Mirror slappers & finger flippers…

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
and redlining their motors. Watching a few YouTube films of riders I can’t understand why riders do these things and then ride off at speed. First, WTH good does it do to rev their motors to the limiter? Do they think it’s a warning sound like a horn? It isn’t. I see a rider doing three times the speed limit pass a car on the right that turned in front of them and slap their mirror and or rev their motor to the limiter and ride away flipping off the driver. WTH? What good does any of that do? I see riders passing on the right and get mad that a driver is turning in front of them. Of course the driver isn’t expecting anyone to be passing on their right and so, doesn’t look but the rider takes offense that he wasn’t seen. Again, WTH? I am happy that none of these videos show a Hayabusa rider doing these things. Do these riders think they’re special in some way? All I see as a result of the rider’s actions is cowardice on the part of the rider and a pissed off and confused driver who once again, has a bad opinion of and experience with a motorcyclist. Of course drivers need to pay better attention to their surroundings but in many many cases the rider is at fault.

There are many, many You Tube videos out there which depict crazy driving and riding....it's a wonder some of these people actually survive to make more than one video.....

Some of these people using public streets as their own personal racetrack will only end one way eventually....karma can catch up with them.

I have broken several mirrors in my riding. Usually when I’m riding the speed limit and they are on their phones and decide they want to be in my lane and I should just die. Those get broken mirrors. If it was up to me I would shoot them in the face and drive off. But they frown on that.

I never understood the revving of the bike. I hate when Harley idiots do it at lights. It just tells me you are a moron. Like the south park episode.

I have broken several mirrors in my riding. Usually when I’m riding the speed limit and they are on their phones and decide they want to be in my lane and I should just die. Those get broken mirrors. If it was up to me I would shoot them in the face and drive off. But they frown on that.

I never understood the revving of the bike. I hate when Harley idiots do it at lights. It just tells me you are a moron. Like the south park episode.
I get a kick out of my older brother, as he has aged, his filters get less and he will tell his HD riding friends (or any HD rider) that they must have some real issues with their fuel injection system as they are always revving them at stop signs and such...

Now in the old days you had to rev them to keep them running at idle due to many of the carbs not adjusted properly, even the older British bikes had this issue....but not anymore, now these guys just want to make noise.

The revving of the bike is exactly what @WuzzaCBXRider said it isn't. It's done to get the attention of the driver who obviously didn't see or hear the bike they just tried to hit and the dinky horns most sportbikes have can't hardly be heard so that does no good. I've had a lot of instances of me riding the speed limit and out of people's blind spots and such and them be on their phone or just not paying attention and try to come into my lane and the only thing that got their attention was me revving the bike. When I'm at the point that a mirror is getting broken I'll use revving the bike as my horn to get their attention and let them know they need to look where they're going. I ride with a few guys that like to try and blame the cagers for things that were their fault and wanna break mirrors or such and I'm usually the one to point out why they shouldn't and try to calm the situation down. But when they aren't doing anything wrong and someone decides they want to brake check us out are on their phone coming into our lane then I'm all for it negate if they aren't gonna use the mirrors why have them. As far as the taking off at speed afterwards is usually too keep from someone being a plate number or to keep from having the cager try to hit you again. Not everyone gets to have nice mountain roads outside their front door to ride on and some of us have no choice but to ride in the city with a lot of traffic and that's a level of danger that will quickly let a riders rage come out after a close call.

First ride I took on my old 1397 I was in the passing lane behind a car maybe doing 75ish when the guy in the driving lane who was intently staring at his phone came into my lane and I had no choice but to go in the grass. Where I was had the metal wire median. At the section where I went into the grass I had about 15 feet before I hit the wire so I was able to slow to a point I could control the bike and ride out of it. If there wasn’t the 15 feet the wire is usually 3-4 feet and I would have likely died. Needless to say when I caught up to him he lost a mirror. He was lucky that day. So was I.

