2000 Busa won't start...pls help

neilb

Registered
Hi all. First time poster here.

I have a 2000 Busa and it has been sitting in the garage for over 13 months now. Yesterday, I decided to clean her up. Under the fuel tank were two hoses that somehow got loosend, thus the fuel tank was totally empty. In no particular order I reconnected the hoses to the inlets. Put in fresh 89octane gas and also a brand new battery.

The red switch is on and the bike is in neutral. When I turn the ignition on I can hear the fuel pump prime humming. I press the run start switch on but the engine won't crank or turn over. Dealer code says C00.

Do you think somehow the spark plugs got fouled up?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Pulling the clutch in all the way? Clutch switch went bad? Starter relay fuse? (I am guessing there has to be a starter relay). With good battery, it should at least crank.

Was it running 13 months ago? If it was sitting for so long with the fuel in lines, the injectors might be clogged, too, as well as the fuel filter - but all that regardless of cranking. If fuel stabilizer was added 13 months ago, then fuel should not clog injectors/filter.

Good luck.

I'm sorry for the lack of info.

Yes, the engine cranks fine. It just won't fire.

Yes, I pull in the clutch. The bike is in neutral. I have 2 gallons of 89 gas in the tank. The tail fairing has been removed to do some mod.

It was running fine 13 months ago.

Maybe the tip over sensor is bad? Spark plugs maybe?

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I have the choke on. I also twist the throttle partially. The engine just won't fire -- it cranks, but it won't fire.

Please help. Thank you.

Check the obvious things first spark plugs, injectors plugged in, coils on plugs, cam sensor plugged in, fuses. You said you had the tail section off, do you have anything unplugged?

If it was running when you put it away, it can only be one of two things- spark or fuel.
My guess is that you have got the fuel hoses on the wrong place somehow. You said they were off, and you put them back in no order.
Check out the manual posted here and see if the hoses are connected correctly.
See if gas is getting to the throttle bodies.
Sometimes for hard starting, I put a rag soaked with gas in front of each inlet of the front fairing. That will give it a little assist with some gas vapor in the air inlet.
BE CAREFUL! just a little gas and when it starts remove them. Don't burn yourself or the bike up!
Don't crank the starter for more than 30 seconds at a time and let it rest and cool down for 3 minutes or so each time. You can burn out your starter.

JMO Good Luck!

Great, thanks for all the tips. I'll check the spark plugs if they' re fouled up.

I checked the hoses and I connected them properly according to the manual.

First off, shame on you for letting it sit for that long.

Pull at least the #1 spark plug, check the gap and electrode. If it looks good, ground it out to the engine case, and crank the starter. Safer way to go would be an inductive spark checker, or an inline spark indicator.

the fuel in your injectors has dryed up and wont let any fresh fuel through, Ive seen it many times, send them to MPS Racing 407-330-9727 they do a great job of cleaning them and a quick turn around, your plugs are probably fine from sitting but it wouldnt hurt to change them (NGK CR9E)

to double check lift your tank, crank the engine over a few times, quickly remove the fuel line from the throttle bodies if a little gas "drips out" your injectors are probably ok if gas "sprays out" they are clogged, its not going to spray out a gallon or anything like that but it will be a few onces.

Hope this helps

Good luck with her, she is probably really pi$$ed that you let her sit that long. Keep us posted. Me personally, I would have checked the plugs and if that didnt do it, its off the the shop!!!!

If I take the injectors out, how do you usually clean them? Which solvent do you use?

Thank you.

If I take the injectors out, how do you usually clean them? Which solvent do you use?

Thank you.

If you find your injectors are not working, you can't clean them yourself. They need to be dismantled, and professionally cleaned, worn/damaged components like pintles are replaced, and they get pressure tested.

03nosbusa has posted the number for MPS racing, and they do nice work. If you isolate the injectors as the problem, give them a call.

If you find your injectors are not working, you can't clean them yourself. They need to be dismantled, and professionally cleaned, worn/damaged components like pintles are replaced, and they get pressure tested.

03nosbusa has posted the number for MPS racing, and they do nice work. If you isolate the injectors as the problem, give them a call.

I see. Thanks for the heads up.

Try reversing those 2 fuel hoses.
If you reversed them when you first put them on, fuel will not be going in the right direction.
All the rest of the suggested fixes will lead you astray if there is no fuel even getting to the injectors.

Try reversing those 2 fuel hoses.
If you reversed them when you first put them on, fuel will not be going in the right direction.
All the rest of the suggested fixes will lead you astray if there is no fuel even getting to the injectors.

Thanks Mike. I did consult the service manual and I believe I have the hoses in the proper connection.

Back