34/36 psi recommended from manufacturer!

lurk.gif
all_coholic.gif

It is amazing though how many people who are ambivalent or actually clueless about their tire pressure. I have been on rides and asked people what tire pressures they are running (this question along with a quick glance at their rear tire tread usually gives me a clue on what their riding skills are) and I have rec'd the following answers:

"Whatever the bike came with"
"I don't know, maybe 12 lbs"
"Don't worry about it man, I checked it last month"
"I don't know, what are you running?"
"Same as my trucks tires"

Ask this question on your next group ride and I bet that you will be surprised/horrified at some of the answers.

Though these threads may be monotonous for the bulk of us, if one rider realizes how important tire pressures are from one of these multiple threads, I can deal with it!

Yeah, so true. The only reason I started lowering my pressures is I would slip in corners and I KNEW racers didn't slip in corners, so I started researching: how do their tires stick like glue when they are going fast and leaned WAY over like that? Are they special tires? Is something different on thier bike? Does tire pressure matter? The answers were: yes, stickie fast wearing race onyl tires, yes, the suspension is setup to stay connected to the road, and yes, lower pressure creates much more stickie heated tire surface and more of it to stay stuck on the road.

PSI is one of the most ignored SAFETY settings on any bike. Everyguy that I've talked to that lost it on a corner [I live in squidland usa] didn't really know about his tire pressure settings

thus, why I'm so anal today
smile.gif

Just for the record, I'm very knowledgable about tire psi and no more about tires than I care to and that anyone else would care to hear...we were brainwashed w/ it when I worked for Michelin (3 months of solid training in Greenville, SC).

The point of the thread was the disparaging difference between the 42/42 recommended by the Hayabusa owner's manual and the 34/36 recommended from the tire manufacturer.

Note: I wouldn't put it past a tire manufacturer to recommend a lower psi to increase grip and decrease life of the tire to promote replacement tire sales.

The service manager at the dealer scoffed at the 34/36 recommendation unless heading to the track...42 sould be reserved for max load (riding pillion) and 38-39 is where to have it for mildly aggressive riding.

EVERY tire manufacturer wants to sell more tires. I don't have an issue with Metzler posting 34/36 psi for their tires. Maybe they are marketing the tire for the track/street crowd rather than the touring/posing/etc. group?

Ok i know we can all do a search! Some good stuff in this link though.  PSI LINKY

Since maximum grip is a good thing, why not just run race pressures on the street? First, according to Michelin's Claude Leroux, increased cornering grip comes at the expense of stability and feel. Lower pressures decrease straight-line stability, and regardless of how talented the rider is, most street bikes spend a high percentage of their time straight up. A side benefit of using the proper pressure is that the front tire will feel more precise and turn in quicker-a good thing during point-and-shoot sessions. Second, you can easily overheat your tires simply riding in a straight line by running the pressure too low. Remember, the lower pressure is to ensure a large contact patch, which is created by the carcass flex. The same process happens when you're not cornering. Take your sport bike out on an extended interstate ride with too little air, and all that flexing of the tire's carcass can cook the life right out of it.
argue.gif

Not sure if Metzeler has changed their site or not but When I bought my M3's they were not listing them for the Busa (or ZX12 or ZX14)"yet" the only tire they had that was rated for Hayabusa fitment then was the M1. They have to meet all of the German TUV ratings etc. to certify a tire for a specific vehicle and it was my understanding that they hadn't done that yet. I even Emailed them about it before purchase and I got back an email stating exactly that.

LSS: you gotta find the pressures that suit you and your riding style/environment etc. I run em at 40-42 psi because I am a Large Lad and that's what I like!

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 20 2007,10:24) Just for the record, I'm very knowledgable about tire psi and no more about tires than I care to and that anyone else would care to hear...we were brainwashed w/ it when I worked for Michelin (3 months of solid training in Greenville, SC).

The point of the thread was the disparaging difference between the 42/42 recommended by the Hayabusa owner's manual and the 34/36 recommended from the tire manufacturer.

Note: I wouldn't put it past a tire manufacturer to recommend a lower psi to increase grip and decrease life of the tire to promote replacement tire sales.

The service manager at the dealer scoffed at the 34/36 recommendation unless heading to the track...42 sould be reserved for max load (riding pillion) and 38-39 is where to have it for mildly aggressive riding.
I appreciate the thread and the hope that other riders will take a better interest in pressures, as mentioned. The peeps on here who abhor reposts or old news should start their own site where no reposts are allowed. I don't mind reposts, if I remember it o.k., if not it's new to me. I definately don't have the time nor the inclination to read each and every new posts daily.  
poke.gif

I see a LOT of speculation here in this thread and I see a LOT of experience on pressures.

