adding k&n filter...

jream

Registered
i have a 2011 with yosh carbon slip ons...
do i need to do any retune or computer changes if i add a k&n air filter?

i've heard if you only change the exhaust to slipons OR change the air filter that you don't have to worry about tunning. but what about both?

Just buy the k/n and enjoy. It baffles me when people say k/n is worse than X , Y ,Z . I have used k/n , bmc and pipercorss. They all were exactly the same. Just pick up the one you can find cheap , You cant go wrong with any.

Just buy the k/n and enjoy. It baffles me when people say k/n is worse than X , Y ,Z . I have used k/n , bmc and pipercorss. They all were exactly the same. Just pick up the one you can find cheap , You cant go wrong with any.

They say it based on testing. But there's still a lot of reasons that someone might go this route and in the end It's Their ride and their money. I don't know that anyone has done any recent testing independent of the manufacturers.

What baffles me is when someone gets upset because someone is trying to be helpful.

To the OP : I'm not a mechanic nor am I a tuner. Slip-ons don't typically help performance because the restriction is in the pipe and cats, not the mufflers / cans. However, they reduce the weight of the bike, and can improve appearance and the sound of the bike.

The last information I had, was that the factory filter flows better than some of the aftermarket filters and If you haven't increased the flow of the exhaust, increasing the flow of the intake doesn't make a significant change if any. Race filters will improve flow but they also allow more dirt to flow through your motor.

To your first question the Gen II has the ability to correct minor changes to the bike. Obviously tuning the bike would in fact probably produce more, but these changes are typically so insignificant that unless your using your bike to set records or making money in some type of racing it's just not necessary or worth the cost IMHO.

Enjoy your bike :thumbsup: That's what it's all about. Hopefully the tuners and mechanics will be along and hopefully we can all learn a little something along the way.

I have a 2012 I put the yosh slip ons the K&N filter and rode the bike, the plugs were white. Then added the Power Commander 5 and rode the bike, checked the plugs and they were carmal tan color. So for me the PC5 is doing the job of correcting the leaning of installing the mods.
Lastly, I wanted more sound so cagers could hear me, but to be blistring loud. and the K&N for I can clean it over without the extra cost of stock media. Preformance was'nt an issue, since the Busa already is quick enough for street use.
PS. keep in mind that my Busa is a CA emmisions bike, where as they are lean right out of the box..........Sorry for the brutal spelling :laugh:

I've been running a K&N on my Gen 1 for 6 years. I bought it because it's cheaper in the long run than buying factory paper filters. I can live with a couple less HP.

Another good point I left out. If you intend on having the bike for years and like riding the clean and oil filters can save you money. On the other hand I forgot my stock filter until 22K miles and it looked darn good when I replaced it. So if you own the bike 5 years and put 6K on it during that time the argument goes away. If you hit dirt roads or ride in a dirty environment it could definitely save you money.

I miss our independent tester.

really? how so?
I paid cash money for the right to make that statment. they make less HP on the dyno, and do not make better mpg, I know this to be fact. From a well know tuner on less hp, and on my wifes sx4 no increase in mpg in real world driving. If your ok with hp loss and bogus claims of mpg gains just to get a reusalbe filter then yea I guess their great. Not just my 2cent, my $65 for one in the wifes suzuki. I dont care what anyone runs in their bike, but it pisses me off when companys make bogus BS claims to make ah buck! So any time some ask me about a product that I know to be BS I warn them.

@ dragonbusa - I did not know that k/n would make less hp to an extent where it will hamper performance . Did you dyno tune your bike and got a better result from using another filter ? Having said that , which one in your opinion flows better for street riding ? I have never dyno tuned my bike and my experience is simply from trying different products .

see this whole K&N flows less than stock is a crock... we flow tested K&N and stock filters at mmi on a flow bench when we were being taught how to test heads and how to measure max cam lift etc and it flowed better than stock as long as it was oiled appropiately the problem most ppl see is that they over oil the filter which drastically reduces the amount of flow that it has. There has never been a single documented case where anybody has been able to prove that that stock flows better than aftermarket on an actual flow bench. People have used supposed dyno runs but its so easy to throw off a dyno intentional or unintentionally conciously or unconciously trying to prove a point. In cars the design flaw most of the time is the air box hence why cold air intakes create so much more power. At the same token unmolested vehicles tend to last longer not because its better quality but because people tend less to think that they are hotrods and dont abuse them as much.

Another good point, if you have a flow bench you can properly oil your air filter and achieve a little better flow :laugh:

The information i spoke of is dated as stated and it was based on dyno test. So since oiling the filter is so critical would you recommend an oil type filter to a new zx-14 owner :whistle:

see this whole K&N flows less than stock is a crock... we flow tested K&N and stock filters at mmi on a flow bench when we were being taught how to test heads and how to measure max cam lift etc and it flowed better than stock as long as it was oiled appropiately the problem most ppl see is that they over oil the filter which drastically reduces the amount of flow that it has. There has never been a single documented case where anybody has been able to prove that that stock flows better than aftermarket on an actual flow bench. People have used supposed dyno runs but its so easy to throw off a dyno intentional or unintentionally conciously or unconciously trying to prove a point. In cars the design flaw most of the time is the air box hence why cold air intakes create so much more power. At the same token unmolested vehicles tend to last longer not because its better quality but because people tend less to think that they are hotrods and dont abuse them as much.

Thank a bunch for posting this........going to keep it handy :thumbsup:

Another good point, if you have a flow bench you can properly oil your air filter and achieve a little better flow :laugh:

The information i spoke of is dated as stated and it was based on dyno test. So since oiling the filter is so critical would you recommend an oil type filter to a new zx-14 owner :whistle:

why yes i would... i would put it in dry since its a self oiling air box lol

Do3 and Dragon Busa please post up the info you refer to that shows stock flows more than K&N.
If you can't do that I'd ask you to stop repeating that. There are many members who read what we type and believe it, go figure :) But if you can't prove something than your just talking on the side of your.....and doing more harm than good.
Personally I'm tired of hearing that from folks who never offer any proof.

Back