Long Road Trip

flynjay

Registered
I'm planning a road trip from Daytona to central Kentucky in June, and would like suggestions on bike prep and anything else you can think of. I know there are some seasoned travelers out there. I plan on shipping my clothes, to derease my luggage load to zero for the ride. My planned route is I-95 to I-26, then detour to US 441 across the Smokies, and finally catch I-40 to I-75. Anyword on how US 441 is? On the map it looks to be a nice detour. My return trip, considering a run through Deal's Gap. It's kinda on the way.
biggrin.gif

Any help is welcome. Thanks!!!

Jay

i rode my 03 busa from northern maine to atlanta Ga last may and to myrtle beach. Fresh oil change, new tires and keep an eye on the chain slack. I had NO problems and loved every minute. Had my luggage in a tank bag and tail bag with no bother

Electric tape, rain gear, WD-40, fresh set of tires, adjust chain, fresh oil change

RAIN X, FIRST AID KIT, CELL PHONE (THIS SHOULD BE AUTOMATIC).

Funny I'm planning a trip in July from NC to OH for AMA superbike. I was thinking of posting a thread also so I didn't forget anything. Thanks for beating me to the punch so I'll just monitor this thread.

God bless,
BigDawg

Put cruise control on your throttle.

Get a stereo setup so you have speakers in your helmet so you have tunes to listen to.

Get used to standing straight up on your pegs for a few miles at a time. it helps me out. I will be doing 80 and stand with me legs locked for a few miles. The sit back down and I am good to go. stretches out my legs, back etc.

All the above... I was the only one on the trip to Tahoe that had a "cruise control" on their bike... Ask Thrasherfox about how he wished he had brought his so we could've installed it.

The NEP throttle lock for Suzuki single cable throttle, a $15 investment in your wrist.

Ok I've take a couple long distance trips and here's my $.02

1. Good helmet & ear plugs -believe it or not the wind noise adds to fatigue

2. Good windscreen -helps reduce shoulder fatigue from wind blasts

3. Camelbak Hydration system - Dehydration is a key factor on long rides and increases cramping - this will allow you to drink without stopping

4. throttlemeister or throttle lock -- your wrist are gonna feel the stress after about 500-600 miles

5. Advil -- just in case age starts to catch up with you, starting in the lower back lololol

6. Tire repair kit (the plug type with CO2 cartriges) -- look nobody wants to have to use a plug to repair a tire but you don't want to have to push your busa 10-20 miles to the closest gas station.. And you definitely don't want to have to leave it on the side of the road ---- Better yet get AAA with the motorcycle coverage.

7. Emergency equipment -- toolkit, first aid, cell phone, extra set of keys, extra headlight bulb, rainsuit, plastic bag (to wrap stuff in if it rains) etc.

Items if you are gonna be a regular long distance rider

8. A comfortable seat --- saddle sore isn't something you just get riding horses

9. Heli-bars or some type of bar risers --- reduces the need to lean over the tank

10. 750 pegs --- they will give you anoth 1/2- 3/4 of leg room

11. Good alarm with pager, good chain/lock, and a bike cover --security is always a must you may not always get a ground floor room

Ok that just about covers the necessities I hope it helps
cool.gif

CUULD NOT PUT IT ANY BETTER THAN THAT DEZZY7,I WILL TAKE THIS ADVISE FOR MYSELF {THAT'S WHY I LOVE THE ORG FROM GOOD PEOPLE COMES GOOD ADVISE} THANKS
type.gif
umnik.gif
super.gif
beerchug.gif

Thanks for all to suggestions. Wow...there are somethings I didn't think about.

I'll be sure to take my camera and post some pics.

Thanks again,

Jay

I think I can pack most of that in my tank bag....now for the tail bag and saddle bags.

I have a tour master tail bag, but I need saddle bags. I was hoping I had the tail bag that can connect to the saddle bags, but I think I'm shot.

Things I had on my busa for my cross country trip were

RS3 Full system
Zero Gravity Sport touring screen
PC3R
K&N air filter
Heli bars
TL foot pegs
Gel seat
Tour master cortech saddle bags
Tour master tank bag
Joe Rocket ballistic jacket
2 piece rain suit
2 piece kevlar suit
Duct tape
electric tape
Spray on water repellent
Ear Plugs
Clear and smoke helmet shield
Cell phone

I went cross country from Rockville, MD to San Diego, Ca of May 2003

RS3 Full system
PC3R
K&N air filter
Heli bars
TL foot pegs
Gel seat
Tour master tank bag
2 piece rain suit
2 piece kevlar suit
Duct tape
electric tape
Spray on water repellent
Ear Plugs
Cell phone

Now that's a road trip
bowdown.gif

Jay

RS3 Full system
PC3R
K&N air filter
Heli bars
TL foot pegs
Gel seat
Tour master tank bag
2 piece rain suit
2 piece kevlar suit
Duct tape
electric tape
Spray on water repellent
Ear Plugs
Cell phone

