06 busa won't start up, new battery

Dropping to 6 or 7 volts while starting ? There's a battery problem there. Maybe yur battery is to small? Not enough cranking amps?

At first that's what I thought cause I got it at walmart, so I went to cycle gear and got the oem replacement, no go, then I upgraded to the heavy duty version, still same. Drove it last night when I tested voltage. This morning, fired right up, voltage stays at 12 during firing right now

Might sound random, but do you have a power commander in it? Mine slow cranked till it killed the batter when the pc was in, starts right up with it out. I don't know why.

At first that's what I thought cause I got it at walmart, so I went to cycle gear and got the oem replacement, no go, then I upgraded to the heavy duty version, still same. Drove it last night when I tested voltage. This morning, fired right up, voltage stays at 12 during firing right now
12v whilst cranking is a good strong battery....can it do it 5 or 6 times , if so then the battery and starter are fine.
But as asked....whats the voltage when the engines running.....1..at idle and 2..above 4000 revs....what you want to see is around 13.5 @ idle and 14.2 or a bit more at higher revs....if it goes over 15v or doesnt get to 13v then your in for a charging system inspection/change

sorry for the delay guys, I was busy with the pushrod seal replacement....got it in without splitting the case!! Took about 4 hours, mainly cleaning out the gunk that the previous owner used with hondabond. The guy have replaced the seal, but used a different one with no metal insert and glued the hell out of it, as seen in the pictures. I dremeled down lip, little at a time til it was just a smidge smaller than the new seal. I used a deep socket that was slightly smaller than the seal, greased it a bit with gasket maker and wedged it in. feels really snug all the way around. I added a thin layer of hondabond on the outter lip just in case. Putting it back together tomorrow to see check it out. I'll let you guys know.

As for the charging system, I added an additional ground to the frame from the battery, added a thicker gauge wire to the starter solenoid and from solenoid to starter, and grounded out the starter directly to the frame. I won't know if any of that helped until I get the bike fired up again this Friday.

Don't be surprised if the seal comes out. I wldnt have cut the metal out on the cases.

I was really apprehensive on doing it. I saw a post using this approach and he reported it 5000 miles in, still holding. the cheapest quote I got was $2500 at a shop around here. I just paid $4700 for the bike 3 weeks ago so I wasn't about to drop an additional lump sum...I couldn't. :11doh: I am worried about it but since, from what I heard, it's not under extreme pressure and it went in very tight so I'm hoping for the best. I may add an additional sealant around to reinforce it.

I was thinking maybe take a punch or something and knurl the metal on the cases at the edge of the seal.
To bad your not in my area I woulda done it for $700ish

I'm having same exact problem with my 06 busa. Have you figured it out yet? my battery and rectifer are good. along with starter too

Back