Add me to the list

Welcome to the oRg! Be careful out there, plenty of drivers in your way when you ride a busa!

I'd sue Apple. Obviously you were so stressed over the problems you've been having with your iPhone that it caused you to crash. This is definitely Apple's fault and they should buy you a brand new bike no questions asked.

Ok ok I'm kidding....

Sorry about the crash. It happens and has happened to all including the best riders. Get her fixed and climb back on that horse. I'm in Palm Beach county and ride with Busa1166 sometimes. We should get together when you get her squared away.

Parts wise you should contact Justin at Shop Home Honda East Toledo Maumee, OH 1 (877) 437-1631.
He's a sponsor here and nobody can take better care of you than him.
Let me know if you need any help getting it apart or back together.

Okay, 1st off were all glad your okay and everyone is going to tell you to always wear your gear so I won’t get into that. Now, with that said I want to offer some advice. Please don’t take this as me bashing you, because I’m not. I just want to give you something to think about. Legally the person who pulled out in front of you is 100% at fault; in biker rules you are at just as much fault if not more. Sounds harsh but let me explain.

You put yourself in a dangerous situation with your position in relation to the car in the right lane. If you are in the left lane with a car in the right lane, you DO NOT want to be behind that car unless there are several car lengths in-between you too (even though you are in separate lanes). This is hard to explain in words so let me see if I can get my point across. Imagine you are at a stop sign, a light, or waiting to pull out of a parking lot (the car that pulled out in front of you). There are two lanes of traffic and you are waiting to turn (left or right doesn’t matter) you see a car in the right lane but the left lane is clear….so you pull out. The only problem is the far left lane was not clear… A BIKER WAS THERE. The person in the car waiting to turn could not see you because the car in the right lane was blocking the view. You need to be aware of this and correct your lane position whenever you can. If you are in the left lane and there is a car in the right lane make sure you are either far behind it or slightly in front of it. Make sure you are not directly beside it because then you’re in that car’s blind spot. The car in the right lane made you completely invisible.

Look at it like this. I saw a California Hwy Patrol motorcycle safety video one time and one thing hit home for me. There was a car at a Tee in the road (camera view was the driver’s seat). The car was at the stop sign weighting to turn onto the main road. Then from the cameras view you see motorcycle coming from the left hand side, the motorcycle didn’t have a stop sign so he had the right of way. As the motorcycle was approaching the intersection the driver of the car held up a #2 pencil against the glass and the motorcycle was completely blocked from the drivers view for just over 2 seconds. Now a pencil is super thin right. Your car door has 3’’ of steel around you window right? Multiply that by 2 for the back door and the average thickness of the pillion (distance from the glass on the front window to the start of the glass on the back window) is about 6’’. How long do you think you disappear from that driver view now, I bet you’re gone from view for 15 seconds or more. Now, back to your situation; you had no chance in hell, the car that pulled out in front of you never saw you….never. So who’s fault is that really?

Most people will tell you to ride like your invisible, that’s pretty good but I want to up that a bit; ride like everyone is purposely out to get you! I almost went down about 6 months after learning to ride (the closest to crashing I’ve been without actually crashing) doing the very same thing. You got to be careful, practice, practice, practice and the practice some more. Find one of these nice Florida guys to take you for a few rides and give you some life saving tips. The MSF course was a great start, but it was just that, a start. Any brand new bike is not a wise choice, especially the busa. Now that you got her fix her up and ride the hell out of her. I hope you don’t think I am picking on you and I hope I explained the situation well enough for you to understand. I’m a visual learning so I can show you no problem, but writing it all down is a bit lengthy. Sorry about that.

Okay, 1st off were all glad your okay and everyone is going to tell you to always wear your gear so I won’t get into that. Now, with that said I want to offer some advice. Please don’t take this as me bashing you, because I’m not. I just want to give you something to think about. Legally the person who pulled out in front of you is 100% at fault; in biker rules you are at just as much fault if not more. Sounds harsh but let me explain.

You put yourself in a dangerous situation with your position in relation to the car in the right lane. If you are in the left lane with a car in the right lane, you DO NOT want to be behind that car unless there are several car lengths in-between you too (even though you are in separate lanes). This is hard to explain in words so let me see if I can get my point across. Imagine you are at a stop sign, a light, or waiting to pull out of a parking lot (the car that pulled out in front of you). There are two lanes of traffic and you are waiting to turn (left or right doesn’t matter) you see a car in the right lane but the left lane is clear….so you pull out. The only problem is the far left lane was not clear… A BIKER WAS THERE. The person in the car waiting to turn could not see you because the car in the right lane was blocking the view. You need to be aware of this and correct your lane position whenever you can. If you are in the left lane and there is a car in the right lane make sure you are either far behind it or slightly in front of it. Make sure you are not directly beside it because then you’re in that car’s blind spot. The car in the right lane made you completely invisible.

