Sorry To Sell

bug_n_67

Registered
Well I'll start with the fact that I've been driving bikes for 30 years always used.For the first time last year I was able to buy a new bike and I went big,I bought a 2003 Hayabusa and I was as happy as a pig in mud.Well after a year I am not a happy camper.Don't get me wrong I love the bike but not the problem that came with it.Right from the get go,driving on the way home after I picked the bike up a problem with shifting from 5th and 6th it would go into a false neutrel.I took the bike back and they made a change to the shifter and of course no difference.Well the bikes been back a few times and it is still the same.Suzuki head office sent someone down to check the bike and said that it was no big deal all the big bikes do it and it should go away.Well 6000km later and still the same.So I think it's time to go and want input into a couple of bikes GSXR 1000 or CBR 1000RR So any input would be great.I hate to sell the busa but I don't spend that kind of money only to have problems all the time.Thanks

Yeah, I know what you mean, I bought a truck once, I expected it to run like a truck but it did so I didn't like it so I sold it, I see what you mean.
rock.gif

Um recommend you learn to shift a High HP bike...
laugh.gif

Change to synthetic oil and shift it like you mean it. All the Hayabusa's have a hole between 5-6 if you pussy foot it, this missed shift usually clears right up after the inital service and rider adjustment. In this case it sounds like you really just need to focus on shifting like you mean it... Big HP Bike, Big Tranny parts, needs a firm foot.

Seriously, chances are nothing is wrong with your Tranny at all, might just want to adjust your shift lever a little bit to make certain you can apply decent force to it for that final upshift.

Otherwise, Buy a Used VFR or something if you just cannot take it anymore and Wait for the New bikes in 2006. I heard from the dealer (FWIW) that the Blackbird will be a Bad Mother in 06'. V-5, fresh bodywork... Good stuff. I'd wait...

i have an 03 also and i notice when my foot gets lazy it also goes into a false neutral between 5th and 6th but when im not lazy it never havens so shift it like you mean it and your troubles will be over
its just the nature of the beast telling me to not get to complacient and pay attention to the monster im riding
Rich
34 years of riding and over 70 bikes and none of them have stolen my heart like this one

I had two different 03's and now have an 04, all bought brand spankin new and all three have that lazy shift thing between 5th and 6th. I agree with Revlis, just shift it with a bit of athority and the problem will go away. A good synthetic oil will help also. I use Castrol R4 full synthetic race oil and it shifts much better. I also have an 04 GSXR 1000 and it shifts the same way. I do understand the GSXR 1000 will have a whole new tranny in 05 and will shift like the honda's. I'm really looking forward to a new Gixxer in March when they arrive. Enjoy that busa man, it is such a sweetheart for everyday riding and a monster when you give her a spankin
smile.gif

Once again I have to agree with Revlis. Sometimes we don't think about it and pay much attention to it, but usually when we get to sixth gear we are a little more relaxed in shifting because you are going into 'overdrive' basically. I had this happen a few times, but once I started paying attention to my shifting habits, it totally disappeared. Lots of people tend to have this problem, and I think it's just the nature of the beast. Just pay careful attention to how you are shifting. Just my .02, but it can sometime be worth a million bucks.

Yes I know all about the shifting hard and moving the shifter.I have a spot in my shoe worn out from shifting so hard.So I've gone to shifting with out the clutch as this works fine but this does not fix the problem.I've gone to synthetic oil as well and no change.So do I keep my bike and put up with it or go to GSXR 1000 or the new CBR 1000RR.Thanks for all your input.

Sounds like to me your Hayabusa is a POS and you should sell it to me really cheap. When can I pick it up?

bug_n I researched the Busa right here before I ever bought it...if you do a search on the 5th to 6th shift you'll see they ALL do it.....mine did it twice on the way home from the dealership, but because of my research I knew it was normal. I just follow through with my 5-6 gear change and its NEVER did it again. You don't need to hammer the shifter...just follow through like your swinging a golf club or a bat and you'll be fine. My Busa and 1100 are by far the two smoothest shifting bikes I've ever owned. They go up/down like butter. Try riding somebodies Kawi and you'll realize how nice the Busa actually shifts. If you like the Busa keep it...btw how many miles ya' got on it?

Dude, I have both a Busa and GXSR 1000, both 04's. I can tell you from experience, if you want a bike to play on such as wheelies, stoppies, twisties, broadside slides, etc. the Gixxer out performs the busa hands down. But it still shifts poorly just like the Busa. However, as you know, your Busa is big, heavy, powerful and probably the most comfortable sport bike available. Especially if you are to carry a passenger. Two intirely different bikes but I can tell you, you will have tons more fun on a Gixxer if you ride it like it was intended. If you intend to keep both tires on the ground, keep your busa, you can't find a better scooter.I enjoy them both but ride my Gixxer far more than the Busa. And,,,,,,,,, if you wait til the 05 Gixxer arrives, you may very well get a bike that will out accellerate your busa? Before you go buying a Gixxer, I would ride one and see what you think?

I hit that false neutral twice...never once thought it was a problem with the Busa, just my light shifting...I really had to concentrate on shifting hard...no problems since...
smile.gif

Shift like you mean it and I doubt you'll have it slip in to false neutral again...sorry to hear about all of the problems...
sad.gif

never happened to me

but what happens all the time is when i am downshifting from 2 to 1 at high revs, I hear a big cluck in the tranny and if i let the clutch go, i know that the wheel will lock
mad.gif

I think that using the 1 gear for breaking power is not a good idea

Back