Red1100cc and his boy go to Sturgis/the blackhills

red1100cc

Registered
i have been trying to get out of town scene last Thursday.
at 1st i was going to do a Thursday Friday trip. i had to be back in town to work a rally sat.
well, my cousin wouldn't babysit so i could ride. then we cancelled our participation in the rally/flop (glad we did but :banghead:)
so maybe a Sunday Monday trip. nope had to work Sunday night. i show up to work and my buddy Linn is there running the system. "im covering so you can go to Sturgis. i thought you were there already!":banghead:
in the mean time the Harley starts leakin like a sive. coil shorts out on the rear cylinder killing the bike. ez fix but im not takin that thing to Sturgis!
then i have a revilation. my son and i have not done much this summer. last time i hung out in the splash pond at Rushmore KOA i was kidless and everyone looked at me like a chimo. there are a dozen things i wanted to do but haven' t because i want to take my son. lets take Riley! :cheerleader:
heck, he' s my late night working in the shop buddy. He's the one i want to teach good things to in this world. "Common Buddy, lets go to Sturgis!" :beerchug:

nope we didn't ride. he is 10 and just can't quite do it. if i had a hack!!!:please: we stole the wifes CRV and booked it.

we hit the road about 1pm and made it to Sturgis, non stop, by ??? i donno 5ish. had to park in the supermarket parking lot, 1hr max! and they mean it! i put my receipt on the dash just to keep from getting towed.

we had just enough time to go see D-Dog and Mike Bass at the AIM/NCOM building on main, and boggie back. Riley made me buy a patch with him. now he has a cool devil wing harleyish patch and i have a $10 very unlicensed "Hayabusa" patch. the seller even asked "whats a Hayabusa?" :banghead:#3+

well we mad it back to the car just in time. 1hr 1min. they were towing the bike next to me nd the boy and i took off across the parkinglot hopeing it was not our vehicle.
thank god it wasn't!!

we got out of town only losing a half empty pack of smoke and $20 freakin dollars for a few patches.
we gtf outa there before it ate our souls and headed to Rushmore.

Riley wanted ribs, so we stopped at Famous Dave's in Rapid.
Mmm we shared a full rack and sides :thumbsup: good choice Son!

we made it just in time for the lighting ceremony. a 10min. ranger speech with a 20min. movie and a vet honor/flag ceremony at the end. i made my son stand and cover his heart and clap at the appropriate times. (good daddy.:thumbs: )

set up camp at Rushmore KOA about 10pm and have been hanging out with the boy havin fun.

We are going to reptile gardens tomorrow!:cheerleader:

and ya know?? i don;t feel bad for not riding. i have done this trip a thousand times. on a bike during rally week just doesn't do it for me! why overheat my bike and fight the crazy? i donno, just not into it! ???

here a re a few pics. more awesome reptiles tomorrow! :cheerleader:

sounds like a good time spent with great company :beerchug:

You two have fun Russ. I'll be daydreaming of being out there riding in Custer state park.

:laugh: sorry about that. the pics didn't upload. my cpu battery was dying and i had just enough time to hit "Submit". i didn't know if the pics made it or not. :banghead:

we got up about 8am and tore down camp. Riley wanted to go swimming so off we go for a morning swim. they have a splash pad with lots of water features and a pretty nice pool.

awake and revitalized we were off to Rapid to have breakfast. i could have found breakfast closer, but there is NO Parking in Keystone, and i knew the Perkins would still be serving breakfast. :beerchug: the coffie was just what i needed.

the rest of the day was spent at Reptile Gardens. :cheerleader:
we saw the bird show, the snake show, and the crok and alligator show. we played with the giant turtles. looked at ....well everything! they have alot of snakes i have never even heard of. the rarest, the longest fangs, the most deadly, the unique and pretty, they had them all. :thumbs:

finally pooped, we begin to head home via Iron Mountain Road.

i tell ya, even on 4 wheels i was cursing the slow Harleys. i don't think any of them know how to ride. i saw everything you should not do on a bike, done on a bike up there. and every other one is an Electraglide. i didn't see a Busa at all. :down:
lots of people from the south and eastern states too.

we stopped for dinner in Newcastle and then burned it home. got in about 10:30pm.

we had a great time. i think Riley will remember this forever.
i will have to grab the snake pics from my sons phone tomorrow. these are the pics i WAS going to post last night. :beerchug:

2012-08-06_16-33-40_476.jpg

2012-08-06_16-33-49_355.jpg

2012-08-06_16-27-24_195.jpg

2012-08-06_16-34-36_211.jpg

2012-08-06_18-22-15_279.jpg

2012-08-06_18-35-18_449.jpg

2012-08-06_19-26-46_3.jpg

2012-08-06_21-39-57_734.jpg

2012-08-06_21-31-43_407.jpg

spitting cobras, rhinoceros iguana, death adder, cottonmouth, Maniac the giant Crocodile, all the other gators and crocks and caymen, the komodo dragon, the bird show, the snake show (Ahh rattle snakes and king cobra!)and my favorite the TURTLES!! that place was so cool! we had a blast!
:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

0807121250a.jpg

0807121251a.jpg

0807121252.jpg

0807121528b.jpg

0807121530a.jpg

0807121517.jpg

0807121333.jpg

0807121422.jpg

0807121421.jpg

0807121418.jpg

I remember that place Russ. I think I went there as a kid. Hope all is going well for you two.

:)

I remember that place Russ. I think I went there as a kid. Hope all is going well for you two.

:)

yes, we rode right by there on the way to Rushmore. it's between Rapid and Keystone. :thumbs:

Riley and I had a great time.
im back home now rackin up the miles on the Busa again. :beerchug:

Awesome time!!!! :thumbsup:

Saw the first pic of your son with the tortise and at first I thought it was a playground ride.

Back