34/36 psi recommended from manufacturer!

lurk.gif

I always run my tires at the max tire pressure. I found running them softer made them wear out real fast. The bike handles better with the max air in them to in my opinion.
SHOCKED.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Jan. 19 2007,22:48)
(BA BUSA @ Jan. 18 2007,18:23)
(Charlesbusa @ Jan. 18 2007,15:23) PSIs again
laugh.gif

Here we go;

Trackdays 30-34psi depending on temp
Canyons 34-36psi
Commuting(reducing tire wear) 40-42psi

That's my opinion
wink.gif
Tire Pressure
pissed.gif

Seems like we go through 3-4 times a year
laugh.gif
Yup
laugh.gif
Yup.... YUP!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Is this a recuring post on a monthly cycle, our is it something to do with the moons orbit
poke.gif

biggrin.gif

34/36 sounds very accurates to me...I ran 32/34 and somewhat bit too low on it...so I did 36/36 didn't like it...too bouncy.
prolly, will go for, 34/36 or 35 in the rear...
argue.gif

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 18 2007,14:29) Most run f/r psi lower than the manufacturer recommended 42/42 psi that came w/ the OE BT56 "J" tires, but Metzler is recommending 34/36 for the M3! How/why can there be such a marked difference?

Does this look appropriate for the Busa?
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/tyres....E1.y=12
that's actually their recommendation for the Sportec-M1's. Are you sure that you can generalize the recommendation to the M3's?

(Charlesbusa @ Jan. 18 2007,15:23) PSIs again  
laugh.gif

Here we go;

Trackdays   30-34psi  depending on temp
Canyons     34-36psi
Commuting(reducing tire wear)   40-42psi
super.gif

And just to add my $0.02....experiment for yourself so you can feel the difference and make a judgement based on YOUR preference. Make incremental changes and LOG them so that you can refer back to your notes and remember.....tires are sensitive to environmental changes like air/road temperate, barometric pressure and rider style.

IMO, the right answer is "pressures that suit YOU and YOUR riding". The factory pressures are too high for solo riding unless your a 'big guy', and even then I feel they are too much.

Doing track days, I've learned what feels 'too low' for me. Going slow to pit out, tires cold, pressures set to an instructor's recommendations. I didn't like the feel of turning slow. If you ever rode with low psi in the front tire and made slow (parking lot) turns, the steering wants to drop to the stops. I prefer pressures on track days just high enough not to get that feeling. (on my 750, this feeling is somewhere close to 29psi. So I run 30/30 on track days. For street use, on that bike its 32/32. Since the busa is a little heavier, I'm running 34/36. I would not even consider 42/42, the 750's recommended pressures are high like that too BTW.

I'd rather replace tires than body work. I'll take traction over tirelife anyday.

(umairhashmi @ Jan. 18 2007,19:25) The manual that comes with the busa says the bridgestones should be at 42/42.I have kept that and so far my tires look decent at close to 4k miles.But then again im not a very hard rider or "STUNNAH" either  
smile.gif
Damn...that's excellent milage on the stock tires...I have always run the 42/42 because of the owners manual recommendation and my Suzuki Dealer's insistance. However, I only got about 2,500 miles on a stock rear tire. It may be the difference in the roads up here compared to Fla. (Tail of the Dragon and North GA mountains alternating weekends.) I am running the Perrelli Diablo dual composites now and get much better milage. My current set has about 5k and I am going to replace them before my next ride.

I run 20lbs in my M/T MCR2 rear tire. So far it works pretty good. Great traction and I'm getting about 50 miles out them.
race.gif

jump9.gif

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 20 2007,07:24) Just for the record, I'm very knowledgable about tire psi and no more about tires than I care to and that anyone else would care to hear...we were brainwashed w/ it when I worked for Michelin (3 months of solid training in Greenville, SC).

The point of the thread was the disparaging difference between the 42/42 recommended by the Hayabusa owner's manual and the 34/36 recommended from the tire manufacturer.

Note: I wouldn't put it past a tire manufacturer to recommend a lower psi to increase grip and decrease life of the tire to promote replacement tire sales.

The service manager at the dealer scoffed at the 34/36 recommendation unless heading to the track...42 sould be reserved for max load (riding pillion) and 38-39 is where to have it for mildly aggressive riding.
I have no problem running my M3's at 34/36. I have been getting 2:1 out of my rear:front tires at an interval of over 7000 miles on a rear! Anyone that saw how I ride at the Tx Busa Bash can attest I run them from side to side... and they STICK!!

I can also say they are AWESOME in the Rain!! I'm running the 180/55 and will be going back to M3's when I'm ready for a new set.

Yeah, I run the M3's at 34 psi front, 36 psi rear, and they're freakin' awesome!!!! I'm up in Toronto and the temp this spring has been a little crazy, going from 15 to 32 degrees celsius, but the M3's are way awesome. Way better than stock, and feel-wise, better than the M1's I had on my gixxer 750.

I've got smart tire and on a warm (20-25 degree celsius) day, the pressure will go up to 38/41. I guess that's a reasonable increase in spirited freeway and ramps riding.
smile.gif

I am sure I can feel 2 lbs to 3lbs difference in the front. When it's low on pressure it feels like the front wants to fold up/over in a turn like a slow speed u-turn from a dead stop.
Anyone else feel this with their busa?

Brad

260lbs rider.

When I got the bike I started off at the recommended 42/42 on the Battleaxes that came w/ her.  *Still on the bike too.*

I thought that was a bit rough so I dropped it to 34/36 but w/ my weight they kinda fealt squishy... if that makes sense.

I than moved to 36/38 and found a happy median.  Since I'm not a very aggressive rider yet (impoving the twisties skillz), I spend most of my time upright, this just fealt like the most comfortable setting.

I'm surprised to hear that so many people ignore their tire pressure.  I'm glad now that I've always kept a pressure gauge in the hump!

I'm in need of some twisties training this summer!  Any riders in southern Colorado?

(brad @ Jun. 07 2007,01:23) I am sure I can feel 2 lbs to 3lbs difference in the front.  When it's low on pressure it feels like the front wants to fold up/over in a turn like a slow speed u-turn from a dead stop.  

Brad
Yup, go check my previous reply on page 2.

(brad @ Jun. 07 2007,04:23) I am sure I can feel 2 lbs to 3lbs difference in the front. When it's low on pressure it feels like the front wants to fold up/over in a turn like a slow speed u-turn from a dead stop.

Brad
yeah, I feel the same thing happen to me if the pressure drops that much up front

Back