Adjusting chain??

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
Whats the recommended spec for play in the chain? Also I really think i need to adjust it badly but won't have access to a rear stand until saturday. Is it ok to adjust while on the ground?

The owners manual say's 20-30mm of play. It also says to adjust the chain on the sidestand, but I dissagree with that and think it's better to do the chain on the rear stand so you can also make sure the sprocket rides dead center of the chain for the alignment rotating the tire with your hand. Some people will say the bike must be on the sidestand because "You need the weight of the bike on the suspension" But I will let you in on a little secret, the spindals are on the swingarm even without spindals the rear stand goes under the swingarm, thus the weight of the bike is still on the suspension. SHhhhh! don't tell anyone..

did it on the sidestand and adjusted to 1/2inch up and 1/2inch down play. measured distance from the end of the swingarm to the end of the adjustment block with calipers n got em dialed in to within .003 of each other

kruzin, while pressure is being applied to the suspension, no weight is being applied to the axle nut when retorquing the nut after the adjustment has been made. weather this matters or not I do not know? I'm not a engineer. I just follow the what the books says to do.

Whats the recommended spec for play in the chain? Also I really think i need to adjust it badly but won't have access to a rear stand until saturday. Is it ok to adjust while on the ground?
The spec is .8-1.2 inches
wink.gif

Go out and get yourself some 5/32 x 1.5" replacement cotter pins as well. They are cheap and prevent any weak breaks from re-using/bending the original over and over.

HoPo only had 2" pins so I had to trim them down myself...PITA.

I adjust my chain using the side stand. I keep it looser rather than tighter. I try it keep it right at .30. Every mechanic I talk with says that looser is better than tighter.

Back