190-50 and 190-55

My bike is stretched 6 inches and I was running a 50. Went to a 55 three months ago and instantly I could tell a HUGE difference in the way it handled. I mean I was able to whip this bike like never before. I love how it feels, but hate how it looks. I am chromed out and the back wheel is ugly to me now. I am putting a new 50 on this week. I live in DFW so its mostly highway for me anyway.

My bike is stretched 6 inches and I was running a 50. Went to a 55 three months ago and instantly I could tell a HUGE difference in the way it handled. I mean I was able to whip this bike like never before. I love how it feels, but hate how it looks. I am chromed out and the back wheel is ugly to me now. I am putting a new 50 on this week. I live in DFW so its mostly highway for me anyway.

I live in the dfw area as well :thumbsup:

hi guys, good to find this topic , cause I really want to put on my Busa an 190/55/17 rear tyre and there are a lot of opinions out there from guys that they don't own a Busa or even a sport bike . So for my understanding (I bought my Busa 2 months ago) there is no problem whatsoever in puting a 190/55/17 rear tyre .
I had an R1 for past 10 years and i only had rear tyres 190/55/17 and with Busa (a very different bike) i kind of feel it hard on corners and i was thinking that maybe it is also because of the rear tyre height is 50 instead of 55 so why not giving a try with an 190/55/17 ... also i feelbetter with Dunlop GP Racer Tyres and the new GP Racer D212 comes only one size in height and that's 55 .

hi guys, good to find this topic , cause I really want to put on my Busa an 190/55/17 rear tyre and there are a lot of opinions out there from guys that they don't own a Busa or even a sport bike . So for my understanding (I bought my Busa 2 months ago) there is no problem whatsoever in puting a 190/55/17 rear tyre .
I had an R1 for past 10 years and i only had rear tyres 190/55/17 and with Busa (a very different bike) i kind of feel it hard on corners and i was thinking that maybe it is also because of the rear tyre height is 50 instead of 55 so why not giving a try with an 190/55/17 ... also i feelbetter with Dunlop GP Racer Tyres and the new GP Racer D212 comes only one size in height and that's 55 .

You can do it. The only downside is what's been stated in this thread already: faster wearing of the tire's crown. A 55 will square off sooner than a 50, but that still means you get something like 4,000 mi (on my Dunlop Q3+) before the crown starts squaring off - more mileage than that if you stay away from long, straight (freeway) rides. Plenty of upsides - handling. Buy it! You should feel the difference (falling into a corner) with your first ride on the 55.

You can also read this - related:

You can do it. The only downside is what's been stated in this thread already: faster wearing of the tire's crown. A 55 will square off sooner than a 50, but that still means you get something like 4,000 mi (on my Dunlop Q3+) before the crown starts squaring off - more mileage than that if you stay away from long, straight (freeway) rides. Plenty of upsides - handling. Buy it! You should feel the difference (falling into a corner) with your first ride on the 55.

You can also read this - related:
Hi I am looking in to a 190/60/17.

I find a 190/55, 190/60 or 200/55 stay round (or at least shaped more like a new tire) longer for me. They stay high in the center longer than a 190/50. I do a lot of twisties so maybe I get a little more side wear than some busa owners.

A taller, pointier centered tire sure does make the bike tip in easier and I feel more confident on a larger contact patch. It's still such a big bike, it's never going to handle like your R1, I'm sure. It sure feels excellent in a corner for how big of a bike it is though. On the street, I use slicks designed for cold tracks and no tire warmers. Zero problems. The rubber will roll up the edges on a hot day and I've never experienced a cold tear. Of course, I'm careful to warm them up before cornering hard and I avoid rain and dusty conditions.

Back