2017 GSXR 1K announced

I shamelessly grabbed this size comparison from GDC,a member scaled and overlayed the '17 GSXR-1K and current R1:

"...I was wondering how big this thing actually is, R1 size? Bigger, smaller?
So I grabbed a couple of decent side shot pictures from the web and used the front tyre as a scale and reference point to match the two together and came up with what shown below.
R1 in front of GSX-R

The results look spooky close to me, as far as I can tell (and this is a precision measurement) the only significant different I can see is the swing arm pivot is further forward on the GSX-R, so a longer swing arm on that one.

22504644514_4153534ab2_h.jpg

22735072519_ff66374830_h.jpg

I shamelessly grabbed this size comparison from GDC,a member scaled and overlayed the '17 GSXR-1K and current R1:

"...I was wondering how big this thing actually is, R1 size? Bigger, smaller?
So I grabbed a couple of decent side shot pictures from the web and used the front tyre as a scale and reference point to match the two together and came up with what shown below.
R1 in front of GSX-R

The results look spooky close to me, as far as I can tell (and this is a precision measurement) the only significant different I can see is the swing arm pivot is further forward on the GSX-R, so a longer swing arm on that one.

That's a cool comparison, great job.
Makes me wonder about Superbike R&D. That the "new" designs on the bikes are what is considered optimal and the latest tech now. So different companies are basically building there own version to fit in the same box. That's really always been the case to an extent anyway.
I still prefer the gsxr to the R1. I'de almost ride a Harley before an R1...almost.
I have the same gripe about all the R1's. They don't make power til about 1k rpms before redline, and they feel like they need a steering wheel instead of bars. They just don't feel or ride right.:laugh:

It's faster to modulate throttle blades for traction control.

Interested to see the vvt on these new bikes.

I belive that.
From what I hear and read, the R1's electric throttle is about as good as light switch.
But that it can be improved in the ecu.
I hope Suzuki's is better.
The variable valve timing will be cool if it can actually make some real usable power.

I'm still trying not to buy a new leftover 13 or 14 gsxr1k, 9800 otd is tempting, and I don't want or need all the new tech.:beerchug:

I'm still trying not to buy a new leftover 13 or 14 gsxr1k, 9800 otd is tempting, and I don't want or need all the new tech.:beerchug:

Thats exactly what I did;I didnt want all the latest electronic nannies so I bought a new L3 1000 for a great price. Few mods later and Im 190+rwhp and happy.

This couldn't be more false.........
WAYYYYY better bikes wen u compare their RACE versions vs. the STOCK version from slozuka which is all they offer..... not even in the same league! I personally cud care less about going round and round in circles for hours but if u think a stock GSXR is gonna compete with MV Agusta's F4 RC then ur drinking too much kook-aid....:whistle:

GNBRETT what planet are you on? The GSXR1000 is on of the most popular race bikes ever. Go to a track day and most bikes there are gixxers.

just go look at suzuki in motogp, gone from no where towards the front, power isnt everything , handling is

i think its a great bike, hopefully more real world performance than R1 and s1000rr,

WAYYYYY better bikes wen u compare their RACE versions vs. the STOCK version from slozuka which is all they offer..... not even in the same league! I personally cud care less about going round and round in circles for hours but if u think a stock GSXR is gonna compete with MV Agusta's F4 RC then ur drinking too much kook-aid....:whistle:

First - I don't see how it is fair to compare a stock street version of a bike to a race version of another??

Second - put the same rider on both of these bikes at the same track and see the difference. I bet, even if they were faster on the MV, not by the amount of $$ difference.

Third - I've never even seen a MV F4 RC in person, much less the race track. I'm betting there is a reason for that.

Regardless - You aren't happy that they didn't do something wild like a blower or something. Because all of the other manufacturers have put blowers on their liter bikes?

They didn't put a blower on it because they wanted to actually sell the bikes to more than just idiots with too much money or professional race teams. Look how many H2's were sold vs. standard NA bikes. Highly unlikey anyone has seen an H2 sitting for sale on a show room floor, its a race machine not a decked out CVO Harley!

There's an H2 for sale on Raleigh NC Craigslist.
Looks legit, 800 miles, asking $22000.
No thanks, I'll take a cheap out dated, bare bones gsxr1k any day.
To each their own.

However, I would really like to see an H2 on the track...just once...

I've only got 10K miles or so "running around in circles" on a race track, but I'll say again....I've never lined up against anything that will walk my 07 or 12 Suzuki GSXR1000.

Back