2nd gear slipping!!???

I see them in Hayabusaparts.com under socket sets (5) for $150. I'm not interested in paying that money, for a wrench I'll need for one job. I'm going to see if there are any alternatives, i.e., Sears or somebody having a replica tool/socket that will fit.

Shmoo,

someone just suggested a flat stop in the map........Does that sound like it could be? I have a pc3r also. What map are you running?
A map nothing to do with gears trust me  
baaa.gif
ya  didnt think so.....

Ok what do you guys Sugest I do, Replace the Clutch? first and springs? or go straight to the shift fork?
let's see where to start you said your chain and sprockets suck. and you got some miles.
I would fix chain and sprocket then check the clutch by the fool proof method in 6th at 40mph pull clutch in and rev and dump clutch if it slips cutch is shot if it boggs clutch is fine

I've already replaced my clutch, and it doesn't slip anymore. But, I still get the 2nd gear *jerk*. I've been listening to your advice about the fork shifter, and 2nd/6th gear needing replacement.

I had a suzuki mechanic friend of mine tell me that it could possibly be the torque converter in the clutch area. He said to take it out, and see if the 3 fingered connection area is burred or chipped. If so, to grind it down smooth again. What are your thoughts on that>?

:grim: playing necromancer and digging up a dead thread. Basically stock 2003-no engine mods, no power commander, stock exhaust, stock sized sprockets, etc. I replaced the chain, sprockets, clutch plates, installed the Carpenter Clutch Mod lock ring with 3 stiffer springs and a slave brace over 3 years ago.

I've mentioned this before in other threads, but if I give the bike full throttle in 2nd gear then around 8k RPM it feels like the chain skips a tooth or I pulled the clutch in for .5 seconds. It is an incredibly fast, butt-puckering shudder and is not a fuel cut off. No issues if I slowly pull my way up the tachometer...no clue if it happens in other gears because I can't afford that kind of ticket!

With the bike on stands and idling in gear (no throttle), it sounds like she is "coughing"...lurching/bucking as if about to stall while idling in 1st and 2nd gear. There is a relatively loud "clunking" noise from the bottom of the engine (transmission area). I attempted to film it, but the camera just pick up engine noise. The lurching and noise are still present in the higher gears, but nowhere near as noticeable. The lurching and noise go away above 3k-ish RPM.

Engine idles fine out of gear and plows through the tachometer without issue. Unless someone has other thoughts/suggestions/input: the transmission forks/gears are toast. Baby it until I save up enough to buy an undercut/racecut tranny and billet forks, which are currently around $1300. Never planning to boost or beef up the motor...I can't afford that kind of continuous project :D

Last edited:
:grim: playing necromancer and digging up a dead thread. Basically stock 2003-no engine mods, no power commander, stock exhaust, stock sized sprockets, etc. I replaced the chain, sprockets, clutch plates, installed the Carpenter Clutch Mod lock ring with 3 stiffer springs and a slave brace over 3 years ago.

I've mentioned this before in other threads, but if I give the bike full throttle in 2nd gear then around 8k RPM it feels like the chain skips a tooth or I pulled the clutch in for .5 seconds. It is an incredibly fast, butt-puckering shudder and is not a fuel cut off. No issues if I slowly pull my way up the tachometer...no clue if it happens in other gears because I can't afford that kind of ticket!

With the bike on stands and idling in gear (no throttle), it sounds like she is "coughing"...lurching/bucking as if about to stall while idling in 1st and 2nd gear. There is a relatively loud "clunking" noise from the bottom of the engine (transmission area). I attempted to film it, but the camera just pick up engine noise. The lurching and noise are still present in the higher gears, but nowhere near as noticeable. The lurching and noise go away above 3k-ish RPM.

Engine idles fine out of gear and plows through the tachometer without issue. Unless someone has other thoughts/suggestions/input: the transmission forks/gears are toast. Baby it until I save up enough to buy an undercut/racecut tranny and billet forks, which are currently around $1300. Never planning to boost or beef up the motor...I can't afford that kind of continuous project :D
My bike doesn't like to be in gear on the stands with no throttle...remember all that moving mass takes power and the bike at idle makes very little...

If your bike is doing this under power on the road, maybe you have internal transmission issues such as a worn gear or shifting fork.....

With everything you've done so far, this is the last place to look...

Many years ago, my 2004 Hayabusa had the second gear start slipping. At first it was very subtle in second gear right after shift. Then gradually it got worse to the point it would start slipping while accelerating out of corners. It was just like you described like it the chain had slipped or that I bumped the clutch.

You have to split the cases to get the transmission gears out but if you get a race cut you'll never have the problem again. Bike will also shift better in my opinion. And yes you'll definitely want to change a shift forks at the same time.
I also recommend new transmission bearings especially the one that the clutch rod goes through. Sometimes dirt gets pushed in by the clutch rod and that bearing goes out early.

Back