1st time on the 1/8 mile with Suzi

I just got home from my local 1/8 mile track. I will say I am dissapointed in Ol Suzi this evening. :-( Just glad there were no BMW's there and whooped me that would have almost put Suzi out in the yard for the evening. LOL!
I am not new to dragracing and been racing motorcycles for over 20 yrs.
I have to say the Busa in its stock trim is one hell of a beast to get out of the hole. Ive launched GSXR750's VMAX's harder then this 09 Busa.
I dont plan on dragracing this bike so I am not looking for advice such as going 9inches over with a Shink 003 compound and strapping the front end down, I know all the tricks to get holeshots. I was just hoping for MPH didnt care about ET. MPH is HP.
Well I tried all different styles of launching, roll off of idle which sucked, launched at 3500-5500 TRYING to slip the clutch and that wasnt going to happen I hate hydraulic clutches:banghead: and I dont know what the Hayabusa slipper clutch is but its nearly impossible to slide or control its either on or its not no slip between.
I am 265 suited up in gear
Bike is bone stock and nothing is strapped down.
38PSI in the rear tire 42 in the front.
800FT above sea level with a temp of 86f and 81% humidity.
The track hooked good in the groove, She began to lift around 6500 RPMS past my comfort zone of toating 4-6 inches so I had to back up off the throttle to 3/4 to keep it under control and roll on soft for the 1st part of second to WOT. Maybe thats why my MPH wasnt what I was hoping for 116-118 MPH.:banghead:

ok7go1.jpg

FWIW,if you cant lock the throttle in 1st gear you wont be able to run a good E.T or MPH..there is alot left on the table if you have to cut gas or short shift to 2nd to fight a wheelie. Also,I know you said you werent looking for advice on the 60' BUT..a simple Brocks clutch mod(or even a weld-up) will transform your clutch&make it sooo much easier to control&modulate your launch..it makes the hydraulic clutch much easier to live with:thumbsup:

2 words. Clutch mods! There are way too many delays in the stock clutch setup.. Its to help with newbie riders roll off.

cant back off the throttle. gotta try to get WOT all the way through. I never lift in 2nd. but 1st is always tricky.

Ive heard of the brocks clutch mod. What exactly does it do? Will it allow me to have more clutch
control meaning a wider clutch throw to allow more slipping out of the hole?
I dont want to turn this bike into a street strip bike, i shouldnt have even went
but I wanted a mph Number since I cant get on a dyno before my pipe and ecu
edit.
Yes, i couldnt get wot. In first gear without going past the apex point and 2nd had to throttle shift
at 3/4 to prevent another front end lift. I guess on the street the tire is spinning a little cause it feels
perfect on the street perfect toat height floating. Its strong!
Posted via Mobile Device

Basically the clutch mod eliminates the back-torque limiting action from the factory. That is the pulsing/grabbing/crappy sensation you feel when slipping the clutch when you launch the bike. Its the first mod I did to my Gen2 (also 1st mod on my Gen1 as well)before a pipe,PC,tune,etc.
If you do this,trust me you wont regret it&you will be MUCH happier with your bike when you take it to the dragstrip

Thanks Oldgixxer, I knew the Hayabusa had some kind of different style clutch to prevent the
abrupt downshifts. Wasnt sure if it was the hydraulic clutch or what. When doing the clutch mod
does it effect anything during street riding? I dont plan on using the busa as a street strip bike
but I would like a better feel and control with the clutch for street take offs from preventing
wheel spin.
Yes mine will pick the front end up throttle shifting into 2nd when the gas tank is 1/4 and lower.
i got out of groove coming out of first and when I hit 2nd it blew the tire loose.
The good news is I whooped an SV1000, a stock gixxer 1000 and an R1, there was an 09 gixxer 1000
9.5 over on a 003 with the front slammed slip on and PC3 running 117 mph! 60ft 1.41's he was a small
Guy weighing about 135lbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

No,doing the clutch mod wont effect normal street riding..it will disable the back torque limiter so if you have a habit of going hot into a turn at high rpm's and then down shift a gear(or 2)the rear tire will have to ability to lock-up for a split second&that could cause a problem if you rely on that feature...if you've been riding for the last 20yrs or so like you said you wont have a problem since you know better not to do that lol

No,doing the clutch mod wont effect normal street riding..it will disable the back torque limiter so if you have a habit of going hot into a turn at high rpm's and then down shift a gear(or 2)the rear tire will have to ability to lock-up for a split second&that could cause a problem if you rely on that feature...if you've been riding for the last 20yrs or so like you said you wont have a problem since you know better not to do that lol

Yeah I am aware of the tire hops on aggressive downshifts. Thanks for the info.

Back