2up handling not so good

gsxr996

Registered
bought my 01 a few weeks ago and driving single it handles pretty close to the same as my zx14,still perfer the 14 a little.but over the weekend went on a farely fast 2up ride on the busa,and i was kinda scared,just wouldnt turn very good.tried bumping up the the preload and dampning some but that made it worse.its like the extra weight is taking the weight off front tire and cant steer it.dont have this problem on the 14,2up can really motor.when the wife got off bike,handling is great again.dont want to start screwing around with the collars on the spring,worried it might screw up the single handling.

Never had an issue on my Gen1 or Gen2. Did previous owner(s) mod the suspension??

via Tapatalk

does have lowering links but there are in the stock location.just having the links shouldnt make a differance should it.

You just need to set up your suspension. I learned to drag knee riding 2 up. I promise you just need to fine tune it. Also lower your air pressure. I feel most stable at 35 to 38 psi riding 2 up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You just need to set up your suspension. I learned to drag knee riding 2 up. I promise you just need to fine tune it. Also lower your air pressure. I feel most stable at 35 to 38 psi riding 2 up.

I want to get mine set up and read some threads on it but it didn't make any sense to me so mines still stock.

It has to be your suspension. I ride with my wife and it feels like I'm by myself. Does your passenger know how to ride with you?

My bike is stock, never changed anything.
Lynne and me ride two up and it's just fine.
But Lynne hasn't been on the back for quite a while. Well we went out at the weekend and I could tell the difference, it was the extra weight, had to adjust my riding style, soon got used to it again.

no not her,she s one of the best back there,she takes pictures at 100mph on the 14 no problems.just wondering if with the 2 of us at a combined weight with gear of around 420lbs,maybe too much.now remember we were doing speeds on a really twisty back road maybe we shouldnt be doing.

no not her,she s one of the best back there,she takes pictures at 100mph on the 14 no problems.just wondering if with the 2 of us at a combined weight with gear of around 420lbs,maybe too much.now remember we were doing speeds on a really twisty back road maybe we shouldnt be doing.

Probably shouldn't be pushing it till you sort out your handling issue. The suspension is 10 years old and probably has never been tuned, it Probably needs to be re-sprung and new oil. What year is/was your 14? If you prefer that one stick with it.

First off, OP Gsxr996, welcome to the oRg. I see you joined 2 years ago, but have not been a big poster.

Your comparison of riding two-up on the Busa vs. the ZX14 is interesting. I've been riding with a passenger a lot more lately since we have a foreign exchange student with us this year and I agree with you that the Busa handling is not nearly as good 2-up. Part of that is my passenger who is not experienced riding, but getting better. I can't compare the Busa to the ZX14.

I think some of your experience may just be learning and adapting to the new bike. I bought a new sports car this spring, same model as my old one, but two generations newer. The cars handle very similarly, yet I am still feeling out the edges of the new car after several months of driving it. The new vehicle is better in all respects, but I just am not as comfortable sliding her around like the old car I had driven for 9 years.

Perhaps it's the same with your Busa. You've likely gotten a lot more seat time solo, but not nearly so much with a passenger. Both you and your passenger need time to adapt to your new mount. There are so many small adjustments *we* make when riding, both pilot and passenger, and it takes time to develop the muscle memory. Give it some time and don't keep screwing with the suspension.

you have lowering links so it rides a bit high at the front for starters (that slows steering)

then you add a lot more rear weight so even slower steering!!

set the rear spring with 20mm of thread above the lock ring and if it were mine id fit 25mm riser dog bones as the handling will be far better with you only or 2 up.

as said a suspension service must be well over due so get it all done and add stiffer springs to the front while your at it 1.5's or 1.1 kg springs will help no end.

you have lowering links so it rides a bit high at the front for starters (that slows steering)

then you add a lot more rear weight so even slower steering!!

set the rear spring with 20mm of thread above the lock ring and if it were mine id fit 25mm riser dog bones as the handling will be far better with you only or 2 up.

as said a suspension service must be well over due so get it all done and add stiffer springs to the front while your at it 1.5's or 1.1 kg springs will help no end.
Good points! I didn't catch the lowering links. Yep, that will mess things up.

2 up riding fun!

r6.jpg

i never drag knee...but i can drag peg 2 up.....does that count? and yes....i have done slight modifications and adjustments to predampening and all...but a good rider is a plus. note see pic on my sig

Can't make the comparison, had a KZ 650 in late '70's. My '06 and '08 Busa felt better to me in the corners riding two up. We go about 400 pounds. Never touched the factory settings, so my bike isn't set up so to speak. Plenty of folks carve corners two up around here.

First off, OP Gsxr996, welcome to the oRg. I see you joined 2 years ago, but have not been a big poster.

Your comparison of riding two-up on the Busa vs. the ZX14 is interesting. I've been riding with a passenger a lot more lately since we have a foreign exchange student with us this year and I agree with you that the Busa handling is not nearly as good 2-up. Part of that is my passenger who is not experienced riding, but getting better. I can't compare the Busa to the ZX14.

I think some of your experience may just be learning and adapting to the new bike. I bought a new sports car this spring, same model as my old one, but two generations newer. The cars handle very similarly, yet I am still feeling out the edges of the new car after several months of driving it. The new vehicle is better in all respects, but I just am not as comfortable sliding her around like the old car I had driven for 9 years.

Perhaps it's the same with your Busa. You've likely gotten a lot more seat time solo, but not nearly so much with a passenger. Both you and your passenger need time to adapt to your new mount. There are so many small adjustments *we* make when riding, both pilot and passenger, and it takes time to develop the muscle memory. Give it some time and don't keep screwing with the suspension.
thanks for the welcome,didnt post much cause i ended up not buying a busa after all when i joined.got a smoking deal on this one so here i am:beerchug: i;ll figure this out eventually,the wife like the the back of the busa better cause of the corbin seat.i just think the 14 handles the 2up better cause its just a physically bigger bike.

Back