Why we ride. A Pashnit Tour.

Suddenly snapped out of our funk, the road beckoned.

IMG_0037.jpg

After a while we stopped for some water, and the other Tim realized that he left the oven on. This would be the third time that his house would be reduced to cinders while running a tour. As you can see, he's developed a sense of humor about the whole thing.

IMG_0085.jpg

Almost forgot - this is a nice little lake tucked in to the mountains by Mt. Tam..

Mount_Tam_E.jpg

Started the journey north up Hwy. 1. Mostly cloudy on the way up, but the sun finally broke through and made you realize why you put up with holiday traffic...

PCH_A.jpg

Why is this man smiling? I'll tell you why - you see that road off to the right? It the start of 22 or so miles of insanely great pavement. The kind of pavement that makes you realize that CalTrans must be smoking some of that mythical NorCal greenery, since no man with all of his bearings could possibly design a roadway so fantastic. Simply put - ridden correctly, it's one of the best rollercoasters North America has to offer. No **it.

IMG_0105.jpg

Steve, at the gas station after the rollercoaster. You can't see it in the photo, but just to Steve's right was some white-dreadlock guy swinging around one of those ball-on-a-rope weapon things. We heard banjos in the distance, and decided to get out of there.

IMG_0113.jpg

Half the group decided to slab it to the hotel, while the other half took a goat trail out to the "Lost Coast".

IMG_0131.jpg

It was a 50 mile drive out to the coast. The sun was going down, we were racing time and weren't quite sure where we were....then we turned a corner and this smacked us back into reality.

Mattole_Road_D.jpg

One of the highlights of a Pashnit tour is getting to witness Tim's extraordinary sense of balance. Little does he know it, but there's a growing pool of over/under bets on when "the big fall" is going to happen. One day, one of us will be insanely rich and have a mansion and a yacht.

IMG_0148.jpg

The rest of the group, patiently waiting for me to set the f-stop, shutter speed etc. Finally they started pelting me with small rocks, and it was time to go. The rest of this day was a long windy and foggy ride back, followed by lots of beer.

IMG_0162.jpg

Back