190-50 and 190-55

Can some one give me an idea of how much this may affect my speedo and gearing between these tires? 190-50 and 190-55. Thank you

My last change was to a BTO16 190-55. First I did the math, then checked with my GPS and the speedo reads close to 3% slower at around 70mph.

On the street I really cannot tell the difference, apparently there is 1/32" less tread in the center compared to the 50, so mileage will be slightly less.

You asked about the gearing difference. I think it amounts to about 1/2 tooth difference on the rear sprocket

That will depend on where you have to set your chain slack. Rough calculation of the difference between the two sizes figures out for the 190/55 profile to be a little less than 10mm taller than the 190/50. That can (and will) vary from tire brand to tire brand.
So, as long as you have more than 10mm of clearance (which is less than 1/2", so I'm sure you do) between the tire and the front of the swingarm with a 190/50, the 190/55 should clear, no problems.

I have run 190/50 190/55 and 180/55 and like them all.....overall the 180 / 55 is my favourite.....it does everything I need and turns nice and tight...plus there are good deals on the prices..I can pick up a 180/55 rennsport of £80 fitted...no one wants older technology...! every one wants the lastest named stuff....I am no quicker than I was..so my old rennsports 180/55 suit me fine, can drag my old knees on the tatmac just fine too...and well planted on track....all the ebst to all....(andy g UK):laugh:

I have 2009 gen2 busa my bike use to pull like hell when i was running 17t front 43t rear with a 190 50 r 17 in rear.I upgraded to a 190 55r17 in the rear and raised the rear 1 inch for handleing she corners great but a bit slugish.So i put a 44t rear thinking it would be back the way she was but still not the same has anyone ran a 190 55 r17 and has the magic combo i would be very greatful!I just want her pulling hard love acelleration the top end as long as i can hit the 170 180 range is fine i want to beat alot of bikes off the line can anyone help thanks......

Wow, lets see where is everyone,,

The new tire to run is a 190/60/17

I'm new here as we'll I picked up a leftover 2011 white busa (white because its faster). Iv had turbo gsxrs in the past . So I picked up a set of power ones from eBay for 243 shipped they are 120/70 and 190/55 I'm concerned about the rear tire will the busa handel OK ? Or should I get a 190/50 rear tire ?

I'm new here as we'll I picked up a leftover 2011 white busa (white because its faster). Iv had turbo gsxrs in the past . So I picked up a set of power ones from eBay for 243 shipped they are 120/70 and 190/55 I'm concerned about the rear tire will the busa handel OK ? Or should I get a 190/50 rear tire ?

Welcome. 190/55 is fine. The bike will turn in faster but no really big change. I personally like the 190/50 but I run a +1' rise on the rear so that's double quicker turn in. Lots of people here run 190/55s with the +1 too, but they are better riders than I am.

Welcome. 190/55 is fine. The bike will turn in faster but no really big change. I personally like the 190/50 but I run a +1' rise on the rear so that's double quicker turn in. Lots of people here run 190/55s with the +1 too, but they are better riders than I am.

I run the +1 rear and a 55 and I'm not a better rider. I like the 55 for the better turn in. The +1 made the biggest difference to me when I ride 2up.

Guys with the 180/55 tires - how are you liking (or disliking) them?

Can you start a new thread since this talking about 190 50 and 190 55 difference

Dang yank, these long threads get a little to complicated for you or did you appoint yourself to the position of "Moderator"? Pretty bold to tell a guy who ask a question about tires in a tire thread to move along, eh?

Can you share with us what handling characteristics are changed with the addition of the 55 series tire?

Went to a 190/55 tyre (michelin pilot power 3) from a 190/50 M5.
Plain fantastic change. Contrary to common belief, you get the feeling of added stability all over, except maybe when you are totally vertical. In turns, its a different world, seems you can bank endlessly without running out of rubber.

190/50 never again....

interesting.......my OEM tyre is wearing quickly and wouldn't mind trying the 55 since my other bike has them and a touch of extra rear height won't hurt.

I had a B-king and did the 190/55 change...worked well and didn't wear any faster.

55 is just a rounder (taller profile). Better for top speed runs (adds 1-3 mph) I never really noticed any change in riding.

Back