‘they are becoming very dated as street bikes’ ?

There is currently a conversation on another forum and is about buying X year bike or newer, because the older one didn’t have ABS. You would be surprised how many people won’t even touch this or that bike, because it doesn’t have traction control, ABS or a cruise control. All that might be superfluous to you, but there is a crowd out there, much bigger than the small racing groups, that want all that. I don’t know it all, but I doubt Suzuki gives a damn about the small group of busas (relatively speaking) that fly down a track with a $80k dollars worth of “non-Suzuki” parts added to them.
Don’t they still have involvement in Pro Stock or do people put different stickers on them now?

Thread revival......

When the Busa is banned from new sales in many countries due to failing to meet emission standards 2 years a go, and you can ride a brand new bike out of a showroom with.....

2 way quick shifter,
Proper electronic cruise control,
Key matched Factory luggage ,
220+Hp with a quiet legal pipe and no mechanical mods,
Smart ABS,
Decent quality paint,
traction control / launch control,
Shift light,
Full colour dash,
4 programmable riding modes with multiple options,
Adjustable boost levels,
Factory USB plug, factory angled tyre valves etc etc etc....

You can clutch at straws that you can make a Busa faster in a straight line with enough mods, but a modern bike it isn’t.

Busa’s rule the drag strips and dyno’s,
but that’s not the do all and be all of motorcycling for everyone.

Bring on the Gen-3 and a new class leading Suzuki.
Please!

Thread revival......

When the Busa is banned from new sales in many countries due to failing to meet emission standards 2 years a go, and you can ride a brand new bike out of a showroom with.....

2 way quick shifter,
Proper electronic cruise control,
Key matched Factory luggage ,
220+Hp with a quiet legal pipe and no mechanical mods,
Smart ABS,
Decent quality paint,
traction control / launch control,
Shift light,
Full colour dash,
4 programmable riding modes with multiple options,
Adjustable boost levels,
Factory USB plug, factory angled tyre valves etc etc etc....

You can clutch at straws that you can make a Busa faster in a straight line with enough mods, but a modern bike it isn’t.

Busa’s rule the drag strips and dyno’s,
but that’s not the do all and be all of motorcycling for everyone.

Bring on the Gen-3 and a new class leading Suzuki.
Please!
Dam tell us how you really feel. Are you referring to the Ninja H2 SXE ?

Dam tell us how you really feel. Are you referring to the Ninja H2 SXE ?

The SE isn’t even a current model, there’s a new higher tech SE+ version on sale that’s above the specs I quoted. Lots of the SE and SE+’s tech is crossing over to other models too.
Kawasaki realised there are markets for various specs of the same bike too.
Not everyone wants to pay for every extra.
Not everyone wants a bare bones model to try and improve.

I’m a huge Suzuki fan, I have 8 and I’m looking at others,
I’m just sad Suzuki are so far behind the market.

I want my next bike to me a Suzuki.

Haha guess I am getting old, of my 4 bikes, 2002 is the newest! Like it was said, what do you expect? A self riding bike? Twist the throttle-GO, pull the brake lever-STOP, toe up-SHIFT UP, toe down-SHIFT DOWN. Lean left-TURN LEFT, Lean right-TURN RIGHT......... I am good! Hayabusa=Go fast, Harley=Low and Slow, TW200=Go anywhere.... I am good!

Ohh and I would put my 20 year old Hayabusa against any squid on his new 600 in the mountains any day!

I find the biggest difference between old and new bikes is that on a old bike if you want to kill yourself it will let you. New bikes are built to prevent that. Even when Gen 3 comes out I'm keeping my Gen 2. Keeps me sharp.

I have an 80’s air cooled GSX.
I have a oil cooled 90’s GSXR.
The technology argument needs a bit pinch of salt.

Is a fuel injected, watercooled, alloy framed, USD forked Busa over complicated and too easy to ride compared to its predecessors ?

Do you think that a few electronic aids that can almost all be turned off, ruin a 220hp streetbike? No way is a modern bike any less rewarding to ride than a 10 or 12 year old one.

The GEN 1 & 2 Busa will always have their place with us , but we all know the next model will be something different . It will have to be , to compete successfully in the current worldwide market place , to squarely take on the might of Kawasaki etc. .
Now that Suzuki is playing catch up , I think we can expect something pretty hi tech , featuring all that tech that some feel the older Gens didn't need , and didn't have anyway . We would expect , that it will still be something special , though whether it appeals to all targeted markets including current Busa owners is all conjecture , as is always everything concerning talk of Gen 3 . We will eventually see , and then we can and will decide .

I'm on the fence, one side of me says, Suzuki will cone to the table loaded for bear and looking for street dominance to compete with Kawasaki (their only real rival). What a Gen 3 will be is to be decided-supercharged? big bore? hard to say. Suzuki isn't known for multiple platforms like what Kawasaki is doing with the H2 line although they are trying slightly with the GSXF line.

The other side of me says, Suzuki sees no market for a hyper bike anymore and will kill off the idea of a Gen 3. Suzuki seems to not really go with the flow, they have no big tourer or sport touring platform even though that has proven to be a big seller for other companies (FJR, C14, ST, Gold Wing, etc). If Kawasaki ever announces the ZX14R is finished in their line up the Hayabusa will die with it.

Another point I find interesting is a 20+ yr old design such as the Hayabusa is still the bench mark for other companies to compete with and surpass. IF Suzuki decides to get into the competition again, it will come out swinging and the other companies will be left trying to catch up. There were rumors of Honda revisiting the Black Bird line but I've seen nothing in reality so they may have dropped the idea.

Guaranteed, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and BMW all had/have a Hayabusa in their testing grounds and know exactly what they need to take it down. Suzuki will have an H2 and ZX14 in theirs and through testing will know what it takes to dominate these platform.

I have an 80’s air cooled GSX.
I have a oil cooled 90’s GSXR.
The technology argument needs a bit pinch of salt.

Is a fuel injected, watercooled, alloy framed, USD forked Busa over complicated and too easy to ride compared to its predecessors ?

Do you think that a few electronic aids that can almost all be turned off, ruin a 220hp streetbike? No way is a modern bike any less rewarding to ride than a 10 or 12 year old one.
Pics of the oldies?

suzuki has always held on to old designs a little to long, they also always come out with a real ball buster when they feel the time is right. I don’t think that the whole sport bike thing is as big as it was years ago but that’s just my observation. No riding bicycles without a helmet, no riding in The box’s of pickups, and not as much riding of motorcycles.

One thing I do accept is the markets have changed.

Big bore bikes just aren’t a priority, maybe due to emissions, maybe due to fashion.

In the past you had the choice of Blackbirds, ZZR11’s, FJ11/12’s, Busa etc, and if you wanted a naked bike CB1000/13, GSX14, ZRX, XJR, Bandit 12/1250 etc.

The choice of big bore bikes has been seriously reduced unless you want a Paris/Dakar style or a big lazy cruiser.

The US and AU get the last of the Busa’s and there the ZX14R but the choice of big (performance focused) Jap in-line 4’s, Naked or Faired is very limited and doesn’t seem to be any manufacturers priority.

Back