Air filter

busacaptain

Formerly LiquidtySplit
Registered
I know this has been covered before, but opinions change.

I am looking to replace my filter, but don't know which is better the K&N, Pipercross or BMC. What do you guys think?

Any aftermarket filter will breathe better......for the average street ride.....it won't matter much! I use the BMC race.....no reason, just got a good deal on it.

I'm sure some super smart Busa expert will chime in and throw out stats.....in the end, IMO it don't really matter. Just go with a reputable name....

DD

BMC flows better than the K&N. I am personally running the BMC Race, but the choice is yours.

I have both K&N & Pipercross in stock if you want those. (99-09 in stock as of today)

I can get the BMC but don't stock those if that's what you decide. Race filters aren't advisable for general street riding (commuting, travel). Whatever works. All the filter companies think they are the greatest thing since slice bread btw. :laugh:

I case you're wondering, I have the Pipercross in mine. :laugh:

Any aftermarket filter will breathe better......for the average street ride....DD

Not ALL aftermarket filters flow better than stock...K+N does not flow as well as the stock filter, but you can wash and reuse it. BMC race flows very well, but in a dusty environment you should use the street version...I myself have not used the Piper Cross, but have heard good things about it.

My choice is BMC, Piper Cross, Stock, K+N :thumbsup:

Change 1- Delete "ANY" and insert "MOST".

Not ALL aftermarket filters flow better than stock...K+N does not flow as well as the stock filter, but you can wash and reuse it. BMC race flows very well, but in a dusty environment you should use the street version...I myself have not used the Piper Cross, but have heard good things about it.

My choice is BMC, Piper Cross, Stock, K+N :thumbsup:

BMC flows better than the K&N. I am personally running the BMC Race, but the choice is yours.

I personally run K&N in all of my 4-wheel vehicles but since I am constantly servicing and checking the 'Busa I run the BMC race. Flows better but requires more maintenace due to shorter run times between cleaning & re-oiling. JMO

I use K&N, always have and they work well for me.
A K&N will flow better than stock if you use light oiling.
Most people over oil and that blocks the air flow a lot.
You don't need a lot of oil to catch what you need on an average ride (dusty conditions not included).
Heck some guys advocate NO air filter - that gives the best flow of all, but not for me.

JMO

I have the Piper Cross race, but as stated previously, stock filter is fine. I just had some disposable income laying around at the time.:laugh:

I've run K&N filters in many of my vehicles for years. They outflow the stock filter on the K8 Busa if oiled properly. I have seen one K&N filter that was so heavily oiled it caught the bike on fire (not a Busa).

Other filters may flow better, and that would be better for WOT. It can be a detriment for low to mid-range torque, though.

In all you're only talking about 1 or 2 HP difference anyway. Ride. Rinse. Repeat.

:beerchug:

Geo, keep up the mods........ you have till the end of April........:laugh:

Thanks for all your inputs, I went ahead an ordered the BMC. I wanted a washable one because I ride a lot and want to keep it clean. It makes more sense to me than replacing everytime with a stock one at $26 dollars.

Thanks again...

Now to find more things to order... The list is long.. :laugh:

Back