2008 Busa tipover, Paint? New Panel? Opinions

MunzMachine

Registered
I really dropped the ball on this one. I left the bike on the sidestand on a slight downhill and right as I got two steps away.... Kaboom Fortunately the passenger peg saved the tail, but the front fairing is slightly scraped and the side fairing got pretty rashed up.

Opinions:

Should I have the fairing wet sanded, repainted, and a new decal applied?

New factory fairings?

New aftermarket fairings?

Custom paint?

I sort of like my bikes either clean, functional, and mostly factory with tasteful upgrades but definately nothing to cause issues, or full on custom builds. This one is def the later. Thanks for the input. Dave

BusaDown 001.jpg

BusaDown 002.jpg

I have the same scrapes on my blue 08. Guy I bought it from had it fall over in the garage. A new blue panel is $400. Don't feel like spending that right now.

I got a blue sharpie and colored the scrapes. (seriously)

The stator cover gets a black sharpie, but will replace that with my Woodcraft cover.

& toss those stock levers for the Pazzo or FP Tactical or whatever brand works for you.

If you opt for the wet sand / paint / decals, I'm wondering if that's less that $400 for a new panel.

You could most likely wet sand what you have and blend some color back on with a airbrush to where it would be hard to even tell if your not looking to spend any coin. If not I would say check e-bay for a new take panel, lots of people parting bikes out now a days and it should be pretty easy to find a replacement for decent money. Touch up the stator cover and upgrade the levers. Easy Weezy, back to riding pretty in a couple hours. :thumbsup:

Did you leave it in neutral? I dont want the same thing to happen to me. I always leave mine in first gear, but I also park on a slight incline when I park at work.

sorry for your mishap, i like that color

i see a lot of gen2's without frame sliders dont they make them for them or are people opting to not put them on?

I hear you on just leaving it and I would on any other of my bikes. Depending on how much the decal costs I might try to just repair it myself, wet sanding out the scratches and repainting the panel. Installing sliders would probably mean hacking apart the fairing anyway so I'm guessing thats why they're not too popular. Kinda defeats the point and besides nothing fits easily on 2nd gen busa. Thanks for the heads up.

I actually manufacture the mirrors, rearsets, pass peg assemblies and triple clamps. They will likely be advertised for sale here shortly once my site is updated and testing is complete. Basically, my goal is to produce high end aftermarket parts which actually fit, perform properly, and accent relatively stock bikes. The ordeal of sending your bike for a multi month vacation at the motorcycle shop for extensive customization so it can become an unreliable fragile showpiece seems to be burning too many people out of the scene.

Jusst ride it. If it bothers u that much het a new oem fairing from justin at honda east. He will hook you up. I pashnits idea about the marker.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

They sell no cut frame sliders, so no need to hack up your fairing. I would ride it just like that until I had the money to repair it. I would wet sand and get a paint guy to blend it in.

I am anal about that stuff also but just ride it.Looks pretty good.Mine tipped over in the garage and left a few marks but rubbed them out enough so they arent too noticable.I will be doing full paint in the winter anyway.I am sure someone can repaint that area and make it look good but I would ride it as is.

You might try getting a scratch remover and working the paint over with that, it might surprise you how much you will be able to get out.

Touch up the stator cover with paint or a permanent marker.

Have dropped mine multiple times too...the design of the kickstand is atrocious. There has been some very good advice posted up already.
1. U do not need to get new fairings. Those scratches are very superficial and can be blended in with a color marker as mentioned before..or lightly sanded and blended by a painter for cheap.
2. Get some shorties and u won't be dealing with this breakage again...Pashnit sells some nice ones.
3. Get some black Rustoluem...mask off the area...presand the roughed up area and just rattle can it...no one will notice.
4. Would recommend that you do the three following things down the road. A. do the kickstand mod..look it up. B. Put some sliders on the bike..alot cheaper than fairings. C. Get a stator cover.

Put me on your list for those mirrors...i Like THEM!!!

Back