Help, busa won't start!!

busafng

Registered
I had to let my 03 sit for about 120 days without being able to ride her. Yeah I know I didn't buy it to store it but due to travel, illness, work, life I wasn't able to spend the time I wanted riding. Went to finally get back on her and no start. The gauges did the sweep dance and it went click, click as if it wanted to start and the first thing that came to mind was that the battery had croaked. Last time I rode it was a bit hard to start but I figured the battery was giving up the ghost. Put a brand new battery in today, went to crank her up and nothing. Just the whir of the fuel pump. The gauges didn't even sweep and no mileage appeared on the display. Gotta be something simple, it ran great the last time it ran and its been stored inside the entire time I couldn't be on it. Yes, I know how to start the bike, its in neutral, the clutch lever is pulled, the start button is on, the fuel gauge reads three quarters full so fuel shouldn't be the issue. When I hit the start button I can hear the fuel pump whine so somethings trying to happen but it doesn't even begin to fire. HELP!!!! Thanks all.
Busafng

Did you start it?
rock.gif
Make sure you get some NEW gas....AND invest in a battery tender $25....

How do I check the cut off switch? Thanks!
The engine cut off switch is the emergency stop for the engine. Here's a picture. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to make sure we have our terminology together. As stated previously, the fuel pump (on a 2005 anyway) should run as soon as the key is switched into the "On" position, providing that the engine cut off switch is in the "Run" position and the bike is in neutral. If the bike is in gear, the kickstand must be raised before the fuel pump will come on.

<!--EDIT|E4G67
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130725027 -->

Engine_Cut_Off_Switch_Display.JPG

Did not get it started yet. Went back to work the cut off switch in case it was just some corrosion that could be worked out but no dice. Haven't tried anything with the kickstand. Noticed a ticking sound from the center of the bike and then the whirring of the fuel pump(?) But still no movement on gauges or cylinders. Agreed, a battery tender would be great but since the bike is in a storage bay without electricty that's not an option. Should be getting a house with a garage around Feb. and do MUCH more riding. Divorce sucks. Thanks for any help.
Busafng

E4G67,
Thanks for the pic. Yes, we are on the same page. Bike is in neutral and I'm pulling in the clutch lever to start it as I have in the past. I'm hitting all the right spots but no go. Thanks.

might check the fuses if its not sweeping. I would also check check battery voltage even if its new cant hurt. just try to rock the bike in gear one time to see if it helps aswell

Have you probed around the wiring? Could be some rodent damage. Damned mice will eat nearly anything.

Turn the key on and make shur the engine cut off swtich is on aswell. Then put the bike in 1st and hold the clutch and have a friend push you down the street "5mph+", pop the clutch and give it alot of throttle.

P.S
Check to see if the screws on the battery is tight and if you use a power commander make shur the Ground is connected aswell.

But yes do the Push start.. its a go
biggrin.gif
for shur
blush.gif

Hey there is a little contact switch on the clutch lever assembly it has two skinny wires with clear connection covers...Pull those out and clean the two prongs....that should do it....

Thanks for all the suggestions but nothing so far has worked. The mice idea was one I would have never thought of. Called my mechanic and he reccommends further inspection of the battery. Still thinks it isn't putting out enough juice to kick it over despite being new. Maybe enough volts but not enough amps. Reccomends having it load checked and charged at 2 amps for 5-10 hrs. Guess will lug the original battery to the local stealership for a check. Thanks.
Busafng

hmmm .. late on a post as usuall .. but, I was going to say ..i'm think'n its your battery ..I work on Hardley's .. n a lot of these bike Owners seem to think the battery will just stay " Amped" up ..on there own ...n fyi moment .. they " dont" .. I check to see if the " Volts " are up first.. ( I usually find them in the 12.3 to 4 range ...which a lot of people think .. < Hey there's nothing wrong with my battery > ..and then I check the " Volts" ..uhmm usually after a ..month or 2 sleep ..some of these " Riders " <---- losely used "term" in most cases
wow.gif
..the " Volts " are down to 4 to 6 .. definitly not enuff to turn a starter.. so Keep that battery alive !!!! and get a " Battery Tender" or at least ..start the bike every couple of weeks and let it run 5 ..min's or so .. < -- my ( 0.2 ) worth..
smile.gif

make that " Amps" in the second .. checking.. < i need to spell check prior to clicking .. " post " >
blush.gif

Back