2000 Busa won't start...pls help

Better yet I'll send you my addy and you can ship it to me. I'll take care of her all winter long for ya. I mean take care of that cranking problem. :whistle:

I think I may have found the problem. The plugs are all sooty black. What could have caused this condition?

Picasa Web Albums - Neil - Hayabusa pics

HayabusaPics

That is way too rich (Too much fuel and not enough air).
Is something blocking the airways into the airbox?
Is your air filter really dirty (plugged)
Is your bike stock or do you have a Power Commander?

Yes, I have a power commander, but for my troubleshooting I disconnected it. I may have to remove it all together. I checked the airbox and it looks ok. The air filter looks decent. I did find some oil residue in the airbox.

I got a new set of NGK CR9E. I hope these will fix the problem.

Well those plugs arent bad dude. Wouldnt hurt to change them though, its your cash. Yes they're dirty but doubtful they're causing the problem. I would suggest unplugging the Power Commander and try running the bike without it to eliminate that as a problem. Did you check spark on your plugs since you had them out anyway. Wouln't hurt to crank the bike over a couple of times with the plugs out to air it out. You might have some fuel in there since you've been priming the injectors everytime you try starting your bike.

The oil residue in the air box is most likely from the pair valve system. No biggy.

It was probably the map in the Power Commander that made the fuel mixture rich.
Your plugs are pretty bad.
In your pic some of the carbon is even falling off onto the paper you placed them on for the pic. The rest of the combustion chamber has some carbon in it too I'll bet.
When you get her up, run a can of BG 44K through and that will help all of it.
Here is some pics of plugs for reference.

Scan10001_edited.jpg

I took a flashlight and looked down into the combustion chamber and noticed some brownish gunk (maybe carbon) on top of the pistons.
Is there a way to remove this gunk while I have the plugs removed?

Thank you.

You should also check the fuel pump. At our dealer here,when we sell a bike that has been sitting for a long preirod of time, if it does not start 8 out of 10 times its gummed up fuel in the fuel pump. Spark plugs dont usually go bad by sitting, they go bad by bad mixture and leaky piston seals. so check your fuel pump. Just beacuse its making a noise when you turn the key, does not mean that its pumpin fresh fuel.

If it all fails take it to a dealer. Pay $100 to get it checked out, and when they find the problem you can buy the parts on the spot from parts department and take it home and fix it yourself. Sometimes, $100 is worth beeing able to start your bike and ride it, instead of trying to repair and fix an unknown problem for weeks.

Couldn't you just make sure you have a good amount of fuel in the tank, lift the tank up, and put an extended hose on the outlet of the pump, then cycle the power and see what kind of gas flow you have? That will tell you if the pump is working. Even if there's only gravity pressure the bike should at least attempt to start.

Re: 2000 Busa won't start...pls help --SUCCESS!!!

Got her running finally!!! Whew!

I took the injectors out of the throttle bodies and marinated the filter ends standing in a bowl of Gumout fuel injection cleaner. After 5 mins, took the injectors and blew compressed air into the filters. Installed them back, hooked up the battery, turned the ignition key to on, and with just ONE press of the run switch, the engine started!

Thank you all for your support and assistance. Excellent board, but most of all, excellent members.

Re: 2000 Busa won't start...pls help --SUCCESS!!!

Got her running finally!!! Whew!

I took the injectors out of the throttle bodies and marinated the filter ends standing in a bowl of Gumout fuel injection cleaner. After 5 mins, took the injectors and blew compressed air into the filters. Installed them back, hooked up the battery, turned the ignition key to on, and with just ONE press of the run switch, the engine started!

Thank you all for your support and assistance. Excellent board, but most of all, excellent members.

Congrats!

I enjoyed this little troubleshooting thread. Having no experience with fuel injection systems, I got a nice little lesson. Thanks!

Glad we could help.
Run some BG 44K through it as per directons on the can.
That will clean up a lot of whatever is left.

:welcome:

Great! I can imagine the feeling of relief you have. Next time you take a break from riding, put fuel stabilizer in the tank and let her idle for 5 min (so that fuel with stabilizer gets to injectors).

If you find your injectors
are not working right ,
you can not clean
them yourself .

They need to be dismantled ,
and professionally cleaned ,
worn / damaged components

like pintles are replaced ,
and they get pressure tested .

@03nosbusa has posted

the number for MPS racing ,
and they do nice work .