$4,300.00 Busa... Worth it?

(Over_Easy @ Mar. 19 2007,10:42) Are you looking to simply turn this thing around to make money?

30k would be a concern for ME - why I bought new.  If it's lowered and has a full exhaust it's likely got some hard running miles on her as well.  Do you have access to all the maintenance records - very important.

You have to look at the quality of person you are buying it from as well.  And I would definitely have a mechanic check it out.
From all I've read on the boards, 30k is nothing... especially for a 2002 bike!

Just be sure all the records are right and the bike is clean....

I'd say it's ok!

(Turbo-Torch @ Mar. 19 2007,21:26) Personally I'd pass on it.  30K miles is no big deal but I'd rather spend the extra $ and buy something that's all stock from an original owner who has all maintenance records.  You already know the previous owner was a loser and losers don't take care of their vehicles.  Odds are good it was ridden hard and put away wet.  Makes no sense to buy a bike for $4K+ and then have to put another $2K into it when you can buy a well maintained bike for $6K with the same mileage and enjoy it without putting any labor into it.

If the smoke has a blue tint I would run.  If it's white and doesn't go away after a long ride you have an internal coolant leak.  If it's black, probably no big deal...screwed up mods that weren't done right.

At the very least take it for a long ride.  Have a friend follow you to make sure it doesn't smoke under heavy load. Open it up a SEVERAL times and make sure the trans doesn't jump out of 2nd gear or "ratchet" at high rpm under full throttle in 2nd.  If it passes that test go over the bike with a toothpick.  Pull and check the plugs, do a compression test, let it idle to check for overheating, make sure there's no rust inside the gas tank ect.
Good point. Personally I would get it checked by a mechanic, and go from there. If the mech says OK at least you have a reasponable confidence.

I will say that buying used is hit and miss, if the owner didn't take care of it, your TLC might...or it might not.

On the other hand it could be a steal, you could get a great bike.

As for engine mileage, personally that is no big deal. If all that has been done is the echaust that engine could last you 100k more. Most of these engines could reasonably last you 200k if it's well taken care of. Example. Most VTXs have 200k life in them unless someone is just dumb, these engines are well made overall and are known for strong engines...

Yea, the way i figured it was if someone can throw a turbo or a ton of nitros on one of these stock engines and have minimal problems then 30K shouldn't be that bad. If fo no other reason i think it's a good investment. I can probably buy it, spend a little time cleaning it up, and sell it for 6-6500 pretty fast. I hope to buy it and like it more than my 750, but it's the handling that scares me. i guess we'll find out!

You can make the 'Busa handle quite well for as big as it is. Raising the back end up will help as well as lowering the front a tad.

right now i think it's lowered about 2" all the way around so i'm going to rais the back to stock, and set the front about 1/2" lower. Would that make a difference?or should i make the front lower?

If you dont want it. Ill take it!@
beerchug.gif

(GSXTacy @ Mar. 19 2007,11:42)
(busa_boy_69 @ Mar. 19 2007,10:45) I can't say what the blue book is on it but with it being such high mileage and an 02 that seems VERY slightly high to me.
There are 05's running around with that kind of mileage.
Yep. I have one of them.

I don't have a problem with the mileage, but I'd pass because it is a repo. Chances are very high that it has had the snot run out of it without being maintained.

Back