Add me to the list

kanjy

Registered
Well I just set up my profile on this website and I was just about to introduce myself as a new busa owner (and relatively new rider...). Unfortunately my first post on this website is in the accident/crash forum because that is exactly what happened. Lets cut to the chase. I was traveling north on US1 (MIAMI, FL around SW 244TH st) near a goodwill on the right hand side. I was in the left most lane (speed lane) going along with traffic and someone pulled out across both lanes into the speed lane to avoid the car in the right lane. Of course those maneuvers are risky as they hope nothing is coming in the left most lane. But I was coming... and he cut me off momentarily significantly reducing my stopping distance.

So of course, I braked, I got on the front and the rear brake but I got on the rear to hard... tail came out to the right and couldn't recover I low sided and bike front tire hit the median. landed just above my left but cheek (I am bit... ok... alot overweight but I think my fat cushioned the blow some) and then on my back. I had a helmet, regular jeans, book bag, I left the jacket at home (its freakin HOT!) and I had good work type boots with steel shank and support for my ankle. Got one road rash mark just above my elbow and thats it. As soon as it happened I popped up (adrenaline) and felt my left cheek and leg. definitely bruised, but nothing broken or ripped. Of course no one showed any goodwill to me. no one stopped. Until another...get this... busa rider shows up (first gen, red on silver). He stops to help me and we get the bike across the street to the goodwill. More and more I feel my cheek and left thigh, started to limp a bit but still could move and help with the bike. I called triple A and got it towed back to my house. I was able to help with that too.

My assessment of this situation is pretty straight forward. I got on the rear to hard despite being cut off. Rider error + inconsiderate drivers = crash.

I had more front brake stopping power available. This could have happened on ANY bike. you lock the rear and can't control it you will go down. They drilled into us at MSF course to use both brakes and, even if the rear slides, keep on it. Not so sure now. My first reaction should have been to use more front brake. From this experience in an emergency braking situation, I will always front brake first then modulate the rear if needed. Coulda tried to down shift too to take advantage of engine braking (I have practiced this coming to short distance stops at red lights.)

As for the bike... not too bad but significant, stator cover cracked, front wheel appears to be bent, handle bars not aligned with wheel and left side fairing front got mashed up some and a couple of scratches on the rear left side fairing and exhaust (stock).

Ok guys, so lets review,

- New bike
- New rider (I know I'm going to get the I told you so and you shouldn't have a busa as first bike deal now.. please have at it if you must but at least I know what went wrong and owned up to it.)
- Locked up rear, low sided.
- walked away with bruised but cheek, strained thigh muscle, and one rash mark above my elbow

Am I lucky? You better believe it. Where I got ejected was a turn lane for the goodwill for south bound traffic in the middle. Had I high sided and been ejected into the northbound lanes I would have been run over for sure. I was going the speed limit, had I been speeding I would have ran right into his back as he came into the left most lane. Right lane immediately next to me was occupied by a car. Only thing left is my reaction time and rider skill for braking. Reaction time good, rider skill needs improvement, obviously. Financially, this is going to hurt no doubt about it.

So thats my crash story pics below

quick bio:

Age -28 going into 29
Occupation - Nuclear Engineer (I work for FPL turkey point nuclear units 3 and 4)

Mindset - nerdy with a touch of bad boy for the ladys. Pimp with a limp (mostly limp tho not much pimp :laugh:).

Cage - bmw 335i - twin turbo :), yea i do like speed. No cage accidents that were my fault.

So guys that is my story. Pics of my poor baby below:

011.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Ouch.. glad ur ok. Bike can always be fixed and trust me no one on this site will bash you about anything you did right or wrong. This site is filled with good ppl, if you need anything to get u back up and running let us know!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Ouch.. glad ur ok. Bike can always be fixed and trust me no one on this site will bash you about anything you did right or wrong. This site is filled with good ppl, if you need anything to get u back up and running let us know!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words, I was expecting a brutal beating with my story, but I was mistaken. I'm also feeling much better. My lower left back, upper thigh are still a bit tender but my limp is way less drastic then 2days ago.

I feel lucky but I also feel I could have done more to control that tail slide. I kinda blanked and let off the throttle. It happened so fast. The slide to the right was totally unexpected as it was a straight road. I have had to do sliding stops before at red lights and the slide was straight and predictable. On a smaller bike I think the outcome would have been the same. I have to say though, doing the speed limit saved my life and at least gave me some room to brake even if I didnt execute the braking as well as I'd hoped. Had I been going faster by 10+ mph (I would have to have been really flying to possibly bypass the car b4 it entered the leftmost lane, I of course didn't have a crystal ball so that wasn't gonna happen), I would have clocked that car and been ejected from the bike into the north bound lane were someone behind me would have almost with certainty run me over.
Naturally, my baby is out of commission until I can get an estimate for repairs.
The two things that worries me the most are the stator cover which is leaking oil, and there is a possibilty that the forks are bent. While I was moving the bike I noticed that when I engaged the front brake the front forks didn't compress.

