06 busa won't start up, new battery

Jdavila661

Registered
Hey guys, I just got an 06 busa, and I've tried 4 new batteries on it already, bike fires up initially, but after a short ride, it won't fire up, acts like battery low. Weird thing is though, if it sits for over an hour or so, it'll start right up. So it's not draining the battery, not sure what's up. Previous owner said he replace stater and rectifier recently. I'm stuck, appreciate any help

Sounds like a bad starter. Check you
cables and connections to the starter.

Guy said he recently replaced that as we'll, I'm checking the connections now, am I looking to see if they're loose?

They need to be clean and tight. Check
your battery voltage...check it with the
engine off, and while cranking a cold engine
and when it won't start after a ride.

If all the cables and connections are good, you might need to check the starter motor.

was it a new starter that the previous owner fitted.
Drain the tank and see how many cranks the battery can give...don't crank for more than 5 seconds at a time and allow 10-15 secs between crank attempts.
If it gets past 5 sets...stop...the battery / starter circutry are fine.....what can happen is the cable to the starter can break down with sustained heat from the engine.
Try replacing the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter with a good heavy gauge cable and then fit a proper ground cable to the starter rather than relying on the mounting bolt alone.

Ok thanks, going to replace the cable for the starter, seems to work fine when it's cool because I can fire it on repeatedly, tried 3 times in row right now and it was good. It's weird that it won't do it again after a ride.

I'll also ground the starter and report my findings

It sounds like you have a bad connection in the starter circuit. As things warm up (and exapand), that connection gets worse. As the bike cools down (and things shrink) it improves. A typical behavior of poor connection.

Here is an easy trick to find out where is the bad connection. Touch battery terminal to make sure they are cool or barely warm (or any other part of the circuit you might suspect). Crank the bike for a few seconds, touch again. See if you clearly feel that the spot which was cool or barely warm just a moment ago got hot or very warm. If you found it - that's your problem. A dirty battery/cable terminal would do that. I fixed a buddy's connection with exactly your symptoms. He was going crazy with it. His was dirty and not tightened. All I did was cleaned with sandpaper (200-300 grit would be perfect), and tightened well. Worked like a charm.

The starter draws about 80-100 Amps, which means the effective resistance of the starter is 12V/100Amps = 0.12 Ohm. If you have a poor connection which introduces only 0.1 Ohm, then the combined effective resistance would be 0.12 + 0.1 = 0.22 Ohm. So, the starter current would be 12V/0.22Ohm = 54 Ams, which is not enough to crank the bike effectively, or at the least is borderline. Poor connection would absorb 0.1 Ohm x 54 Ams = 5 Watt over a very small area with poor connection, hence a very noticeable amount of heat.

No, a jump doesn't do it after it's been run, I can push start it, which is what I have been doing.... I'm going to look for a bad connection, do I check the ohms at the starter?

You can't check with a tester. Even a decent tester won't reliably show 0.1 Ohm or less. If you have a really good one, it may be possible. You can visually inspect, and scrape/clean/tighten. If jump start didn't work, I would suspect bad starter cable or poor connection closer to the starter, but not at the battery.

Don't over think, it's usually something obvious and simple. Try the trick I mentioned. Remove the plastics if you have to. It's really easy. Warm up the bike. Shut if off. And try every suspected place - one at a time. Don't forget the wires/cables. You could have a bent cable with poor connection right in the middle.

Poor connection always produces heat in high current applications. That's how a lot of house fires start. Ever touched a plug of window AC unit, or electrical heater - often times they are warm/hot for this exact reason.

First check you battery voltage while cranking...eliminate that
first...if the battery is good. The check cables and connections.

was it a new starter that the previous owner fitted.
the battery / starter circutry are fine.....what can happen is the cable to the starter can break down with sustained heat from the engine.
Try replacing the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter with a good heavy gauge cable and then fit a proper ground cable to the starter rather than relying on the mounting bolt alone.

I grounded out the starter directly to the frame and ran a 4 gauge wire to the starter from the solenoid. I have to wait to test it because as I was taking the bike apart, I decided to investigate a leak that I've been having on it as well. Well, now it's a big leak. Seems the seal that the clutch rod goes through into the bike is cracked. Anyone ever replace this before?? I just ordered this seal online from bike bandit.

Back