190/55 ?

amng04

Registered
Do I need to raise the rear an inch or can I get by with the stock height? I'm on the short side and raising the rear plus the taller tire might make it a little rough on me.

You should be just fine.

I don't know how much the tire will raise it but I can't imagine it being much more than about a quarter inch at the most.

Let us know what tires you get and if you get a smokin' deal or not.

Also, if you find that the 190's are too pricey, the 180/55's are usually more reasonable.

--Wag--

If your on the short side why do you want to raise the rear. You should lower the rear. I put 190-55-17s on for track days, makes it steer quicker, plus better grip with the 190-55s.:rofl:

That's what I thought. So would the 190/55 improve turn in compared to the 190/50 at stock height?

I ran a 190/55 and loved it busa felt 50lbs lighter, and changed direction with ease. I'm 5'9" and I didn't notice a change in the ride height
Posted via Mobile Device

im running 190/55 2ct's love them but are very peaky. Turning is now problem it just drops into the turns very quick and takes some getting use to. But thats why to go to the 55's anyway

I ran a 190/55 and loved it busa felt 50lbs lighter, and changed direction with ease. I'm 5'9" and I didn't notice a change in the ride height
Posted via Mobile Device

the change in ride height are only a few millimeters. Trackday and race guys notice it right off the bat, same with changing wheelbase (which going to a 55 and a gearing change may do, effectively lengthening or decreasing chain length). Even, sliding the forks up the triples 2 mm or raising the rear ride height 5 to 10 mm's is enough to drastically change feel, turn-in, swing arm angle, squat under acceleration, and stability (or slight lack of).

Put one on this last tire change, LOVE it. Turn in is, right now!,feels more nimble. It is a tall tire,my guess is up to 3/8 to 1/2 inch? Is visable just looking at the bikes side profile.Will affect the gearing a little.also is more narrow than a 190/50(- on poser points:laugh:) Only takes a ride, or three, to adjust.I will be running one from now on.:beerchug:
PS: if your not into the twisties may not be as worthwhile or benifical.:thumbsup:

Put one on this last tire change, LOVE it. Turn in is, right now!,feels more nimble. It is a tall tire,my guess is up to 3/8 to 1/2 inch? Is visable just looking at the bikes side profile.Will affect the gearing a little.also is more narrow than a 190/50(- on poser points:laugh:) Only takes a ride, or three, to adjust.I will be running one from now on.:beerchug:
PS: if your not into the twisties may not be as worthwhile or benifical.:thumbsup:

190/50 and a 190/55...

190=190mm they are the same width :laugh:

In my area of KY we don't have too many straight roads. Plus it looks like we are getting a track here in KY so I hope to do a few track days next year if the wife will let me. Here is a video taken from the VFRD rally this year just to show one of my favorite roads we have here in eastern KY. My friend and I (camera bike) was taking it easy since we were both 2 up. We ride this route often if anybody would be interested in going next year.

Tire width varies from company to company(tire to tire) and according to sidewall-50or55.As an example, the stock(gen1)busa 190/50 measures almost 200mm(198),should be considered a 200.I had a 200 dunlop(touring tire on my v-max) that was narrower than all 190's available.Was the only one that would clear the swing arm, by about 2mm :whistle:.Have tried many diff. brands and the width varies greatly.Profile of a tire(steep curvature, or flat, square style)changes the dimensions.The sidewall size effects the width and height of any given tire.:beerchug:

Just saw part of the video:thumbsup:, go to the 55 you will like it:laugh: It is definately no worse,can always go back to a 50 in the future. I also like a 120/65 up front,best of both worlds,front and back.I have a 120/60 Up front now(65 rubbed intercooler:whistle:)would prefer 65 but have to make concessions:laugh:.Would run a 65 instead of a 70 on a stock set-up if given the choice.Great turn in,feel,feedback! I run pirellis,also liked the qualifiers!IMHO :beerchug:

Nice video and a good pace for the street. I take it the camera bike is a twin so nice to hear the motor instead of music.

Back