2013 Hayabusa 580 miles

Hello everyone I’m new to the forum. I just bought my first Hayabusa. Coming from an R1 and a few zx10r’s this is best bike I’ve ever had. My question is the bike only has 580 miles and is 7 years old and I was filling up at the gas station and noticed a powdery residue all over the gas tank lid where the gasket is. Im curious if anybody can tell me what it is. I just change the oil and I’m about to bleed the brakes do the clutch and change the radiator fluid. Here’s a picture of the stuff that was all over the inside of the gas tank.

CC668F8D-537E-43A8-9929-D1F10F957FB9.jpeg

:welcome: to the show dude. Can't help you with a 100% correct answer on yer question,but I would suggest you don't stop at fluids.7 year old tires need a look see,so do fuel lines,battery,fork seals,perhaps a fuel treatment to make sure everything is clean and flowing good,injectors,etc.Especially seeing yer mystery substance there.
Lots to choose from on the market,SeaFoam etc...I swear by this stuff,yer local German car dealership will hopefully have it.
Just suggestions,on my 5th Busa...bought it as a 6 year old (2010) with only 2500 miles on the clock.
You will love this site,best on the planet.
'Ride it,like ya stole it" :thumbsup:
Rubb.

Thanks for the information! The owner told me he started it every month and kept it on a battery charger and it was kept in his garage. I should be happy that it’s like new but I know sitting isn't that great either. I’ll try an additive.

Thanks for the information! The owner told me he started it every month and kept it on a battery charger and it was kept in his garage. I should be happy that it’s like new but I know sitting isn't that great either. I’ll try an additive.
So you grabbed a 2013? What color did you land? The black,white or yellow.
New members sometimes get :poke:for not posting a pic of the new ride.
I'll save member @Sandow the trouble...its usually his "thing"
Rubb.

I do not know that that powder is. Is it slick? It is not the common gray graphite but I wonder if a powdered lubricant was used to free up a sticky gas lid. People have a bad habit of using powders to lubricate mechanisms that truly should be cleaned and definitely not gunked up with solid lubricants.

It looks like dried fuel through condensation...if the bike was stored in an environment where it got warm then cold over time, the fuel will condensate with water vapor then dry like that.

Check the inside of the tank, if it's clean with no rust-then no problem.

...oh and welcome, you've made the right choice in getting your Hayabusa..

Just like @rubbersidedown said, pictures are always welcome...we know you have a camera now...:banana:

I’m away from home. I’ll have to take more but I have a few. The color is white with blue in it. And the stuff wasn’t really slick it was the consistency of girls concealer make up I guess lol It smelled like a weird chemical smell. The tank doesn’t look rusty at all.

235EEEC5-F38A-472F-B8FF-7048C3407703.jpeg

5F6CB856-ABD8-49C8-B40F-A3DAB6F55AF7.jpeg

FC0FB38D-8EF3-4470-9052-121EA9962948.jpeg

A7D1A4BE-D103-49EA-BB50-38D50D0FD85A.jpeg

8C423A09-5372-44F7-A394-3AA0E1318936.png

Great looking bike-one of my favorite colors.

I wouldn't be worried about that residue, it looks like dried fuel to me..

If the inside of the tank looks good, you are golden...
Great looking bike-one of my favorite colors.

I wouldn't be worried about that residue, it looks like dried fuel to me..

If the inside of the tank looks good, you are golden...
I just messaged the guy and he said there was seafoam fuel stabilizer in it.

:welcome:
Make sure you play with it in the upper rev range (above 5,500 rpm) once in a while. The bike's injectors need that. But with low miles ... aren't there break-in procedures until about 600 mi or something??
There is a break in procedure. He said he never went over 4500 rpm. That’s hard to believe because it’s a rocket. Oil was changed with Motul synthetic. I haven’t redlined it yet but I got on it a little and was screaming and laughing In my helmet haha

There is a break in procedure. He said he never went over 4500 rpm. That’s hard to believe because it’s a rocket. Oil was changed with Motul synthetic. I haven’t redlined it yet but I got on it a little and was screaming and laughing In my helmet haha
It is hard to believe, but I baby mine as well! It is a monster above 4500. Laughing inside the helmet, thats just part of busa ownership LOL

It is hard to believe, but I baby mine as well! It is a monster above 4500. Laughing inside the helmet, thats just part of busa ownership LOL
It’s crazy because I’ve been doing the same thing. I ride it a lot more conservatively compared to my CBR 1000rr. I kind of just cruise and once in a while I get on it and it blows my mind lol Do most of you guys have cars? I know this sounds crazy but this is my daily. It’s all I have since selling my car.

It’s crazy because I’ve been doing the same thing. I ride it a lot more conservatively compared to my CBR 1000rr. I kind of just cruise and once in a while I get on it and it blows my mind lol Do most of you guys have cars? I know this sounds crazy but this is my daily. It’s all I have since selling my car.

I actually ride mine more conservatively than my old Bandit, I normally putt around with the odd blast out on the back roads and it is a rare thing for me to go over 6k RPM.

Our riding season is short here (Apr-Oct) and we get lots of snow so a 4 wheeled vehicle is a must...