What I can offer, is my EXPERIENCE with the Metzler M3 tires. I can compare them to ONLY the Shinko, Stock and Michelin Pilot tires because that is all I have ever run on my bike.

First off... I run my M3's at 32 psi in the front and 34 in the rear. I have run them in the torential rain, freezing ice and snow without as much a bit of slip. I have run them on hot summer days through the mountains all the way from Interstate 66 to Deal's Gap.., and back again. My first set of m3's netted 7200 miles of fun without ever losing grip or heat cycling to a hard compound. My second set I have over 5K miles on them and they still grip like velcro.

I love these tires... I think they are as close to a trackday rubber without comprimising wear as anything you could hope for.

I found my pressures by watching how my tires reacted to my riding. You will need to do the same for your riding style. If you look under the track setups and pressures, you will find the key to the right pressures.

Best of luck!

(Tango1300 @ Jan. 20 2007,14:07) I see a LOT of speculation here in this thread and I see a LOT of experience on pressures.

What I can offer, is my EXPERIENCE with the Metzler M3 tires.  I can compare them to ONLY the Shinko, Stock and Michelin Pilot tires because that is all I have ever run on my bike.

First off... I run my M3's at 32 psi in the front and 34 in the rear.  I have run them in the torential rain, freezing ice and snow without as much a bit of slip.  I have run them on hot summer days through the mountains all the way from Interstate 66 to Deal's Gap.., and back again.  My first set of m3's netted 7200 miles of fun without ever losing grip or heat cycling to a hard compound.  My second set I have over 5K miles on them and they still grip like velcro.

I love these tires...  I think they are as close to a trackday rubber without comprimising wear as anything you could hope for.

I found my pressures by watching how my tires reacted to my riding.  You will need to do the same for your riding style.  If you look under the track setups and pressures, you will find the key to the right pressures.  

Best of luck!
Tango.....what is your size and weight?

(Charlesbusa @ Jan. 18 2007,15:23) PSIs again  
laugh.gif

Here we go;

Trackdays   30-34psi  depending on temp
Canyons     34-36psi
Commuting(reducing tire wear)   40-42psi

That's my opinion  
wink.gif
hey I got flamed for recommending 36/36 last year .

Some guy from Florida , I wont mention any names.
AAAssjani.gif

36/36 hits the spot for me.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Oh come on Guys, Berlin is as cold as a witches tit, and you want to talk tyre pressures
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Whats a TREE
laugh.gif

This is easy, Suzuki and bridgstone got together and came up with a workable solution. Then Suzuki slaps 42PSI on the Slipstones and in their literature out of habit and it's what works OK with the Slipstones.

Metzler takes time to really develop and test their tires. They are constructed differently than the Slipstones, and therefore have different requirements for maximum performance/life span. You'll notice that your feel, confidence, and grip all increase with the Metzlers as well, they are simply better tires.

SO, If you have to choose between Suzuki and an 8 year old tire design and recommended pressure. OR Metzler with a newer carcass and design and testing of the tire/bike combination directly???

ALWAYS BET ON METZLER! I've sat in on some seminars and Metzler really does have it down. They know bike tires and they know bikes. So go with Metzlers recommendations if you haven't already. It's a world of difference. Takes a little getting used to but after a few rides you'll wonder how anyone even rides at 42PSI on the Bridgestones.

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 18 2007,12:49)
(Fire95Z28 @ Jan. 18 2007,12:08) i run Pirelli's on mine. I think the 40/40 is what is reccomended. However, i always run 36/38 no matter what tire it is. Just seems to ride really well that way
I know everyone runs lower psi for improved grip in the turns, just surprised to see a "manufacturer" recommend such a low psi vs. the 42/42 that came with the OE BT56.
I guess my point here is that Suzuki doesn't make tires, they are just following along with what bridgestone and their lawyers tell em' too.

Metzler does know tires and they know their tires on the Busa. So Sportec M1 pressures are accurate for the busa and the tire under standard loads. I believe the MAX is still 42 PSI but that is really only if your carrying a ton of gear and a passenger.

The M3 I have'nt tried yet, and I do not believe that it HAS been TUV approved yet. BUT, it's virtually the same tire as the M1 with a better compound and some belting magic. So I'd run the same as the M1 or start there as a bench mark.

I have a good time listening to everyone go on and on about their tire pressures though. It's sort of a mental exercise.

I am 5'10", 195 lbs.
Running Michelin Pilot Powers,  36f/38r.
Average 6000 miles rear and 10K front, currently 20K on the 04 Busa.
I ride moderately aggressive (have no chicken strips).

Tire Pressure is dependent on your objectives (riding style, milage needs, riding conditons) and ride load.

Just my 2 cents  
beerchug.gif

Back