03 stalls & cracks

nOcRY

Registered
gotta coupla gripes with my newish (2000 mi) 03:

1) it stalls/dies (even when hot) when I throttle off

2) the surface of the rear wheel (left side) has accumulated cracks ( can't tell how deep) around the circumference of the inner area where it mounts to the bike.

any ideas or similar sitches? thanks

1) Check and make sure the idle isn't killing it when you chop the throttle.  What does it idle at?

If that doesn't work, I would check the fuel filter!  

2) Is the wheel cracked or is it just the paint on the wheel?

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078775350 -->

i can solve the stalling problem by running with the choke/enrichener at 1/2 way open (don't know if this is a good idea) & the wheel cracking seems to be cosmetic - just wondered if this was common

1) From the way it sounds, you just need to crank up your idle speed a tad! That would do the same as leaving your choke on just a hair!

2) If it's paint only have you had the tire replaced lately? If not I would make sure it isn't cracked. If it is take it to the dealer and have it warrantied. If it is only cosmetic it's no big deal. Just check it once in a while and make sure it isn't getting worse. If the paint starts popping off, I would see if the dealer will cover it.

Josh

cool.gif

thanks josh. i'm due for an oil change in a little less than 1000, so i'll be taking it in to the dealer at the end of the month

already did a few: yosh slips, k&n, frame sliders, top gun tail, zg db screen.

next round to incl. carbon fibre front fender, mototek clear turn lenses, braided lines & better pads

Nice!
biggrin.gif

I would check into the Carbon Fiber front fender before you dish out big bucks for one. I have heard from a few people that they crack pretty easy.

Let me know what braided lines & pads you decide on, I'm still researching them for mine.
wink.gif

1) my 03 died all the time. idle was too low AND works itself low over and over without locking the bolt. set your idle a lil higher than recommended
2) yes, it's normal and not a problem at all. just lick it clean

i can solve the stalling problem by running with the choke/enrichener at 1/2 way open (don't know if this is a good idea) & the wheel cracking seems to be cosmetic - just wondered if this was common
it is not a choke all it does is move you throttle open so yes your Idle is too low. and the crack are casting marks nothing more

muy bueno, cheese, didn't want to lose the rear wheel at hyper speed. back to violating the laws of the land with abandon

Do all or most of the '03's have this 'dying' problem? I saw an ad for an '03 near me that was very reasonalbly priced and planned to look at it this weekend. Maybe I will buy it. I have a '99 now and it does not die like that. Should I stay away from the '03 model? I want a second busa. Yes, I know it sounds nuts. Should I be looking at the other years instead of the '03?

I feel the only problem is the idle set below standard from the factory. After setting the idle back up to spec [or above] I've had ZERO problems with my 03 dieing. But make sure you allow PROPER warmup time before riding this amazing super race-ready machine.

Do all or most of the '03's have this 'dying' problem?  I saw an ad for an '03 near me that was very reasonalbly priced and planned to look at it this weekend. Maybe I will buy it. I have a '99 now and it does not die like that.  Should I stay away from the '03 model?  I want a second busa.  Yes, I know it sounds nuts.  Should I be looking at the other years instead of the '03?
they die beacause the KIDS in shop now days don't feel like pulling the tank up and settting the throttle. the 99-00 had the cable by the clutch they other are on the TB's

is it safe to assume that there's an idle adj screw under the tank that i can reach and play with to set it higher myself? and that i should prolly warm 'er up before adjusting?

D'ya think it will solve the problem or am i running a little too lean? (in 2k mi, i've backfired once when throttling off & dropping a gear)

btw - got yosh rs3 slips and remapped on install.

thanks!

Back