$4,300.00 Busa... Worth it?

BUSADOOK

Registered
Hello to all! i am new here,I curently own a 2002 gsxr 750 and i think i found a good deal on a Busa. I can get a repo'd 2002 hayabusa(silver/grey) for $4,300.00. it is lowered, has full yosh carbon single exhaust,and chrome triple tree. The only thing i'm a little weary about is that it has 30K miles. is this a concerne? How many miles are these motors generaly good for? When i rev it up after ideling for a while it smokes a little. i can't tell if it's rich or if it's blow by. Is it worth it? could i sell it for more?

Are you looking to simply turn this thing around to make money?

30k would be a concern for ME - why I bought new. If it's lowered and has a full exhaust it's likely got some hard running miles on her as well. Do you have access to all the maintenance records - very important.

You have to look at the quality of person you are buying it from as well. And I would definitely have a mechanic check it out.

I can't say what the blue book is on it but with it being such high mileage and an 02 that seems VERY slightly high to me. I would say 3900$ would be about right but u'll have to see what some other guys think.

As far as the mileage goes I would not be concerned at all. There are MANY people on this board cruising around with 60k plus miles on their bikes. I for one have 26,000 on my 03 and she has not even begin to show me any problems.

The smoke you are seeing could be from many things. For one if its a repoed bike it may not have been run for a while and may just have sooty buildup its blowing out. As you said it may be running too rich. If it keeps doing it I would check into a PC adjustment to the fuel air and see what happens then. You may just have some old fuel and some fouled out plugs so a good tune up might help to remedy it as well. When i got my bike it had some bolt ons for a while with no pc and it would smoke quite heavily after I shut the bike off. I got the pc on it and it hasn't smoked since.

Anyways man I hope this helped a little.

BB69

mecanics to look at it...best bet and try to knock some DC...wouldn't be a bad idea...Good luck
super.gif

(busa_boy_69 @ Mar. 19 2007,10:45) I can't say what the blue book is on it but with it being such high mileage and an 02 that seems VERY slightly high to me.
There are 05's running around with that kind of mileage.

Thank's guys, what i was told is that you can't find any year in any shape with any amount of miles with a clean title, and running for less than 5k. I don't have the maintenance records because it was redo'd. my girlfriends dad is the repo man and if i don't buy it he's going to take it to a local used bike shope and see what they will give him for it. $4,300.00 is what the owner owes on it and he waited to long to get it back so that's what i have to pay. I have noticed that people love to ride these bikes, and many of them have fairly high mileage on them. Keep the comments comming guys. This is a hard decision for me. Any input is good.

Thanks!

i rode it around the block, everything seems to be good, it's almost due for a front tire, and the front wheel bearing is squeeking a little. other than that it runs fine, clutch is tight, brakes are good, no problems from what i could see. I didn't like the handling, partly because i am used to my 750, and partly because it is lowered (alot). i'm sure alot of it had to do with me just going around the block also. Ther's normal wear and tear scratches on the tank where buttons rub, some bolts are rusting like it sat outside for a while, but nothing bad at all. no cracked fearings, or anything. I paid 4K for my 02 gsxr 750 and thought i was getting a deal, this is cleaner, but the 750 has a cracked tail section.

i'm in Daytona Beach, he's waiting for my decision now.if i don't buy it he's going to try to buy it and try to get 6K for it. i am supposed to tell him by tonight. In all honesty if you wanted it i will more than likely buy it and try to re sell it anyway. I see you are in GA. for 5K i will tote it up to Jacksonville and meet you there with it.PM me, i'm always ready to make a quick buck!

It's probobly sat out in the weather for some time. Alittle TLC can go along way with the Busa. Get it, strip it down, check everything and clean everything upon reinstallation. Doing this will make everything be as it should. Change the oil, throw some plugs in and i bet it'll run fine.

Thats cheap, Buy it....
If you want a busa thats where to start under 5K..
Its worth that in parts.
If the body is all there, and it only needs minor stuff {Brakes, bearings, tires, chain, sprockets, and a valve adjustment} throw in an oil change and just ride it...
Me and my brother bought a bone stock 04 with 40K on it for $3600 {running rough}, did a valve adjustment, oil change, spark plugs, 1 fuel injector, 2 coil packs, front and rear tires, bearings and brakes, and front and rear sprockets {chain was brand new}... After that work this thing ran & sounded better than my new one, so we threw a PC3r, KN air filter and D&D slip ons we had hanging around on there and sold the bike for $6800 after riding it for 1/2 a year... Piont is we didnt mind doing the work had most of the parts it needed bought the ones we didnt on Fleabay and made $1K each... So I think even if that needs a few things it has potential to be a good rider or money maker... Good luck...

Sounds pretty reasonable to me especially if there is no cosmetic damage or engine damage.

If I had the opportunity to buy a Busa at $4k, I would get it in a heartbeat....even if I had to max out a credit card and write a bad check....lol

Jump on it.
About the smoke, if it smokes and the smoke hangs around a few seconds, it's probably oil. If it smokes from being to rich, that cloud will dissipate almost immediately. Also oil makes blue smoke, fuel makes black.
beerchug.gif

Personally I'd pass on it. 30K miles is no big deal but I'd rather spend the extra $ and buy something that's all stock from an original owner who has all maintenance records. You already know the previous owner was a loser and losers don't take care of their vehicles. Odds are good it was ridden hard and put away wet. Makes no sense to buy a bike for $4K+ and then have to put another $2K into it when you can buy a well maintained bike for $6K with the same mileage and enjoy it without putting any labor into it.

If the smoke has a blue tint I would run. If it's white and doesn't go away after a long ride you have an internal coolant leak. If it's black, probably no big deal...screwed up mods that weren't done right.

At the very least take it for a long ride. Have a friend follow you to make sure it doesn't smoke under heavy load. Open it up a SEVERAL times and make sure the trans doesn't jump out of 2nd gear or "ratchet" at high rpm under full throttle in 2nd. If it passes that test go over the bike with a toothpick. Pull and check the plugs, do a compression test, let it idle to check for overheating, make sure there's no rust inside the gas tank ect.

Back