Help!  How do I adjust the friggin chain?

bjewell

Registered
So I call PCP Motorspots here in Sacramento. I have 1900 miles on the Busa, and the next service is at 4000 miles. I had the chain adjusted at @1000 miles. Now I have to have it adjusted again. I have two choices:

1. Take it to PCP, where I bought a service contract when I got the bike. They charge 35 bucks for adjustment and lube.

2. Do it myself. I'm handy with tools, but what do I need? A honking big socket wrench and a rear wheel stand?

I need to adjust my chain. Any suggestions appreciated. And, I don't have a lot of respect for PCP Motorsports.

you have the tools in your kit to do the job... not the best wrench option but it works.. and no you do not need a stand.. makes it a bit easier for loosening and tightening stuff but the chain should be adjusted with the wheel on the ground and preferably with you sitting in the seat..

BTW... why would a HD be any better for this? same routine..

Get a better chain.
lurk.gif

...wow
lurk.gif

download and read the service manual...this is a fundamental task with ownership....unless you are a princess that won't get his/her hands dirty...or a person too busy and can afford to not know how.

...and why would you even consider taking your bike to a place that you do not respect?

...if you want to get realistic....everything you need should be in the tool kit that came with the busa.....it can be done... I have R&R wheels and brake calipers in emergencies with that kit.

beerchug.gif

#1 Dude drink a beer & calm down. Chain adjustment is easy. A few tools & a friend & your done. Need the friend to check the sag w/ you sitting on it.

Don't get a Hardley Ableson

you have the tools in your kit to do the job... not the best wrench option but it works.. and no you do not need a stand.. makes it a bit easier for loosening and tightening stuff but the chain should be adjusted with the wheel on the ground and preferably with you sitting in the seat..

BTW... why would a HD be any better for this? same routine..
It has a belt...no chain.

Recommend getting sockets and if u planning on keeping the bike, and a stand be very handy for lubing the chain. You don't want to take it to service every time u need to lube an tighten a chain. 900 miles wasn't to many miles between adjustments though. Could be just me I go a lot farther in miles b4 needing to tighten. You may want to do your own oil changes to it's not that hard. The more things you learn to do on it the more you will enjoy it.
biggrin.gif

Like everyone said, tools are in your kit. No need for bike stands. Adjust according to your owners manual. It's pretty easy to do!

You don't use a rear stand to adjust the chain anyways. It's easy, I don't see the what the problem is. Loosen the axle, adjust the screws on the side to tighten the chain, set to recommended slack, make sure it's all even and tighten everything up. I highly recommend a quick pin/clip for the rear axle. It beats using a cotter pin every time.

look at the following link. It has a video on how to adjust your chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how much you want for your Busa
rock.gif
?........
super.gif
BTW, the stock drive chain "IS" crap. The question is, if you get yourself a nice, strong 530-performance chain....are you going to let it dry out and go to crap
rock.gif
?.... Hayabusa's are a performance piece of machinery. Tuned and well-kept....they are heaven on earth. Take a deep breathe, have a cold one, get lost in your owner's manual over the second cold-one. Relax, you still own the world's fastest, and best built production motorcycle....unless you've already been to a HD dealer, then, ride safe and watch out for Hayabusa's.....
coolold.gif

rock.gif

Thanks guys... It's me Tommy Quinn, 63 this October and bought my first bike when I was 15. But I haven't adjusted a chain since my new '83 GS1100EZ, and that bike had a centerstand. I can wrench no problem. How about lube?

Thanks again...the old fart around these parts... -L-

It would take you a whole lot longer to take it in than to adjust it yourself. It's like less than 10 minutes to do it.
Hey if you got enough smarts to know how to ride it, you also got way more than enough to do the chain.
beerchug.gif

Like the other guy said "so simple, even a Caveman could do it".
Oh yeah, all new Harleys have belts, but you adjust them the same way. (I got both, I know)

Thanks guys... It's me Tommy Quinn, 63 this October and bought my first bike when I was 15.  But I haven't adjusted a chain since my new '83 GS1100EZ, and that bike had a centerstand.  I can wrench no problem.  How about lube?

Thanks again...the old fart around these parts... -L-
Clean chain with kerosene and a soft brush, nothing metal(old toothbrush)or a rag and find a good chain lube. I use the PJ1 with the blue cap. Works best when the chain is warm for cleaning

Back