99 busa issue - fuel or overheating problem?

BrysO

Registered
I know you guys have heard this a ton already, but my Busa wont start. Starts fine always when it is cold. Starts fine if i take it for a short ride. It does not start if i take it on a ride for more then 15 minutes and I let it sit for a while, however it will start right back up if i turn it off, then back on immediatly. Just today it did it again so I let it sit for a couple of hours to cool down, and it started up (although wouldnt hold an idle for a while). I rode it almost all the way home when it died while at a light, which has never happen before.

Now I have read so many different forums about these issues, but I still am trying to figure out if it is over heating or the motor is just not getting the fuel. Here is what I checked:
-replaced fuel filter
-checked for kinks in fuel line
-checked coolant level
-made sure all fuel wiring is in order

Oh and my temp gauge never goes much above half way. Thanks in advance for the help, you guys seem to know what your doing!

could be wiring... heat builds up resistance in wires that will do strange things... or could be corriosion on connectors somewhere as well...

or the fuel pump could be going out too... someone with more bike knowledge will proabably post up here soon!
wink.gif

Welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

What year is your bike? '99 saw it in your title
How many miles on it?
List ALL of your mods
How long have you owned it?

Half way on the Temp gauge is normal
wink.gif
Sounds like a fuel or electrical problem but we need more info
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BA BUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141103699 -->

9,500 miles on it
I have owned it for 3 months
customizations: K&N air filter, full Yosh exaust

I was talking to a friend who knows a lot about bikes and he says that they may have switched the fuel pump to inside the tank after 00 for temperature reasons. In my 99, could my fuel pump be getting too hot outside of the tank? Also, i removed the foam pad that covers the pump (although it was having this issue before), think that had an effect? Just how common of a problem is this on the 99s?

Thanks for the quick responses guys

Has it been doing this since you have had it?
When it won't start does the motor turn over fast or slow?

It started happening a month or so after I got it.

It usually wont turn over at all after it has been ridden fr a while then sat for 10-15 min. I have to spray some starting fluid down the ram air ducts to ge anything out of it other then the starter noise. In that case, it will turn over normal... for a couple seconds...

Have you checked fuel presuure? I think it's suppose to be somewhere around 39-40? Somebody here will know the exact number. Any fuel smell after it's parked (fule line leaks)? When it sits for a bit after it is warmed up try starting it with the gas cap opened. I read somwhere on here that venting or pressure problems can cause what you're experiencing and that if it starts after a few seconds with the fuel cap opened it mpoints to a pressure problem. Let me qualify my mechanical prowise...I'm completely unqualified and shouldn't even be putting air in my own tires. I just read a similar thread a bit ago and it addressed a problem much like yours. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the problem.

thanks john.

I have not checked the fuel pressure, how do you do that?

There does not seem to be any apparent fuel line leaks.

I tried opening then closing the cap after its not starting, but it doesnt seem to help. Should I try leaving it open?

Right now I am going to go try and heat it up again and make it not start up. Then I am going to rapidly cool down the fuel pump and see if it will start up again. I have a hunch it's the pump still, we will see :p

ok i finished my little experiment with cooling down the pump and...

well it fixed the problem. After i rode it around enough to get it hot, i let it sit for 30 miniutes then went out to cool it down. I heard a wierd gurgling noise comming from the pump. (vapor lock?) i sprayed some office duster upside down to cool the pump. The gurgling stopped and the bike started right up.

So my next question is, should I invest in a new pump or is my pump fine and I should just buy some material to keep the pump cool?

p.s. this sounds like a vapor lock issue right?

well it fixed the problem. After i rode it around enough to get it hot, i let it sit for 30 miniutes then went out to cool it down. I heard a wierd gurgling noise comming from the pump. (vapor lock?) i sprayed some office duster upside down to cool the pump. The gurgling stopped and the bike started right up.

So my next question is, should I invest in a new pump or is my pump fine and I should just buy some material to keep the pump cool?

It is probably the original pump...I would buy a new one.

It is probably the original pump...I would buy a new one.
460 bones ouch >_<

hopefully if I am patient i can get a cheap one on ebay...

From what I have learned about vapor lock though, is that hot gas goes back to the pump from the block after I turn it off. Will a new pump help this?

If the pump is bad it won't produce or maintain the right pressure....which is very important on a FI bike.

One more question, is there a way to check the pressure of the pump? if so, how?

I just want to be certain before I make such a huge investment.

You need a gauge with the correct fittings to test the pressure, not something the average person would have access to.

I would check your battery before you buy a fuel pump....when you try to start it does it crank over OK but just won't fire?

I think a decent fuel pressure guage is about 80.00. They connect to the line coming out of the pump via a t-fitting. Easy to install and then you'd have one for good. It will also rule out or point to fuel pump failure. Is the noise you're hearing a true gurgling or a high pitched whine. If the return line gets kinked WHEN THE TANK IS DOWN the pump will starve and the bike will die. It's very hard to seee the kinks when the tank is down. Mine didn't actually kink until the tank was 99% down. Warm or hot rubber also tends to bend more easily, meaning the kink might not manifest until the bike is hot and the rubber line absorbs the heat. You could rule the kinked line out by propping the tank up when it won't start, making sure the supply line and return line are clear and then re-trying to start it. Also, you might want to try leaving the gas cap open when try to start it. If you just open it and then close it you may not let eoungh gas get through before it vapor locks again. Have you tried ronayers.com for the fuel pump...sometimes things cost less there. You could try the turbo guys too, they often swap out the stock fuel pumps for aftermarket versions. Try Goldenchild, he's been awesome.

I think a decent fuel pressure guage is about 80.00. They connect to the line coming out of the pump via a t-fitting. Easy to install and then you'd have one for good. It will also rule out or point to fuel pump failure. Is the noise you're hearing a true gurgling or a high pitched whine. If the return line gets kinked WHEN THE TANK IS DOWN the pump will starve and the bike will die. It's very hard to seee the kinks when the tank is down. Mine didn't actually kink until the tank was 99% down. Warm or hot rubber also tends to bend more easily, meaning the kink might not manifest until the bike is hot and the rubber line absorbs the heat. You could rule the kinked line out by propping the tank up when it won't start, making sure the supply line and return line are clear and then re-trying to start it. Also, you might want to try leaving the gas cap open when try to start it. If you just open it and then close it you may not let eoungh gas get through before it vapor locks again. Have you tried ronayers.com for the fuel pump...sometimes things cost less there. You could try the turbo guys too, they often swap out the stock fuel pumps for aftermarket versions. Try Goldenchild, he's been awesome.
Ill look into buying one of those gauges, thanks. Also, I will double check my fuel lines before getting a new pump.

Thanks for everyones help, if I need anything else Ill be back

Back