9 day, 2up road trip thoughts on the Busa

ottafish

Registered
Just finished a 9 day, 2up road trip. 2577km from leaving to putting it back in the garage.
Sunshine, 6-20 deg, rain, rain storms, wind, gale force wind, good roads, bad roads, and up to 1700mts above sea level.
What are my thoughts..
Bike performed flawlessly.
Givi top box and tank bag are so good. Water proof and a decent back rest for the pillion.
Suspension setup for 2up and tyre pressure so important.

What a great bike for touring - 2up and luggage, still has enough grunt to safely overtake, (even with the baffle in the exhaust & paper air filter)
Mile muncher for sure - just chews up the miles without any stress - put some tunes on and let it do it's thing.
Even 2up, worked magic in both the long sweepers and tight twistie stuff.
Cruise control worked flawlessly and is probably the best mod I have done to this bike.
Granted I've done some touring before, solo and 2up, but this was the first 2000+ km trip 2up.

This bike does everything I ask of it and more.
Now i know why i love this bike.

Tease. :D Sounds like an awesome ride!

This_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures.jpg

Just finished a 9 day, 2up road trip. 2577km from leaving to putting it back in the garage.
Sunshine, 6-20 deg, rain, rain storms, wind, gale force wind, good roads, bad roads, and up to 1700mts above sea level.
What are my thoughts..
Givi top box and tank bag are so good. Water proof and a decent back rest for the pillion.

What a great bike for touring - 2up and luggage, still has enough grunt to safely overtake, (even with the baffle in the exhaust & paper air filter)
Mile muncher for sure - just chews up the miles without any stress - put some tunes on and let it do it's thing.
Cruise control worked flawlessly and is probably the best mod I have done to this bike.
Granted I've done some touring before, solo and 2up, but this was the first 2000+ km trip 2up.

I've not been able to make mine the mile muncher I need. At 6'6" I just can't find the comfort I need. And it isn't the most luxurious for the rear passenger. It's good for weekends. But I'd be unhappy on it days at a time.

I'm toying with the idea of a 2 Up transcontinental adventure. I love the Wing but believe it or not that's also difficult for my size. That big ass flat 6 takes up a lot of real estate. I found one that has the right suspension upgrades. But to get the right seat made is like $1200.

I'm also looking at a Yamaha RSV. It's long and narrow and has much more built in comfort. Actually more space for the pillion back there as well. Not much support in the aftermarket though.

Glad you posted this. Lets me stay focused on just how necessary it is to find the compromise we all have to find.

What are my thoughts..

Sounds like an awesome time brother and especially being able to share it with your girl :thumbsup:. I wish I could do some 2 up riding like that but my wife will barely get on the busa. Even with the tank handle I got from you she can't get comfortable due to being short so after I get some other things in life taken care of I'll be back to getting another cruiser in order to get her back to riding with me.

@pashnit , there’s some pics in the ‘who rode today’ not many, but a few over the last week or so. I just threw them in there as we were finishing up the day.

A bit more info, I have a sadlemen seat, with the cutout, and the pillion is a Corbin, (both imported from the US) with lowered and rotated forward pillion foot pegs. The Corbin has its own backrest, (more like a backstop tho) for day riding, but the givi hard case backrest was amazing from the reports

I have the inch and a bit risers, plus helibars and buell pegs.
Ultra heavy barend weights, grips recommend buy six and foam grips over them all to reduce vibrations and allow more cumfort.
Nitron shock with remote preload and fully rebuilt and updated valved forks.
I went from a Ventura rack and soft bag to the hard case and will never go back.

So, yes it’s modded a bit to suit, but still for a just on a 10yo bike, it’s an amazing piece of machinery.

@pashnit , there’s some pics in the ‘who rode today’ not many, but a few over the last week or so. I just threw them in there as we were finishing up the day.

A bit more info, I have a sadlemen seat, with the cutout, and the pillion is a Corbin, (both imported from the US) with lowered and rotated forward pillion foot pegs. The Corbin has its own backrest, (more like a backstop tho) for day riding, but the givi hard case backrest was amazing from the reports

Ultra heavy barend weights, grips recommend buy six and foam grips over them all to reduce vibrations and allow more cumfort.
I went from a Ventura rack and soft bag to the hard case and will never go back.

So, yes it’s modded a bit to suit, but still for a just on a 10yo bike, it’s an amazing piece of machinery.
Suzuki did it right when they made the Hayabusa (of any generation).

I love my saddlemen seat,I know I've said that many times in here but it looks like the only option that allows me to stay on the bike more then an hour. Gonna take my stock seat to my upholstery buddy this year and see if he can copy the cutout so I can sit a little not in the pocket for those aggressive rides. When I took the bus from Detroit to Atlanta I made it about 5 hours and had to pull over and find a powersports place to get a throttle lock otherwise I wasn't gonna make it so I can only imagine how nice that cruise control is

I love my saddlemen seat,I know I've said that many times in here but it looks like the only option that allows me to stay on the bike more then an hour. Gonna take my stock seat to my upholstery buddy this year and see if he can copy the cutout so I can sit a little not in the pocket for those aggressive rides. When I took the bus from Detroit to Atlanta I made it about 5 hours and had to pull over and find a powersports place to get a throttle lock otherwise I wasn't gonna make it so I can only imagine how nice that cruise control is
Yeah, for an aftermarket one, it works remarkably well. I found the best combo when 2up is mode b and then cruise. Doesn't hunt and smooth accel when resume is pressed.

Back