A positive encounter

Mikey D

Registered
So I'm riding home from work (side job - 35 miles from home)Monday evening, it's 7:30 PM and I'm feelin a bit frisky. 78 degrees out and a perfect night for a ride. Havent ridden Suzie in too many months and I'm enjoyin life. Speed limit on Rt 10 is 55 and I'm doing a polite 80-85 ish.

Now, usually passsin someone involves twistin just a bit harder, but tonight, in the unusually chiper mood I'm in, I signal, down shift once and twist it real good.

(yeah, yeah I know, watch your grammer Mikey)

I get where I want to be (in front of that slow cage) and throttle it back down to my prior respectful speed.

After passin this lucky individual in lane #2 (there's 4 lanes + a HOV lane (HOV stands for Mikey's private lane) I'm wantin to get into the HOV lane. Fortunately there's two more peeps just wantin to be passed.

Well...

I politely signal my intent to change lanes, click down two more times, and quickly rotate the right hand grip towards myself until it can rotate no more. (anyone out there ever nail it while doing 80 in third? Bwahahaha!) I take it to the top of third while passing these lucky individuals

(Luck is in the eye of the be-holder, behold Suzie with the titanium 2 bros racing exhaust, winding up third with the front wheel in the air! Not a 12 o-clock, but a real nice 8-10 inches off the ground.)

Boy do I love this bike!

Once again I get where I wanna be and throttle back to my formally reasonable 80-85ish and proceed to cruise along in my own private lane.

I occasionally glance in my sideview (Yep, here it comes) and I see a single headlight, far away, approaching at a high rate of speed. I can tell it's not a rocket cause of the very stable, non-jttery way the light is moving. I figure it's gotta be a cruiser, Goldwing type-o-bike so's I'm not gonna be doing the high speed traffic dance, and I don't accelerate to meet em. (Lucky for me!)

As they approach I move over to give this person some room and notice the headlight is gone from my mirror. I figure this means they are comming up along side on my left and I signal and move over (yes out of my very own lane) to lane #4. As I am changing lanes I see the blue & red pinball's light up.

I know we've all been there, done sumptin seriously in violation of our silly traffic laws & see those lights light up. My heart starts beatin even faster and I figure I'm gonna see handcuffs, or at the very least a criminal speeding ticket...

I motion to the cop with my left hand as to which side he would like me to pull over. He looks at me, frowns, (Ohh sh!t in spades!) pauses for a second and then with a downward pointing motion, points at his gauges. Then rides away.

Folks, he let me off!

Now I don't know how fast I was going. (OK class, who can tell me what the top of 3rd gear is with stock sprockets?) But I know he saw me light her up. And I know I was more than double the speed limit. And I was doing more than 25 over the limit when he came up on me. The only thing I can figure is he saw me signal each time I changing lanes, and I wasn't being a prime ice-hole and weaving through traffic. Maybe he saw the bike and had so much respect for the Busa he gave me a break? Maybe he just got some nookie and was feeling good himself?

Who knows.

But I'd personally like to thank him, and all the other LEO out there who have cut someone a break.

I still love this bike!

cool.gif

Wish we all had that luck with cops, it'd make riding so much more fun.
biggrin.gif

Many of my customers are LEO's and they generally are good natured folks.  I've been given several breaks by ones around here that I don't even know.  Having a helmet, protective gear, common sense while riding and respectful tone when talking with them goes a LONG way!!  I know for a fact that having them see my bike and chatting with them at the shooting range has saved me at least one ticket. They know we have plenty of places to run the bikes fast outside of town where NO one would ever notice. Around town, 10 to maybe 20 over and you probably will get away with it, beyond that, break out the check book.

<!--EDIT|FL Knifemaker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112295809 -->

Sounds like you got very lucky! Might want to be careful for a while though.

Hey Mikey, go buy a lotto ticket, bro...
wink.gif

Oh, and I believe 3rd winds up to around 150-155 with stock gearing.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Nice.
biggrin.gif
Once I was riding with Diesel and Tspoole, they were way ahead because I was riding back with Brian and Gsxr600 friend, going down hill I topped 100 as local deputy comes up the hill. I made eye contact with him (i have tinted face shield so I don't think he made eye contact with me) I saw him slow a bit and then he just threw up his hands as if to say, "forget it" That was a nice.

I think I need to slow down.
sad.gif

Yep ... your lucky charm was working full time ... thank good ness for the understanding LEO's that give us a break every now and then.

Headin' northbound on I95 I top an overpass to find a trooper stopped in the emergency lane southbound on the other side of the bridge. I was running 175 (indicated) as he watched me go by. He never lit up or moved, might have called on me. I kept that pace for about 8 miles to the next exit, went to a nearby friend's house and parked it for awhile. Never heard anything about it.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112299835 -->

Hey Mikey, go buy a lotto ticket, bro...
wink.gif

Oh, and I believe 3rd winds up to around 150-155 with stock gearing.
wink.gif
I supposed you used a speed calculator to determine that
wink.gif
Ummm, yeah... of course man! I'd never have been stupid enough to figure it out by toppin' out third gear on the back of Cheaha Mountain in Alabama. That would be insane!
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112301601 -->

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

Back