First Road Trip

(FalconofFreedom @ Jun. 07 2007,08:50) Have a plan for problems that could be encountered............
Who stays with who while someone gets help if the cell phones are not working.........
What to do if some mexicans want to jack your bike at a rest stop.....
What to do if some Harley Gang tries to run you down & off road.....
Plan your stops before you proceed to the next destination.....
Be Alert....
Be Aware of your surroundings always...on & off the machine.....
Never let your guard down and never Drink Alchoholic Beverages!
Geez, this sounds like no fun at all...

I have riddin over 50K miles in the last ten years, only prob I ever had was a wheelie crash.

My resolve now is to never wheelie far from home.
biggrin.gif

It's possible to have probs but just be as prepared as possible and have a blast!

After all it's not the destination " Its the Ride! "

motivatord09fc2ceb569f93db9fb6a1e1a0dd24a.jpg

lurk.gif
Enjoy, and take pics. You will more than likely need a tire during this ride. You've been given great advise.
super.gif

The irony of this thread is that my girl and I just decided today that we are going West, so I came on here with the full intention of asking the exact same questions.

I know since I am riding a solo bike (2 up), my needs will be different as well.  Off the top of my head I think I will need that portable stand, potentially a new chain, and I have honestly been thinking about carring 2 liters in the emercency cells, just in case...

So keep it up kiddos, I want to hear more (if there is any more).

***Edited to note that I am going in September (week after labor day). So it will be a little easier on me.

Airhawk seat cushion, the best thing going for long distance sore butt IMO. It will set you up a bit higher in the seat but you will get acustom to it real fast. These pics may look silly but the bags and tour box are very functional. It is nice to have the back rest and a place to lock stuff up while you eat or use the bathroom.
Tour2.jpg

Tour3.jpg

I place blue painters tape on the body where the luggage makes contact, just in case the padding doesnt protect.

Epic_trip_3_024b.jpg

Sweet. This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. Please keep it coming if anyone has more. Thanks guys.

Be sure to take your spare key with you or get one made if you don't have one.

This would be a blast..
super.gif
sore ass but a blast
bowdown.gif
That is all but the camping, me don't camp..

SAFETY TO LOOK OUT "

1) KEEP ON SIGHT OF YOUR MATES WHILE ON THE ROAD , best if there's radio set on board,
2) puncture kit and air compressor
3)proper RIDING GEARS best " leathers "
4) FEEELING SLEEPY? HAVE A BREAK . WARM COFFEE , NOT TOO MUCH OF FOOD MAKE U SLEEPY AFTER AWHILE.

(dreamwalker @ Jun. 07 2007,14:56) Sweet. This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. Please keep it coming if anyone has more. Thanks guys.
+1

Getting ready to do 1500 miles and need all the tips I can get.

If you get tired, DO NOT DRINK COFFEE, drink water instead. Coffee only stimulates you for a short time, then you'll decline deeper ! But, then if your only going 400 miles, you really shouldn't get that tired on the trip. Drink at least 8oz of water (16oz is ALOT better) at each gas stop.  
all_coholic.gif

Did a 3500+ a couple of months ago with rkabusa and his nephew. DFW to Key West. Out of the bikes that you listed, you will by far get the most distance out of a tank of fuel. That's a great thing for you. You get breaks more often! My list:

1. Plug Kit and mini compressor. CycleGear has a mini compressor for 29 bucks right nw
2. Small Chain Lube
3. Leatherman tool
4. Factory tool kit if you have it. This will allow the chain adjustment that you will probably need.
5. Make sure your tires are in excellent shape before leaving. If there is a doubt, get a new one.
6. Snacks in the tank bag. Hard candy is good
7. extra quart of oil if your luggage has room
8. couple of tie wraps
9. Camera
10. extra batteries and a charger.
11. Cash
12. Insurance card
13. Make sure your tags are current
14. Rain gear
15. Air gauge

I use the Cortech sport saddlebags with the Cortech round tail bag and a Cortech tank bag. The padding always works great and leaves the paint unblemished. My wife usually packs my clothes because she somehow gets more in each saddlebag. She rolls up my pants and shirts to make more room. She also sends along a bottle of Downy wrinkle release. Works great so when you go out to dinner with your friends, it doesn't look like you just rolled out of bed. If you wear your boots, take some tennis shoes as well. You will want them after a long days ride. 400 miles should sail by though.

I really can't emphasize enough about your tires. I had new Pilot Powers put on before I left and all was great when I returned home. One of us left with what we thought would be a "fine" tire and there we were caught in the middle of the night with threads starting to show. Road surface plays a big part as well. Some states seem to use a mixture that just chews tires up. Use plenty of pressure as well. Low pressure on a long highway ride with kill a tire.

These things have worked for me and I have ridden 1k mile days when going cross country. Just know your own limits. Tired? Stop. Thirsty? Drink

Good luck to you and hope to see some great pictures!

PS. I really feel for the guy riding the R1
crazy.gif
. His a$$ is gonna hurt!

Forgot tires. I have started using Metzeler Z6s. I have 7000 miles on this set. The rear is getting pretty low on tread now. They dont offer quite as good traction but I dont think most would notice that much and I am getting 2x the mileage out of them as the stockers, I cant even imagine these softer tires most of these guys are running...Coffee bad!

I love to hit the road with my busa. I flew from Houston,TX. to L.A. to pick up mine, and ride it back (1,700 miles). The preceding is all good advise. I was by my self, but you meet some great people to ride with along the way. If your close on tires, get some new ones at home. I wish I had bought an Airhawk seat cvr. before I left though. People love em. I had Gel seat, but did'nt like it. Also, just got back from a trip to Canada in July.

7_10_07_Minn._trip_019_the_bikes_on_north_shore.jpg

Back