Road Trip, Finally!! Need Help.

C-Dog

Formerly cuderdog
Registered
After 25 years in my families service business and hardly a day off, I'm taking off for a few months and going for an extended Road Trip. I have siblings and relatives I havent seen for years. The New Busa got thru it's first service with No Bugs so I should be good to go in two or three weeks. First leg will be NYC to Miami Beach. Than to L.A. Than Phoenix and when it starts getting warmer, Chicago, Pittsburgh and than back to New York in the Spring. I've got Buell Pegs from Joe, Heli bars, Frame sliders, Zero Gravity Double Bubble and Hot Grips, a Cramp Buster(and couldnt resist some black fairing screens).

Still decieding between a Valantine one or a Passport IQ. I'm not that Tech savy but Can an IPad be used for navigation?
Biggest Challange is Packing. Have Cortech Saddle Bags & Tail Bag and Tank Bag but I'm planning to do a lot of Camping along the way.(Maybe NOT on the first leg of my trip. It's getting Cold) Where do I put a Tent & Sleeping Bag?? (am I a Primadonna if I'm dreaming maybe an inflatable mattress too?) Actually considered a "Third Wheel Trailer" for about a Minute, until I saw the price!!
I'm sure I'll learn as I go, pick up what I need along the way & get rid of what I dont.

Anywho, I'll take ANY advice or suggestions with regard to Must Have gear or Hardware.
Thank you all, in Advance.

V1 or passport is like comparing apples to apples - go with the cheapest you can find on sale.

As to the tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad, I keep them in a dry bag strapped over my back seat.

IMG_0399.JPG

And good luck with your trip, hope you have a great time!

Sounds like a well earned road trip! Wish I could come along.

You can use a 3G iPad for navigation - it has a full gps chip in it. I use mine when flying. If you actually connect with the 3G service, you can use the google maps app. Otherwise you need to have a map database installed , but that's as expensive as just buying a garmin or tomtom gps. I think you'd be happier with a real auto navigation gps anyway. Or better yet, go old fashioned, use a map, get lost, and discover new places!

Get some electric gear - jacket and gloves - and you'll be tons more comfortable in the cold. Gerbings and Warm-n-Safe are both very good brands. I made a post last year on how to get a discount on the Warm-n-Safe gear.

My rule for traveling is to bring less than you think you need, and count on a stop at Walmart if you really need something. You almost never do.

When ur in phoenix, lemme me know got some fellow riders here we will show u round

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a well earned road trip! Wish I could come along.
My rule for traveling is to bring less than you think you need, and count on a stop at Walmart if you really need something. You almost never do.

+1 - I can travel a week with just my top case by packing smart. All the clothes I bring I can wash in the motel sink and dry overnight if needed.

Before you leave, make a checklist of everything you need to pack, then check it off as you pack. There will be many little things you will think of, then forget to bring otherwise. Also, organize the stuff you bring in zips bags.

Very ambitious road trip :) First things first - you've got a lot of weather lined up - You'll need real fexible gear. Rain, hot, cold... can't emphazise this enough. Solo camping has challenges as well. Little things like Q-tips, wet wipes, a tiny first aid kit, toothpicks, extra set of glasses or contacts, small bug repellent, triple silicon water proof your tent, lots of different size clear plastic zip locks, two leatherman type tools, small flash - combo LED flash and lantern with lanyard and mountain clip for around neck or to hang in tent, tire plug kit and fix a flat or air, camping fork spoon combo or a few plastic forks and spoons, fire starter, pen and paper, little brass locks for saddles just to keep people from snooping, sturdy folding knife 3 inch or less legal almost everywhere for defensive protection, small set of relavant tools, lighter, extra key - lost key on the road is a diasaster, Back up charging cords and wires, google gps can on smart phone can get sketchy in rural areas because downloads maps via data link as needed - the gps app will work but it won't have a map superimposed - just a arrow whirling about on a blank screen, I recommend a stand alone GPS. Insurance, registration, DL, Health insurance just in case, and towing arrangements AAA. Small roll of camping duct tape, zip ties, lots of bungies, good quality bungy net with atleast 6 tie down hooks.

I keep thinking - forgot the air matress it will leave room for toting sixpacks of beer.

Careful with radar as it's not legal in all states. Sti Driver is expensive but worth it. Love mine. For a trip like that you'll want a cruise control, see post by Sous. Finally think about soething like an AutoCom - that will let you listen to music, GPS, radar, phone all hands free. Finally a good set of ear buds that isolate for that many miles on the road! Dedicated GPS is better for a trip like that IMHO.

Good luck and remember PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look me up if you come threw dallas Texas...got a few of us here can show you around.
Sounds like a fun trip. Would like to do this someday. :-)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Aw man, ....I'm sure I could have given you an acceptable deal on that Trailer, but I wish you the best on that Trip
PLEASE... ride safe!!

I don't know the size tent you "need" but at rei you can get a very small one person setup just big enough for your sleeping bag that will keep the bugs out. They also have decently small self inflating pads that are great and roll down smaller than the foam. Rei also has very small burners for coffee, water, or light cooking.

A well deserved trip, make sure you keep us updated with pics while we are all working.

Radar detectors are illegal in VA, be careful coming thru this state. An iPad can be used for navigation but that's a little large for use while riding, look into a cheaper Tom Tom or Garmin, preferably a model that has bluetooth. Look at a Scala Rider G4 or some other headset that will allow you to hook up with your GPS and phone and mp3 player to have access to those devices while riding! Be careful out there!!

Back