Road Trip

jch364

Registered
Looking for some suggestions here. I am kicking around the idea of taking a road trip next year. I was planning on going from here in Ohio to Sequoia National park in Northern Calif. in September of next year. Trying to get an idea of what I might need to make the trip possible or at least easier. I already got cortech saddle bags and a big rocket tank bag.

This is what i was thinking of getting.
1. a tail bag by cortech that connects to the saddlebags across the back seat.
2. Buell pegs that lower my riding position for added comfort.
3. Gel seat. Corbin or tobin are just really expensive...
4. Throttlemeister or an actual electronic cruise control of some kind. But which kind?
5. some kind of gps system I can attach to the bike. Any suggestions would be great. Do I have to pay a monthly charge for it or just the cost of the gps is all there is to it. Really need help on this. What features are the best for a bike?

I have a double bubble, saddle bags and a large tank bag. All the riding gear including very nice set of rain gear. And an mps player with headphones in the helmet.
Of course all the standard preps I know like new tires, chain lube etc.
Anything you folks can come up with that would make it a nice and of course safe trip please let me have your input. I have not done a complete detailed map yet but it will be roughly 5,000 miles round trip. I plan on taking off 2 weeks for this. It would technically give me 16 days to do the trip using major highways. Without looking into it too much yet I am guessing it will take about 4 to 5 days each way.

This will be the longest trip on my busa I will have taken. THe longest trip I took on it to date was just after the busa bash in april when my mom died and had to leave the bash early go home to ohio and turn around and leave for Louisiana. It was 1000 miles each way. I did that driving straight for 18 hrs.. Way to long at one time in retrospect...lol...Anyway getting side tracked a little here. So let me know what yall think!!!!
ThumbsUp.gif

Small can of Plexxus to clean the bugs of your lid.
Small air compressor (Slime makes a good one). Tire plug kit
beerchug.gif

A Leatherman tool and some duct tape. Never had one but would want to try an AeroStitch suit if I was going to be riding for 2 weeks.

Light and dark face shields, rain clothes, tire pressure guage, Ibprophin, and....I just love my Garmin Zumo. It is retail $1200.00 including XM radio which costs $12.95 per month...great for droning along on the interstate. Now the good news, you can get Zumos ALOT cheaper on the internet, like $450 for remanufactured and $700 new. There are alot more things to bring both for safety and comfort, I'll let others chime in! BTW, you might consider country roads and mountain roads as much as possible, remember the ride is JUST as important as the destination. Take care, Raydog

P1000693.JPG

I LOVE sequioa, there's some real beauty there. If you're camping it gets colder'n snot at nightime since it's at altitude. I'll second the Aerostich suggestion if you don't have one already. Does a decent job keeping you comfy over a wide range of temps & light rain.
Eric

I have done lots of road trips, this summer I did 2, 1 in May and 1 in Sept. I thought I would want music for long journies, however too many issues when riding can create a problem. Road conditions, large trucks, emergency vehicles ... And most of all I prefer to hear my engine, what gear I am in ... it's alot different than rollin on a Gold Wing or Road King.

So for me I like the sites sounds and smells of the open back roads.

Bar risers, adjustable rear sets, A emergency tire kit with CO2's would be good. Duct tape, leatherman type tool, AAA card, Radar detector, camera for sure.

check out www.pashnit.com for some great suggestions too.

epic_May07_076b.jpg

A lot of good ideas. Except for you Kervin aka. Bigskin....I cant believe you posted that. By the way I have asked you to come along ya know. Keep the good ideas coming. I have looked up some of the suggestions. gonna print this out when the thread has run its course and keep it so i can refer to it through out next year as i start buying the stuff little by little....

I would suggest a powerlet outlet . You can run a pump and with an adapter charge your phone . I also run an electric vest with it. Check them out at www.powerlet.net. Also a good flash light.

I appreciate the input. This is really gonna help. Gonna start slowly putting it all together. I think I will go ahead and send my seat out to tobin over the winter to have the mod done on that. I like some of the other suggestions as well. All good ideas. Some i hadn't even considered which is why I posted here. I will have lots of pics when this is done next year. It is gonna be so much fun.

12V cell phone charger (I carry a 100W AC converter from Black and Decker)
small can of chain wax
Sunblock
Advil or like

anything you need you can always buy on the road

If you aren't already a member - join AMA and sign up for Motow... 'cause you never know what's gonna happen next.

I would add that your choice of tires is going to be an issue... (5000 mile ride) You should also see about making the Spring Busa bash (1500 mile warm up run)

Back