adding k&n filter...

How do you clean the K&N? After cleaning, how do you apply the oil? Spray bottle?? 10W40?? I have a K&N with about 6k miles, have tapped out the dirt and bugs but it is ready for cleaning.

K&N sells a kit with the cleaner and oil. Most auto parts stores that sell the filters have it. Easy on the oil and let it sit in the sun for 1/2 hr before reinstalling.

Personally, After I tap it out. I put a vacuum to the inlet side. Weather it helps or not, I don't know. I have a K&N Race. I check it often because I usually find Sand in the bottom of the inlet side of the airbox that I have to vacuum out. At least I know it's not getting through the filter. I then use my BMC air filter spray that I use on my BMC filter for my Turbo Busa and I spray it with a mild coating and let it sit for a half an hour before I put it back in. I never had any problems. I'm Very Anal about oil changes and cleaning the Filter so I do them both quite often. Probably more than I really should. I just like workin' on em'.:laugh:

How do you clean the K&N? After cleaning, how do you apply the oil? Spray bottle?? 10W40?? I have a K&N with about 6k miles, have tapped out the dirt and bugs but it is ready for cleaning.

like they said there is a cleaning kit that comes with two parts one is a cleaning solution and the other is a oil... ive both vacuumed them out and let them sit non the less for best result i usually clean it after im done riding for the night and i let it sit till the morning to ensure its done right. Make sure you do not over oil it all it takes is a light spray across it too much is like trying to suck air through water it just doesnt work very well. I remember when all K&N filters came with cleaning kits and now they are more expensive and they dont come with the cleaning kit... gotta love it

Do3 and Dragon Busa please post up the info you refer to that shows stock flows more than K&N.
If you can't do that I'd ask you to stop repeating that. There are many members who read what we type and believe it, go figure :) But if you can't prove something than your just talking on the side of your.....and doing more harm than good.
Personally I'm tired of hearing that from folks who never offer any proof.

I agree this supposed fact is on every single forum ive ever been on bike boat cars and they all say that paper element filters flow better.. but yet in school we are taught that the reason that the factory filter performs better is because you can set it and forget it. Most people put their filter in and never service it they just forget about it and after so long the paper element filter will outperform a unserviced or over oiled wet filter. K&N BMC and all these other wet filter systems all are designed and perform in the same matter just like how K&N and BMC both have race filters which both have less material in them and flow more because of this. If someone could provide documentation on a flow bench and not a dyno for pure results i would agree but the fact remains everyone wants to rely on so called dyno numbers based off of tuning a bike for a factory filter and not adjusting it for a aftermarket and just slapping one in and running it or intentionally damaging the numbers results in inaccurate numbers. Anyone who knows how to run a dyno can tell you that you can minipulate numbers easily.

K&N Motorcycle Air Filter Recharge How to Video - YouTube[/url]

The person also does a brief comparison of the flow properties between a k/n and a paper filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do3 and Dragon Busa please post up the info you refer to that shows stock flows more than K&N.
If you can't do that I'd ask you to stop repeating that. There are many members who read what we type and believe it, go figure :) But if you can't prove something than your just talking on the side of your.....and doing more harm than good.
Personally I'm tired of hearing that from folks who never offer any proof.
Like I said, a well respected tuner here in the mid south reports hp loss with every KN, all so I paid $65 for one for my wifes SX4 its been in for over three months with no gain in mpg like kn claims. thats proff enuff for me, Ive got a kn hanging on the wall in my shop for a gen1 you can have for free. pay the postage and its yours PM me if you want it.

Like I said, a well respected tuner here in the mid south reports hp loss with every KN, all so I paid $65 for one for my wifes SX4 its been in for over three months with no gain in mpg like kn claims. thats proff enuff for me, Ive got a kn hanging on the wall in my shop for a gen1 you can have for free. pay the postage and its yours PM me if you want it.
P.S. if I had a tre Id give you that to???

If he's so respected he should have no problem sharing this most valuable info with us.
Please get it from him or stop repeating it.

We have discussed this alot of times among our riding group but have yet to come across any concrete evidence which suggests that a stock filter will out flow a k/n . That is like saying that after market exhausts will make less power than stock exhausts.

That is like saying that after market exhausts will make less power than stock exhausts.

I nominate that this statement be made a STICKY pronto. The video you linked is simple and clear enough proof for me

But here's another point of view/opinion to spice things up some more:

On a daily driver they are of little or no benefit, and are not cost effective. They provide no noticeable increase in performance or mpg. In racing applications they do improve performance. They increase air flow in the very upper rpm ranges.

