6'4 And 375 To Busa Or Not To Busa

Roadglider

Registered
Been riding baggers for a while and looking at a Busa. Need some input . Yep I'm big ,guys say bike is big enough for me my question is what kind of mods can I do to raise bars up and adjust footpegs -shifter and brake ? I can handle the heat so tell me if it's a mistake being to big !
Thanks for any input

Welcome aboard.!! Some of the big guys will be here soon to give some ideas but, some guys switch to dirt bike style handle bars that are available for the busa. There is a member here that sells modified buell pegs that fit the busa and lower your feet some. If you feel comfortable and not cramped up sitting in it, you should be ok. The busa sure has the torque to move you around a lot faster that your other bikes.

I sat on a 04 that's been setup for racing. Guy offered to let me take it for a ride. I realize the power the bike has and not take it for granted. I fit in seat ok . He had Buell pegs that seemed to help . Handlebars were way to low for me . Belly and tank problem lol.

My brother is 6' 4" 250 ish he has buel pegs , and heli bars . I'm 5 ' 1 " 135 , and have a a full LSL bar kit / no buel pegs . Corbin can build you a extra thick seat that will add 1 to 2 " of seat height .

I am 310 lbs and a hair under 6'-1". been on the Busa for 6 years and it fits like a glove (did off the showroom floor actually). I have helibars with the 1" rise and rearsets (racing foot pegs that allow vertical and limited horizontal adjustment). I usually take "Harley rides", that is long 8-12 hour blasts through back roads. Their are some body size iuuses to look at though. My arms are longish (37" sleeve). My legs are very short as I have a 30" inseam. That means reaching the bars which is a problem for many. is very relaxed. I can't stand flatfooted on the bike though with my short legs, but they fold up on the pegs very comfortably and I usually run out of gas before I get uncomfortable. I think with your size foot position will be more of an issue than the bars frankly. Look up a modification called the "Buell Peg mod" to get additional leg room.

The Busa is the sportiest of the hyperbikes (a class of 3, the Busa, occasional Honda Blackbird and ZX-14). The riding position is forward and aggressive relative to most bigger bikes. You can alter this a bit with bar options but it is how the bike was designed and it is it's charm in many ways. Riding a bike like the busa is a different thing than riding a HD. On an HD it is about the social experience of the open road. The bike is designed to ask as little of the rider as possible as it's about the trip. The Busa, in the end is about the Bike as it provides unlimited excitement even if you ride it in a parking lot! But riding a sporty bike like the Busa will require muscle re-training. You ride sort of resting the weight of your torso on the abdomen, keeping the arms free of support responsibilities. This is the biggest source of discomfort ex-baggers feel on this bike transition.

Another thing I hear from a few people who have moved from HD's to Busas is that the Busa experience is less social. There aren't many Busa guys out there and you will quickly wonder how you didn't fall asleep on you old HD after you get used to the Busa. Sport bike guys tend to be young and crazy. The bagger crowd are cool rolling down the road very slowly, feet up, radio blasting (not a critism, that's good work if you can get it!). So your riding buddy options will get smaller.

I guess I would recommend you keep the bagger if you can until you settle in on the Busa or so you can ride either depending on the trip you have planned.

Hope this helps!

I am 310 lbs and a hair under 6'-1". been on the Busa for 6 years and it fits like a glove (did off the showroom floor actually). I have helibars with the 1" rise and rearsets (racing foot pegs that allow vertical and limited horizontal adjustment). I usually take "Harley rides", that is long 8-12 hour blasts through back roads. Their are some body size iuuses to look at though. My arms are longish (37" sleeve). My legs are very short as I have a 30" inseam. That means reaching the bars which is a problem for many. is very relaxed. I can't stand flatfooted on the bike though with my short legs, but they fold up on the pegs very comfortably and I usually run out of gas before I get uncomfortable. I think with your size foot position will be more of an issue than the bars frankly. Look up a modification called the "Buell Peg mod" to get additional leg room.

The Busa is the sportiest of the hyperbikes (a class of 3, the Busa, occasional Honda Blackbird and ZX-14). The riding position is forward and aggressive relative to most bigger bikes. You can alter this a bit with bar options but it is how the bike was designed and it is it's charm in many ways. Riding a bike like the busa is a different thing than riding a HD. On an HD it is about the social experience of the open road. The bike is designed to ask as little of the rider as possible as it's about the trip. The Busa, in the end is about the Bike as it provides unlimited excitement even if you ride it in a parking lot! But riding a sporty bike like the Busa will require muscle re-training. You ride sort of resting the weight of your torso on the abdomen, keeping the arms free of support responsibilities. This is the biggest source of discomfort ex-baggers feel on this bike transition.