Majority of my riding is city or highway. I laugh at the guys revving new Harley’s. It’s hilarious to me. My 1987 however does require some light throttle but it has stock pipes and sounds like a moped. Lol

We are all ambassadors for the general public as we ride around on our motorcycles. I see a number of riders that have no regard for other drivers when splitting lanes as we do often out here in California. I often times see lane splitters going way to fast and risking their life just to save a little time. I see its mostly the Harley Riders revving their engines when enough space between cars isn't available for them to drive through between lanes. I have seen the middle finger gestures and obsessive hand shaking and I just think to myself... this guy needs to chill out and stop driving agressively. Even when I have been run out of my lane by a lane changing driver that didn't see me I drive on as if nothing happened. Why? Because nothing did happen, why? Because I had an out as you should always have as much of the time as you possibly can.

Its almost pointless try to express yourself to a person that made a driving error. Most of here have made driving errors in our driving lives and got lucky for any number of reasons, but one of them could have been, the other guy was prepared to accommodate your driving error.

You can't teach people new driving habits, can you? Yes, it might make you feel better to rid yourself of pent up anger that feels good to release, but, it doesn't change anything except your level of anger.

As far as startling people with loud revving exhaust pipes it is a sure way to have regular drivers form low opinions of motorcyclist.

I don't know what happened on the street where a friend of mine lives that I have been riding with for close to 20 years but here it is. About all I know so far is a guy on a Busa was severely injured right outside my friends bathroom window Saturday morning. That is the point where he came to a rest. My friend has seen him and heard him drive by many times doing well over 100 mph in recent weeks. The road in this area is about 70 ft wide so many people that use it drive on it likes it a race track. About 6 or 7 months ago my friends dog got out and somebody ran over his dog and kept going on this road. Some days my friend said it was twice a day occurance to hear this Busa go by his house. Once in the morning and again in the afternoon around the same time of day. My friend took pictures of the bike when it was being dragged up on the flatbed and looking like it was totaled. That exact spot where the bike stopped was well over 100 feet from the spot on the road where they found the driver. The exact spot was obvious because the Fire dept used some cleaning agent to clean the road from the blood that was lost by the rider after paramedics left the scene. I haven't heard who it was by name and I don't know if he survived.
The police came to my friends door and asked if he knew anything. He responded with the information I just spoke about and didn't hear or see the crash His daughter heard the crash but didn't go outside to investigate.

I’ve picked up body parts from bike accidents, several bodies wrapped around guard rails and many many lucky to be alive with severe road rash. Most were on Harleys believe it or not. Most time speed was a factor, along with turns.

My next purchase is an airbag vest, and a 6D helmet. With my damaged brain I need all the help I can get.

on topic, I think no matter what we ride like there will always be those who hate us. There are way too many younger kids riding who ride like absolute morons until they get bit. There are also the stunt riders, and dirt bikes riders on public roads. Until that changes we are all lumped into the same group. IMHO.

My next purchase is an airbag vest, and a 6D helmet. With my damaged brain I need all the help I can get.

on topic, I think no matter what we ride like there will always be those who hate us. There are way too many younger kids riding who ride like absolute morons until they get bit. There are also the stunt riders, and dirt bikes riders on public roads. Until that changes we are all lumped into the same group. IMHO.
Yes... but with the exception of those that ride motorcycles themselves. Even that crowd will have biases that match the spectrum of opinions of car drivers about what is the responsible way to ride as compared to how others ride irresponcibly.

6D helmet? I am brain damaged to... ask anybody here... they know too! Gonna have to investigate 6D helmet technology... is it a carry over from high quality football helmets?

Yes... but with the exception of those that ride motorcycles themselves. Even that crowd will have biases that match the spectrum of opinions of car drivers about what is the responsible way to ride as compared to how others ride irresponcibly.

6D helmet? I am brain damaged to... ask anybody here... they know too! Gonna have to investigate 6D helmet technology... is it a carry over from high quality football helmets?
Yes. They developed the technology that the NFL uses. It is the only helmet that has tech to help with some types of damage. As I know from previous accidents, the current helmets with foam do nearly nothing to help with concussions. Check them out.

Back