It also depends on what type of K&N air filter you get, if you spend the money on a cold air intake you will get better MPG on the highway and you will get more horsepower. If you get one of their stock replacement air filters it won't be as noticeable but you will be able to keep that for the rest of the cars life and instead of replacing it you can just hose it off.

K&N filters use oil to trap particles, which relative to the size of dust particles is similar to glues. They are also reusable by cleaning them with a hose, allowing them to dry, then reapplying the filter oil. The above posters are correct in that the filters make a negligible difference with typical driving; the change in drag is the square of the change in airflow speed.

And they make you burn through more fuel, especially if you have a stock CPU and it feeds more air through the intake system the CPU needs to balance the fuel to air ratio hence using more fuel to catch the increase of air introduced into the system.

You can't really measure ram air on a dyno, it's calculated.
You also can't really say that at high rpm the stock filter can flow more air than a K&N, BMC, or a Pipercross.
Basic engine principle, more air in and more air out, and tuned right=more power.
The loss or gain of a hp or 2 isn't going to be noticeable anyway, and maybe only on a timeslip...several decimal places to the right. The benefit of never buying another stock filter is enough for most of us.
The rumor that these filters cause hp loss has been floating the org for years, and is only based off a claim from a gen1. Which also had no details of/if any other air box mods. Now this rumor is passed along to the gen2, with still no proof.
I'm not trying to step on any toes either, but I want to see the proof too.
If I was trying to go 200mph+ lsr, or trying to go faster in the 1/4, I'de want to know that I could get more air into the engine than the stock filter allows.
I also had a K&N, then switched it out for the thinner BMC Race. Did I notice power gains? No.
My bike does feel much better in it's throttle response from idle. You can actually hear the difference with either of the aftermarket filters too. There is a noticeably deeper and louder tone from under the gas tank...less restriction of air flow into the throttle bodies.
If there is a hp loss on the dyno, I would assume that loss to go away or become a slight gain when ridden under real world conditions.
This seems like a great project once someone gets the new ecu ediotr autotune feature up and running well.
Check the differences in maps with a stock filter vs a K&N or BMC.:beerchug:

forgot to add that I am now running BMC Race and also experienced what sixpack above shared:

My bike does feel much better in it's throttle response from idle. You can actually hear the difference with either of the aftermarket filters too. There is a noticeably deeper and louder tone from under the gas tank...less restriction of air flow into the throttle bodies.

forgot to add that I am now running BMC Race and also experienced what sixpack above shared:

Thank you for clarifieing sir...that I haven't completely lost my mind.:laugh:

any time that you increase hp you lose fuel economy you dont gain hp and fuel economy at the same time it all depends on how its tuned. Riding down the road you twist the throttle either your twisting it lightly trying to save fuel or your romping on it and well to be honest most people when they do performance upgrades they tend to use them more which we all know it gives you lower fuel economy. Another common mistake is that hey i can just throw in a air filter and wham im going to get super performance... most of the time they never tune for the additional air coming in and add fuel for it just like six pack said air in = air out and when you add more fuel to that mix correctly it = more power. When you dont you create a lean condition which robs a motor of power. That same lean condition that bikes tend to run straight from the factory can be correctly tuned and get better throttle response and more power right out of the box. Another thing to remember is our bikes are built with the same generic fuel map for all of them none of them are individually tuned and all can see an increase over the stock map with a tune. So taking a bike thats already lean adding a filter which makes it even leaner of course is going to rob your bike of power. Its not the filter its the lack of correct fuel mapping for the bike.

I am glad I came across this thread while researching filter options, me being a septic I don't believe many of you. (well, maybe one gent) I just ordered the wrong filter for my bike so getting another to go along with the new pipe, the K&N race filter. I can check with the shop to see if he can get the bike tuned with the race filter then do a run afterwards with the stock filter for comparison. If the stock flows better it will show up with more HP without any further tuning, if not it will show a loss, yes? I do have a brand new non race BMC for sale btw. My experience with Harley's tells me the high flow K&N will add some HP all things being equal, have actually done this testing on a dyno in the past. Diff between tuning a Harley and a metric bike is huge though, metric bikes are much more optimized from the factory compared to the Harley's, just some circumstantial musings on my part.

The only evidence I have is what I saw firsthand with my 06. 2 pulls, with just enough time between them to change filters,oem to bmc race, showed a gain of 1 HP. The oem filter had about 5000 miles on it when it was pulled out. Bmc was brand new.

Take from that whatever you wish:beerchug:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Back