I just messaged the guy and he said there was seafoam fuel stabilizer in it.
Cool. GTG.
:welcome:
Make sure you play with it in the upper rev range (above 5,500 rpm) once in a while. The bike's injectors need that. But with low miles ... aren't there break-in procedures until about 600 mi or something??
There are. But....read on.
Opinions. 3 basic schools of thought. #1. Manual must be adhered to,no matter what. #2. Go with #1,buts is OK to stretch her legs here and there.
#3. My personal belief and that of others. "Fast break-in = Fast bike" The idea backed up with dyno numbers,etc. The theory,seat the rings as fast as possible. A test (prolly many done) used 2 brand new sportbikes.One was broken in to the letter of the manual. One was broken in by caning it like a misbehaving Indonesian schoolboy. It was thrashed on. Big difference in dyno numbers. Everybody does the pipe mod,the airbox thing,etc etc. My thought,break in hard,get some free HP and save some dough.LOL.
Here's how I would justify the "ride it,like you stole it" theory.
-before leaving the factory,its been run to redline,if crank bearings were going to fail as some claim could happen,it would have done it there.
-seating the rings is important (at least I think so) I don't want "blo-by" in my brand new motor.
-the Busa motor may be one of the toughest MC motors ever invented. (I'll leave that one for debate)
Blah blah blah
Stang I applaud your self-control.
No seriously. :bowdown: I will never be able to sell my Busa here on the Org...ever. Or will I....

The one thing I can offer is that my motor has been "Real World" tested.
Because of the fact that I am 56 years old...going on 18...my bike gets tested daily. I maybe the most squid-like dude you'll ever meet. When somebody comes up beside me at a red light or even while in motion and gives me that look w/ head nod....
Its game on. It's hammertime. Even when alone...fug it...I'll show off for me. Grip it and rip it. Thats why they invented the rev limiter. Mine is over clocked in that department...ECU enhanced. :laugh:
If I don't climb off after "A Hit" with full adrenaline body shakes,slight vertigo and a feeling like I need to...

Then I feel I have not done the Busa creedo justice.
Riding like an' azzhole is not for everyone...I do not recommend it. It is almost guaranteed to shorten your lifespan. Will I do it again today? Fug ya. Nobody has ever thought of me as smart.

Rubb.

Cool. GTG.

There are. But....read on.

Opinions. 3 basic schools of thought. #1. Manual must be adhered to,no matter what. #2. Go with #1,buts is OK to stretch her legs here and there.
#3. My personal belief and that of others. "Fast break-in = Fast bike" The idea backed up with dyno numbers,etc. The theory,seat the rings as fast as possible. A test (prolly many done) used 2 brand new sportbikes.One was broken in to the letter of the manual. One was broken in by caning it like a misbehaving Indonesian schoolboy. It was thrashed on. Big difference in dyno numbers. Everybody does the pipe mod,the airbox thing,etc etc. My thought,break in hard,get some free HP and save some dough.LOL.
Here's how I would justify the "ride it,like you stole it" theory.
-before leaving the factory,its been run to redline,if crank bearings were going to fail as some claim could happen,it would have done it there.
-seating the rings is important (at least I think so) I don't want "blo-by" in my brand new motor.
-the Busa motor may be one of the toughest MC motors ever invented. (I'll leave that one for debate)
Blah blah blah

Stang I applaud your self-control. View attachment 1624051 No seriously. :bowdown: I will never be able to sell my Busa here on the Org...ever. Or will I....View attachment 1624052

The one thing I can offer is that my motor has been "Real World" tested.
Because of the fact that I am 56 years old...going on 18...my bike gets tested daily. I maybe the most squid-like dude you'll ever meet. When somebody comes up beside me at a red light or even while in motion and gives me that look w/ head nod....
Its game on. It's hammertime. Even when alone...fug it...I'll show off for me. Grip it and rip it. Thats why they invented the rev limiter. Mine is over clocked in that department...ECU enhanced. :laugh:
If I don't climb off after "A Hit" with full adrenaline body shakes,slight vertigo and a feeling like I need to...View attachment 1624054

Then I feel I have not done the Busa creedo justice.
Riding like an' azzhole is not for everyone...I do not recommend it. It is almost guaranteed to shorten your lifespan. Will I do it again today? Fug ya. Nobody has ever thought of me as smart. View attachment 1624053

Rubb.
Haha awesome. Just took it out for a little bit and that hundred foot pounds of torque is absolutely insane it’s hard to hold on lol How different were the dyno numbers?

Haha awesome. Just took it out for a little bit and that hundred foot pounds of torque is absolutely insane it’s hard to hold on lol How different were the dyno numbers?
I'll have to look thru my "Impotant Busa Stuff" file to find it. Shouldn't take more than 2 or 3....hours. :laugh:
Yup...100 ft lbs. Cool right. I've been careless a few times and had the bars litterally torn outa my hands...dangerous as fug. But I love it. Forgot what my Busa puts down for torque. A new dyno tune is a need,but funds are short.:confused: Would like to see what it puts down today. One of the Turbo Guru's could prolly give me a great estimate. It gets asked almost daily,guess I should know.Sometimes when asked those standard questions we all get,I just point to my custom bucket lids.Be careful out there with yer new scooter. You come from R1 fame so yer no stranger to the game.
Rubb.

Those are awesome Yeah the R1 was definitely faster than my cbr1000rr. That’s the exact feeling like it’s going to take off from under me. Yeah super curious on the hard break in dyno numbers. I’m really happy about my purchase. Once all the fluids are changed and new tires I’ll feel even better.

Back