That's what I'm talking about. Try doing that on a zx12, R1 or zx10. You'll end up with:

carpal tunnel
shoulder referred pain
low back pain
patellar tendonitis
and a shortened trip because the rider will have to return home get a Busa and try it all over again
biggrin.gif

3. Camelbak Hydration system - Dehydration is a key factor on long rides and increases cramping - this will allow you to drink without stopping

4. throttlemeister or throttle lock -- your wrist are gonna feel the stress after about 500-600 miles

5. Advil  -- just in case age starts to catch up with you, starting in the lower back lololol

6. Tire repair kit (the plug type with CO2 cartriges) -- look nobody wants to have to use a plug to repair a tire but you don't want to have to push your busa 10-20 miles to the closest gas station.. And you definitely don't want to have to leave it on the side of the road ---- Better yet get AAA with the motorcycle coverage.

7. Emergency equipment -- toolkit, first aid, cell phone, extra set of keys, extra headlight bulb, rainsuit, plastic bag (to wrap stuff in if it rains) etc.

8. A comfortable seat --- saddle sore isn't something you just get riding horses

9. Heli-bars or some type of bar risers --- reduces the need to lean over the tank

10.  750 pegs --- they will give you anoth 1/2- 3/4 of leg room

11. Good alarm with pager, good chain/lock, and a bike cover --security is always a must you may not always get a ground floor room

cool.gif
The only exception I would make is to number 3 about the camel back.

I have ridden with Camel backs and I have ridden with out them, here is my two cents for what it is worth.

Yes, if you have a camel back they are cool, it looks wicked having the feeder tube coming off your back and into your helmet, however for me I have learned the following:

With the camel back I am constantly sucking in water and keeping myself hydrated, however I find myself having to relieve my bladder a lot.

If I don’t have the camel back and I just drink when I make stops to stretch, this gives me a chance to stretch for one, but also I don’t find myself having to make bathroom stops.

So I guess in my opinion if is 6 of one, half a dozen of another. If you are not making stops to stretch and get something to drink because you have a camel back, you are still having to make stops to go to the bathroom.

Unless of course you have a camel back with a feeding tube and then have a relief tube placed somewhere else, then heck you can just keep going and going and going……
smile.gif

I made my Tahoe ride which is pretty much riding from 7:30am to 11:00pm at night with no camel back, just a bottle of water in my pack. and it was all good.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081873998 -->

banner_Ron.jpg

5. Advil  -- just in case age starts to catch up with you, starting in the lower back lololol

10.  750 pegs --- they will give you anoth 1/2- 3/4 of leg room

cool.gif
The only exception I would make is to number 3 about the camel back.

I have ridden with Camel backs and I have ridden with out them, here is my two cents for what it is worth.

Yes, if you have a camel back they are cool, it looks wicked having the feeder tube coming off your back and into your helmet, however for me I have learned the following:

With the camel back I am constantly sucking in water and keeping myself hydrated, however I find myself having to relieve my bladder a lot.

If I don’t have the camel back and I just drink when I make stops to stretch, this gives me a chance to stretch for one, but also I don’t find myself having to make bathroom stops.

So I guess in my opinion if is 6 of one, half a dozen of another. If you are not making stops to stretch and get something to drink because you have a camel back, you are still having to make stops to go to the bathroom.

Unless of course you have a camel back with a feeding tube and then have a relief tube placed somewhere else, then heck you can just keep going and going and going……
smile.gif

I made my Tahoe ride which is pretty much riding from 7:30am to 11:00pm at night with no camel back, just a bottle of water in my pack. and it was all good.
Good point...the semi-crouched position already leads to compression of the bladder.

I think I would have to go with the Camelback. I used it in the desert, when I do yardwork and use it when I do some long distance running. I can certainly live without it, but try to make sure that I have one with me. Just my $.02.

I feel 'ya! Just don't like to take things for granted or get unprepared, 'ya know!

I feel 'ya!  Just don't like to take things for granted or get unprepared, 'ya know!
I am not saying don’t carry any water. I always have water with me, heck I no kidding drink almost 2 gallons of water a day, I drink so much water my doctor actually told me I was drinking too much. (I never realizes you could drink too much water, but found out anything over 2 gallons a day starts to place a heavy burden on your kidneys and makes them work extra hard)

Anyway, I am totally on board with carrying water and being prepared. In my back pack or tank bag I usually carry at least 1 1.5 liter of water on me.

I was just point out that for me, if I have a camel back, I am taking in more water than my body requires and I end up having to dispose of it by making a bathroom stop.

But when I make stops for stretches and such, and take a few swigs of water from my bottle, for me and my body, it seems to be just right where I am keeping myself hydrated, but not taking in more to where I am having to stop on the side of the road constantly

banner_Ron.jpg

Back