Look at it like this. I saw a California Hwy Patrol motorcycle safety video one time and one thing hit home for me. There was a car at a Tee in the road (camera view was the driver’s seat). The car was at the stop sign weighting to turn onto the main road. Then from the cameras view you see motorcycle coming from the left hand side, the motorcycle didn’t have a stop sign so he had the right of way. As the motorcycle was approaching the intersection the driver of the car held up a #2 pencil against the glass and the motorcycle was completely blocked from the drivers view for just over 2 seconds. Now a pencil is super thin right. Your car door has 3’’ of steel around you window right? Multiply that by 2 for the back door and the average thickness of the pillion (distance from the glass on the front window to the start of the glass on the back window) is about 6’’. How long do you think you disappear from that driver view now, I bet you’re gone from view for 15 seconds or more. Now, back to your situation; you had no chance in hell, the car that pulled out in front of you never saw you….never. So who’s fault is that really?

Most people will tell you to ride like your invisible, that’s pretty good but I want to up that a bit; ride like everyone is purposely out to get you! I almost went down about 6 months after learning to ride (the closest to crashing I’ve been without actually crashing) doing the very same thing. You got to be careful, practice, practice, practice and the practice some more. Find one of these nice Florida guys to take you for a few rides and give you some life saving tips. The MSF course was a great start, but it was just that, a start. Any brand new bike is not a wise choice, especially the busa. Now that you got her fix her up and ride the hell out of her. I hope you don’t think I am picking on you and I hope I explained the situation well enough for you to understand. I’m a visual learning so I can show you no problem, but writing it all down is a bit lengthy. Sorry about that.

There were a line of cars in the rightmost lane and cars behind me in the leftmost lane. Whose fault is it really? Thats not really the question to ask.

If entering a multi-lane main road in the direction of travel from a stop sign should YOU as a cager (or biker for that matter) jump accross to the outer lane BEFORE clearing the the inner lane? You are supposed to merge with the inner lane and then LOOK to ensure there is nothing in the outer lane(s).

You are making excuses for poor cager judgement or even worse, cager indifference. I can't always be in the perfect position to be seen by potential mergers cause I can't always just weave in and out, speed up or make sudden movements. Mind you, from my lane and the cars to the right of me, I couldn't even see the stop sign. This guy jetted across the both lanes when in reality he didn't even have enough room to enter the innerlane. Thats a failure to yield by any standard.

I have to balance wanting to get ahead/ out of the blind spots of everyone with other things like speeding tickets, and unforseen pedestrians (what if that right car was a cop? what would you do? pass him? right......). Thanks for the advice but with the monday morning quarterbacking your doing, IF I was in the inner lane and the same guy cut me off, you would have said that I should have been in the outermost lane.

I already stated that it was the other guys fault. I wasn’t trying to make you mad or do any Monday morning quarterbacking. I was simply trying to get you to think about your lane position and understand how easy it is to put yourself in a bad situation. I know cuz I been there, done that. So if that means that you speed up, or slow down, or even pas a cop, then you do it. You do whatever it takes to make sure you are safe. As a biker you are the only one out there who can do it. You can’t simply follow traffic because you are afraid of getting a ticket. I’m not saying weave in and out like a mad man every time a car come approaches you, but you better damn well develop the defensive skills to know where every car around you is without even thinking about it. Without those skills you will be going down again, guaranteed, and maybe much worse. Again, I’m not trying to piss you off; I simply want to make you aware of how dangerous your lane position can be and I would never defend a stupid arse cager like the one who pulled out in front of you. Iit’s us against them and we are bar far outnumbered. The only way to develop the necessary rider survival skills is to have someone show you what to do, and for you to practice them. Im not trying to bust your balls, you’re a rookie so I was just trying to help…I guess I came off wrong. Another skill you need to learn (and it is very hard to do) is learn how to judge the speed of oncoming traffic. You need this because one of the worst things that can happen to you is the an oncoming car making a left hand turn in front of you with no warning. If you can tell that an oncomming car is starting to slow down you acn better prepair yourself for when they do pull out.

