A Fun Sunday that had a bad ending! Another goes down!

Thanks for sharing this... the group mentality thing can turn very dangerous..even when you gave the rules of the ride...things went haywire...This has happend on one of our last rides...no crashes but if it had it would have been ugly.........
Glad the guy is gonna survive....

No in North Carolina, South of Franklin Va. The roads in Pungo suck compared to this one! I live 3 minutes away from Pungo. To get this road it takes almost an hour to ride too!

Last edited:
How ironic, there is a post here where a guy is showing off his go pro on SBR, and he actually mentioned that he saw this wreck . . . . .

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/138439-gopro-video-sunday-ride.html

I know who this member is! Its CrazyArch... Willie! We have both ridden the road together and no issues! We both know our own limits .Again as mention before "KNOW YOUR OWN LIMITS AND CHECK YOUR PRIDE AT THE DOOR!" This was a newbie to this group as well as I was..... They know each others skill, not mine or the other guys.

Testing each others skills on public roads seldom have happy endings!

On this day it was his turn. After reading your thread it appears he evaded death by a very narrow margin!

How ironic, there is a post here where a guy is showing off his go pro on SBR, and he actually mentioned that he saw this wreck . . . . .

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/138439-gopro-video-sunday-ride.html

Tim actually showed me where the road is. I got there right after Tim and the guys left the area and I saw the guy's bike on the wrecker. Really shook me up and the ride and filming was very serious, I was checking everything and worried that more cops might come back around the scene. You can actually see the person who came back in the SUV in the video that Tim is talking about.

Tim can do amazing things with a Busa and I learned real quick that I can't keep up with him. However he is very patient, which is something else all should take note of: Don't egg people on pass their limits. If they are too slow don't ride with them again, but while you are riding with them don't force them into a crash.

Finally the guy who crashed is a very cool dude and we all wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

The guy in the SUV in your video went down the week before on a 09 R1.(Same road) A new rider to the sport. No one was egged into riding harder then there skill level. The new rider to this group in my opinion, was the one who was in control of what he was doing. I didnt twist the throttle for him. I did tell him how to ride his ride. He did it on his own. I waited to post this as a lesson for all of us. I was riding in my comfort zone and knew how far I was comfortable to ride. Again So was the rider up front. There wasnt any racing involved. No different then any of us riding the Dragon like we do at any of the bashs! I have visited this rode often on my own and slowly get use to it. It is a very fast road... 4th gear on a 08 busa 8.5k to 11k and on a 09 1k 5th gear in the upper revs. Hench the name Super Bike Road. The guy who went down knows that he has a long road to recoverying fully and the guys and I are there to help him as needed by him.

First off I hope the guy recovers quickly. Very lucky escape, although I doubt he's feeling very lucky right now.

Second, this is a lesson I learnt myself the hard way. First group ride and went sliding down the middle of the road on my arse. In the middle of the group (alone at the time), was pushing myself and then decided to ease off as I realised I was pushing too hard... came out of a nasty gravelly s-bend and then lost it on the the next corner. Apparently a porsche had done the same the day before but went through a hedge on the other side of the road instead. It's known as a damn nasty corner as it tightens up suddenly and tends to have crap on the road (wish I'd known that). Luckily I walked away and got a lesson in mechanics fixing the bike up (would have been a write off otherwise and didn't fancy loosing my no claims bonus).

I won't be making the same mistake twice!

Sorry to hear, Prayers sent for him.

I hope he heals well and soon, and I hate to see or hear about bike wrecks. But on a lighter note, I'm not an R1 fan, and the fact that it caught fire and burned up that big spot is hilarious:rofl:! I'm sorry to all offended, I'de of laughed if it had been me and my bike too. I hope he gets another bike and rides again soon.

Good write up Tim. All the gear in the world is no match for a high side. A few guys at the track were wearing the airbag vests.

Hope your new friend pulls thru.

The 02 R1 gone!

My neck!!!

Pics fixed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sorry to hear this Tim. Glad to see he had good people with him to take care of him till help arrived. Sending him prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

My neck!!!

Pics fixed.

Thanks for fixing the photos! I didnt realize that they were sideways until it was too late!

Thanks Guys for all the prayers! He his home doing well currently. Hurting like hell, but in good spirits! He is looking forward to getting his other 02 R1 together later this year!

Wow seeing that pic is incredible . Bike almost burned the forest down !
Glad he's ok and at home . I hope he heals up quick .

The 02 R1 took flight and took out the tree about 20 feet up the trunk and then hit another one lower on its trunk! No one saw how he went down! I did ask him how fast he was going when he went down.... 100 something!

Back