Aaaaaaahhhhhhh.

newman

Registered
One of my dogs Max an Alsatian Rottweiller cross has just knocked a whole pot of tea over my laptop and now it won't turn on.:banghead:
I'm having to use my old one.

He got up on the settee to give me a kiss and have some fuss and decided to get on the coffee table and the tea went over.
Oh well it was an accident.
Can't tell the big lump off for that.

Going to see if it dries out.
The power light is on it just won't boot up.

Usually the keyboard can be removed by taking some of the screws off the bottom. You can tell which ones because they have a litle keyboard symbol next to them. You can also go online and find out how to take it apart. Then just wipe everything down and reassemble. If it's ruined you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

If you do take it apart then use a fan or maybe a hair dryer on low to help dry it out.
Good that it was only tea. Hope it didn't have sugar in it.:laugh:

I wud be dam sure its DRY before u dry turning it back on. but if it went kapoof and won't turn on then its likely u fried the motherboard.

I wud be dam sure its DRY before u dry turning it back on. but if it went kapoof and won't turn on then its likely u fried the motherboard.

Agreed. If it got wet with the power on there's a good chance it's toast. Especially since it powers up but doesn't boot. As others have said, if you can get it good and dry before you try to power it on you have a better chance of things going well.

Don't forget you can always remove the hard drive if it's still good and plug it into another laptop as a second drive (most have two slots) to get your data back.

Just tried it and it worked.:thumbsup:

Put it in the cupboard with the water heater all night.
So relieved, it cost me over a $1000.
Couldn't afford that again so I was looking for a cheaper one.
All seems good now.

Yay, glad that worked out!! Now, keep the dog away from liquids, keep newman away from super glue...the list is growing of items that are deemed hazardous in your home :p

Just tried it and it worked.:thumbsup:

Put it in the cupboard with the water heater all night.
So relieved, it cost me over a $1000.
Couldn't afford that again so I was looking for a cheaper one.
All seems good now.

Just curious, you have a water heater in your cupboard? Is that an England thing?
Most homes in the US have a water heater in the basement or garage.
What size might that water heater be?
Are you saying that the water heater also heats the "cupboard" up and therefore dried out the laptop?

Glad it worked out for you.

I think you learned your lesson - keep all liquids away from the laptop.
Accidents do happen - but they can't happen if the conditions are not there.
Kinda like you can't have an accident in a car if you don't get in one. :no:

Most homes here in the UK have the water heater in a cupboard.
As for size you get a bath full of hot water out of them on average.

In the old days the cupboards were called airing cupboards because people put cloths in there after they dried to air, to remove any dampness.

The older heaters gave out a lot of heat then they started lagging them to stop the heat escaping the newer ones are more solid and don't give out so much heat.

Back