I am glad you were not hurt. You were lucky bro, wear that gear. Practice using both breaks in a parking lot or someplace safe where you can feel out how much braking power you have and the point at which you lock both the front and rear. Then practice practice practice. It will work better than trying to modulate the rear. :beerchug:

^^What he said. :)

Doesn't sound to me like you had an accident BECAUSE of the bike you were on at all. Sounds like a driver that dove into traffic blind and you may be in need of a bit of braking practic. All things considered, you did fairly well and came through relatively unscathed.

Don't give up on both brakes together. Instead, like Dino said, get to a clean parking lot and practice using them together. Adding the rear brake late would actually complicate matters as it would lock more easily...it's actually a classic mistake to avoid the rear break and then add it in "if needed".

Also, engine braking would not have helped as it only affects the rear wheel, which you already had locked, so you obviously don't need more than the rear brake there. Besided, that would just give you a "third brake" to manange in a panic stop when only two will get the same result with less "business".

Glad you're OK and best of luck healin' up and gettin' back on the road!

OH, and....

:welcome:

When your putting your bike back together since you'll have your fairings off you should consider this https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/124304-gen2-hid-install.html

HIDs will def help folks see you better. Ride with both beams on all the time.
South Florida driving is unique because we deal with the two deadliest cagers daily.

Old retired four rooters and vacationers.

Neither know where they are going or use blinkers because they are either old and can't or driving a rental and don't know how. I honestly dont think people in other states understand how it is here unless they've been. I feel like the frog in frogger :)

Thanks for the advice. I still don't understand how the tail just came out to the right despite traveling along a straight road even with with the rear locked.

Typically roads are designed to drain and the wheel when locked is going to the low point. In your case to the right, which is normal. If you ease up on the brake the bike will straighten out for you.

When your putting your bike back together since you'll have your fairings off you should consider this https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/124304-gen2-hid-install.html

HIDs will def help folks see you better. Ride with both beams on all the time.
South Florida driving is unique because we deal with the two deadliest cagers daily.

Old retired four rooters and vacationers.

Neither know where they are going or use blinkers because they are either old and can't or driving a rental and don't know how. I honestly dont think people in other states understand how it is here unless they've been. I feel like the frog in frogger :)

Thanks, I will definitely be getting those. For the record tho, this incident happened during the day.

Question for you. Who should I go to for an estimate of the bike damage? There is everything motorcycles on US-1
but I want to see what else is out there? Got any suggestions?

Even during daylight HIDs will def help you be seen and possibly avoid a repeat.
I ride with both beams on 24/7.

Glad you are ok brother :)
I'm fairly new to my bike 4000 + miles

Reading stuff like this makes me understand even more
That I need to b very very careful out there :(

I was gonna take a left the other day ( green light green arrow ) but for some reason I hesitated for a second , well 2 seconds later a car flew by the light ( ran it at over 50 mph )
I took a deep breath and went home
:)

God b with us !!

If you had the green arrow, that guy took the red light blatantly! was there cars in the opposite side making a left (they would have green arrow too) that you couldn't see behind?

Even during daylight HIDs will def help you be seen and possibly avoid a repeat. I ride with both beams on 24/7.

Yup

Question for you. Who should I go to for an estimate of the bike damage? There is everything motorcycles on US-1 but I want to see what else is out there? Got any suggestions?

:welcome: aboard! :hello:

Sorry your first post is in here, but glad you're here to post it!

first off, welcome to the Org...

sorry about your get off that bites, i am not to familiar with Florida and what's available there for a quote, i am sure Blanca might know or maybe someone else from there, chances are you can pretty much look and see the damage, but it wouldn't hurt to get a trained eye to help ya

For a motorcycle famous for triple digit speeds, the best thing you can do is practice stopping this beast we choose to drive. Invest in good brakes, and the time to use them. With near 600 lbs under you, stopping will save you more often than accelerating.

I always practice slow speed maneuvering, braking, and scanning for bad things. The Busa in the right hands is a thing of beauty, if you make good choices.

Welcome and keep us posted to the follow up. :welcome:

For a motorcycle famous for triple digit speeds, the best thing you can do is practice stopping this beast we choose to drive. Invest in good brakes, and the time to use them. With near 600 lbs under you, stopping will save you more often than accelerating.

I always practice slow speed maneuvering, braking, and scanning for bad things. The Busa in the right hands is a thing of beauty, if you make good choices.

Welcome and keep us posted to the follow up. :welcome:

^^ :thumbsup:

As they say...

...."It's not how fast can you go, it's how fast can you stop." :beerchug:

I would have written down the A-holes plate number. People like that are so clueless.... That person caused you pain, suffering and most of all damage to the bike... (at least that is how I see it, lol). Glad you are OK. Keep you head up, eyes peeled and alert at all times.

Back