A HAYBUSA AT STURGIS

Walris

Registered
Who'dda thunk it!
In the Land of Harley, my Hayabusa was king.
My son and I rode to Sturgis (about 2k RT), me on a CVO Street Glide, he on my tricked out Busa.
No one said boo about my 40K ride, but everyone wanted to talk about the Suzuki. I found it ridiculously amusing and proof the Harley Jap-bike hating stereotype is bogus.
My boy found the Suzuki comfortable, fast and easy to ride with raised bars, higher double bubble and lowered seat. But, in truth, the only time I envied him was when I was muscling my whale through tight canyon turns - at ridiculously slow speeds - and he left me in the dust.
BTW, both bikes got the same gas mileage, which surprised me.

I did Sturgis back in 2006 when the bike was relatively new. I pulled up to Sturgis Harley Davidson so I could buy a sh!t ton of T-shirts for friends. I came out and there were six gentlemen in leathers and colors standing there looking at it.

Crazy as it sounds they and their wives, girlfriends wanted to sit on it and take pictures.

The trip was great and the people were warm and friendly.

Sturgis baby !!!!

DB7C7C9F-63CD-4F85-9BD3-794145EF54F8.jpeg

Hi guys,
Hope everyone is well.
I had a similar experience here in South Australia.
We rode up into the hills here for a little bike gathering.
My brother on his gotta say stunning custom but not silly CVO breakout HD,my nephew on his KTM thingo and me on my black 2019 Busa.
We parked in the church carpark which was just off but close to the footpath.
People walking down looking around veered off towards my bike for a look as soon as they saw it and couldn't give a hoot about his Harley.
He made mention of it later.
He was spewing.
This guy in a Ducati jacket was the best.
He just hung a hard left and left his mates and beelined to my bike as soon as he saw it.
Such is the iconic status of the Busa I reckon.
Hence my number plate.
ANICON.
Cheers
Shane.

I did Sturgis back in 2006 when the bike was relatively new. I pulled up to Sturgis Harley Davidson so I could buy a sh!t ton of T-shirts for friends. I came out and there were six gentlemen in leathers and colors standing there looking at it.

Crazy as it sounds they and their wives, girlfriends wanted to sit on it and take pictures.

The trip was great and the people were warm and friendly.
We swung by Sturgis in the middle of spring during a family road trip and were shocked by how tiny the Harley Davidson store is there! I expected it to be massive considering Sturgis' status, but it seems more like a small town that just gets overrun once a year, LOL

We swung by Sturgis in the middle of spring during a family road trip and were shocked by how tiny the Harley Davidson store is there! I expected it to be massive considering Sturgis' status, but it seems more like a small town that just gets overrun once a year, LOL
I watch a documentary on Sturgis, it's like a little Ghost Town the rest of the year, everyone seems to think its bigger than what actually is.

@Walris

big grin - yeah - in some circumstances(?) the times had change - lol

and yes , dennis is right to ask 4 pics with one busa between thousands of hd´s
should be funny ;)
Sadly, I'm not much for photos on vacations. Took one snap of Devil's tower, one snap of Rushmore, some scene vista shots at Custer State Park, which is freaking aweseome.
Don't have any showing bike in sea of Harleys or pix of the Busa & CVO side by side. Really not my thing.
Busa drew attention at cafes, gas stations, tourist traps - and on the side street we parkd on in Sturgis (just off the main drag). Riding up there is great and varied. Recommend if you've never been, regardless of the rally, which is way more tame than Daytona.

Did you stop by the Crazy Horse monument? It won’t be completed in my lifetime but it will be incredible when it is. It’s very close to Rushmore. I know what you mean about the attention the Busa gets on tour. On my first tour in 07 at a gas station somewhere a guy rode in on a fancy BMW. After he unplugged his gear from the bike and flipped up his modular helmet, he walked around the Busa and muttered in wonderment something like, ‘a touring Hayabusa huh’. Gave me a big smile.

Oddly enough a Hayabusa around here is invisible-if it isn't a lifted truck or tuner car, people generally ignore it..

However, the last few times I took it to do an errand, I've had people come over to look at it and want to know all about it....

One guy said he has only seen pictures of a Hayabusa but has never seen one in person and he loved mine and loved the color as he has never seen a picture of one that color...and I told him he never will as it is a one off...

I was there back in the 90's and saw a Suzuki Dealership which I thought was odd ?

Back in the 80's I rode a GS550 from LA to Tampa and the only bikes I saw on the road was Harley's and Goldwing's.

Back in the 70's I was on a GT750 and came up on a group of Hell's Angles on I 10 around Colton Ca. and they couldn't keep up. I left them in a sea of blue smoke, those were the days.

Did you stop by the Crazy Horse monument? It won’t be completed in my lifetime but it will be incredible when it is. It’s very close to Rushmore.
IDK about @Walris , but I did! Wasn't on the bike though...parents and I drove from FL to ND, across to Glacier NP, down to NV, and across TX back to FL...giant triangle. We went through a little of everything...Boot Hill, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, the 4 corners, Promontory Point, Devils Tower, Roswell, Alamo, etc...

As someone who had never been to the Rockies, the craziest thing to me was the vast climate changes...it was 90F+ with stupid humidity and a tropical storm when we left FL, but was still below 30F with snow all across the northwest and then 100F+ in the NV/NM desert with zero humidity.

Back