Another thing I hear from a few people who have moved from HD's to Busas is that the Busa experience is less social. There aren't many Busa guys out there and you will quickly wonder how you didn't fall asleep on you old HD after you get used to the Busa. Sport bike guys tend to be young and crazy. The bagger crowd are cool rolling down the road very slowly, feet up, radio blasting (not a critism, that's good work if you can get it!). So your riding buddy options will get smaller.

I guess I would recommend you keep the bagger if you can until you settle in on the Busa or so you can ride either depending on the trip you have planned.

Hope this helps!
Hi,
Yes it did. Thanks for all the information

We got some big dudes on here rockin' Busa's. I think Yamahor (Ben) might be the biggest at 6'10" :shocked:

Goldenchild is a super good guy and will fix you up.I cant help you...I'm scrawny 6'1" 195.

Rubb.

ur gonna need to change the suspension cause its set up for like a 180 lb guy from the factory. u will be bottoming out otherwise

Not sure I agree with this as riding many bikes over the years all need suspension work especially FJR1300 . My R6 , and Hayabusa are great from factory . Your going to say hey you weight 135 sure its GREAT for YOU ! My son , and I two up in gear are 275 lb always use tank bag with odds and in's in it puts us @ nearly 300 . With the Givi bags / loaded were 350 lb , and yet to bottom . I dont ride through the turns slow either . Myself / ZRX24 eat sport bike groups for lunch two up while they are solo.
Pics below were 350 plus pounds on the stock suspension busa .

20160424_162611_zpsfpihcxjx.jpg
20160424_162623_zpsminvauix.jpg

im 230 lbs suited so IDN where ur gettn 135 lb jockey weight....:rolleyes: not all bikes are gonna need suspension adjustments as long as you weigh wat the average man weighs. the springs are set up for a 170 lbs rider. you don't have to change the suspension but a guy weighing 345 lbs will absolutely need to make adjustments to the front suspension with a different set of springs if he wants his bike to ride CORRECT. anyone at any weight can get on a bike and ride. it doesn't mean the bike will perform as well as it COULD.

if you don't have the proper rate springs in the forks for your weight, you'll never get it right I don't care how many clicks you go in any direction so you can disagree all you want but a guy weighing almost 350 will need more then a few clicks to get it right. and ur givi bags and ur son are in the very back not the front so the extra weight from them won't mean shiit up front. completely different story wen the actual RIDER weighs 350 lbs....

and its not about bottoming out. if ur impression of a proper setup front suspension is simply bottoming out I wud say ur a little out of touch....

Not sure I agree with this as riding many bikes over the years all need suspension work especially FJR1300 . My R6 , and Hayabusa are great from factory . Your going to say hey you weight 135 sure its GREAT for YOU ! My son , and I two up in gear are 275 lb always use tank bag with odds and in's in it puts us @ nearly 300 . With the Givi bags / loaded were 350 lb , and yet to bottom . I dont ride through the turns slow either . Myself / ZRX24 eat sport bike groups for lunch two up while they are solo.

View attachment 395291
View attachment 395292

you missed it I weigh 135 but two up with all my stuff 350 , and we had zero issues with stock unaltered suspension except for 2 clicks rebound/compression , and rear preload added .

View attachment 395291
View attachment 395292

Might not bottom, but it's not going to handle very well.
The OP is going to have alot more weight on the bars than you with a passenger and luggage.
He's going to Need springs for him to realize the handling ability.

375 he is going to need springs on any bike he gets. Busa or not. Of course coming from a bagger he will think that stock suspension is awesome. I just finally got around to really fine tuning mine and what a difference it has made. That thing will corner like it's on rails now. Would love to invest in a great suspension setup and see what a difference that would make.

I'm a lightweight at 250 lbs.(6'2")but a bro I ride with is around 310-320 lbs. and can ride the wheels off of his.Rode Harleys for 30 years before my 1st Busa in '02 and have never looked back.Heli-Bars will definitely make you more comfortable(have had them on all 3 of my Busas).

Back