Here is a summary of what I might need to get me back up and running:

- 2011 black/red left side fairings, front fairing, tail base and left nub.
- clutch lever
- new stator cover and slider/protector (hopefully the stator wasn't damaged)
- left side footpeg
- after market exhaust to replace stock cans
- frame sliders which I should have got from the beginning.
- new front wheel,
- wheel alignment
- new fork assembly (hopefully not, $$$)

If anyone can help with these items so I don't have to go to the stealer let me know, would love to hear from any Miami locals...

Glad you're ok, man.

I hope you've learned a few lessons, i.e. always wear a jacket, practice doing emergency stops...and don't buy a Hayabusa as your first bike!

Welcome to the oRg. I am sorry about the get off, did the driver of the vehicle that cut you off not even stop? The bike can fixed and/or replaced. Glad you are ok. :welcome:

I am glad you were not hurt. You were lucky bro, wear that gear. Practice using both breaks in a parking lot or someplace safe where you can feel out how much braking power you have and the point at which you lock both the front and rear. Then practice practice practice. It will work better than trying to modulate the rear. :beerchug:

Welcome to the oRg. I am sorry about the get off, did the driver of the vehicle that cut you off not even stop? The bike can fixed and/or replaced. Glad you are ok. :welcome:

He cut me off and then ran of course. If he saw me he probably didn't care. His goal was to get across into the left most/speed lane (2 lanes) cause he has no patience and he would have been rear-ended or T-BONED/broad sided for sure by the car on the right of me had he popped out into the right hand lane.

I am glad you were not hurt. You were lucky bro, wear that gear. Practice using both breaks in a parking lot or someplace safe where you can feel out how much braking power you have and the point at which you lock both the front and rear. Then practice practice practice. It will work better than trying to modulate the rear. :beerchug:

Thanks for the advice. I still don't understand how the tail just came out to the right despite traveling along a straight road even with with the rear locked.

Glad you're ok, man.

I hope you've learned a few lessons, i.e. always wear a jacket, practice doing emergency stops...and don't buy a Hayabusa as your first bike!

Yea, the day I decide not to wear my jacket! I was lucky cause where I landed, the jacket (nor rider jeans for that matter), wouldnt have done anything for me. Maybe race leathers if they have hip pads, I can't fit race leathers.. I am PLUS sized 325 lbs 5'9")

Lets get this clear, I don't think there is any correlation to this incident and the cc's of the motor. I was going the speed limit (40 MPH) so the argument that the bike had too much power is irrelevant; I wasn't using it.

I blanked and, honestly, didn't even try to recover the tail slide (I could of if I had focused more on the front brake and keeping my eyes and head straight). I slid, low sided and hit the median. The same would have happened on 125cc dirt bike.

The difference is, of course, this is going to cost me alot more money to recover from then a small dirt bike. Financially a new expensive bike is a bad decision for someone new to motorcycling, yes. I felt that in "C" mode the power to weight ratio of the bike is managable and I would take it slow and work my way to "A" mode over a couple of years.

I accepted the financial risk. AND I have taken it slow with the bike. I've kept it in chicken "C" mode (knocks off 50 HP at the crank) for 2 months/ 3000 miles going back and forth to work and little trips to the shops or bank. I worked on U turns, figure 8s, and (yes!) emergency braking like I learned from the MSF course.

On this particular jaunt I was heading to the apple store to get a replacement phone in a mall about 20 miles north of where I stay. Not the first time I made that jaunt either BTW. Luck was not on my side and my skills were put to the test. I have definitely learned from this and will practice my emergency braking as soon as I can get up and running again.

I've been told that there are 2 kinds of riders...those who have wrecked and those who are gonna. Fix up the bike, learn from this and keep riding.

sorry bout someone else's inattention, but thats pretty common... just glad your good...

as for the front brakes- be careful... you can kinda controll the back-end lockup, no-way to controll the front end lockup tho... and dont ask how i know:whistle:

sorry bout someone else's inattention, but thats pretty common... just glad your good...

as for the front brakes- be careful... you can kinda controll the back-end lockup, no-way to controll the front end lockup tho... and dont ask how i know:whistle:

Ok I wont ask... so... how do you know? ??? :laugh:

Sorry to hear, you are in my neck of the woods. I am by Palmetto Expwy and coral way. I ride down to homestead a lot to watch the ccs/ama and other cycle races there.

Sorry to hear this, but Im glad you are ok, bike parts are easy to replace, ours not so easy.

Glad you are ok brother :)
I'm fairly new to my bike 4000 + miles

Reading stuff like this makes me understand even more
That I need to b very very careful out there :(

I was gonna take a left the other day ( green light green arrow ) but for some reason I hesitated for a second , well 2 seconds later a car flew by the light ( ran it at over 50 mph )
I took a deep breath and went home
:)

God b with us !!

Back