Wife is looking at a new SUV-

Bill , my wife really likes the Lexus ~ over that $mall Tucson SUV *
Lexus Rx Wow GIF by Namaste Car

I drove a full-size Bronco loaner for 3 weeks and it was pretty good. My wife was considering one but opted for another Subaru Outback. BTW, the Subaru is a pretty solid car too. The Bronco was cool but it is a utility vehicle and even the street variants ride on a utility chassis. That said they are solid, but not plush like some SUVs built on road-only chassis. My Ford dealer gives a lifetime engine and drive chain warranty so that's amazing. It was a big factor in buying my F-150.

On the other hand, I have been pretty impressed with the stuff from Hyundai. I don't have any long-term experience with them but everything I read is great and the owner experience polls are exceptional. I tested several Hyundai and Kia models when my wife was looking and they don't feel "cheap."

To me, the Bronco feels utilitarian, which is exactly what it is. That's great for hauling the labs or going to the range, but maybe not so much for going to get the nails done. Also, it was a chore for my wife to get into the Bronco, she's 5'-4" tall. Also the back is open so no real trunk/package compartment.

So for me, it would be the Bronco. For her maybe something a bit more civilized. Despite its reputation as an active sports vehicle, the Subaru fits nicely.

I drove a full-size Bronco loaner for 3 weeks and it was pretty good. My wife was considering one but opted for another Subaru Outback. BTW, the Subaru is a pretty solid car too. The Bronco was cool but it is a utility vehicle and even the street variants ride on a utility chassis. That said they are solid, but not plush like some SUVs built on road-only chassis. My Ford dealer gives a lifetime engine and drive chain warranty so that's amazing. It was a big factor in buying my F-150.

On the other hand, I have been pretty impressed with the stuff from Hyundai. I don't have any long-term experience with them but everything I read is great and the owner experience polls are exceptional. I tested several Hyundai and Kia models when my wife was looking and they don't feel "cheap."

To me, the Bronco feels utilitarian, which is exactly what it is. That's great for hauling the labs or going to the range, but maybe not so much for going to get the nails done. Also, it was a chore for my wife to get into the Bronco, she's 5'-4" tall. Also the back is open so no real trunk/package compartment.

So for me, it would be the Bronco. For her maybe something a bit more civilized. Despite its reputation as an active sports vehicle, the Subaru fits nicely.
We both like the Subaru as well but the nearest dealership is almost 2 hrs away so that is out....we don't relish a 4 hr round trip voyage for servicing...

We both like the Subaru as well but the nearest dealership is almost 2 hrs away so that is out....we don't relish a 4 hr round trip voyage for servicing...
Hi. I will never buy anything car or truck new. I got my Honda Civic for free and my Dodge pick up for free. As my Honda has been hit 6 times in 4 yrs 2 times in the rear once on each side people pulling in to a parking space 2 times on the right fender one tried to run I had to chase then down. So the car has made me over $ 2,000.00. I meter got any money for the 2 in the back or the ones on each side. I do oil every 3,000 miles and trans every 40,000.

Look at the rear end crash results on the big Broncos...they crush and don't look very survivable.
I like them, but that was a big let down.
My girlfriend bought a new Escape in 2020, and it was pretty good car, no complaints other than uncomfortable seats.
She traded it about 6 months ago for a new Toyota Rav-4, and could not be happier with it.
She was giving up on finding a Rav-4 too, but thankyou God, she happened to call a dealer about an hour away, and they said, 'yes, we do have one, a non-hybrid a black one with a sunroof(exactly what she wanted). Someone had ordered it with a deposit, then couldn't finance it once it showed up, so my gf said 'I'm on the way now!' and we went and got it...for sticker price too, no markup!

Screenshot_20230525-204733_Gallery.jpg

Look at the rear end crash results on the big Broncos...they crush and don't look very survivable.
I like them, but that was a big let down.
My girlfriend bought a new Escape in 2020, and it was pretty good car, no complaints other than uncomfortable seats.
She traded it about 6 months ago for a new Toyota Rav-4, and could not be happier with it.
She was giving up on finding a Rav-4 too, but thankyou God, she happened to call a dealer about an hour away, and they said, 'yes, we do have one, a non-hybrid a black one with a sunroof(exactly what she wanted). Someone had ordered it with a deposit, then couldn't finance it once it showed up, so my gf said 'I'm on the way now!' and we went and got it...for sticker price too, no markup!

View attachment 1672513
They could hold floor hockey tournaments in the Toyota dealership parking lot here, they have three vehicles in it....

I guess it got so bad for them that they were buying vehicles from auction so they could put something in their lot...

I've read all good reviews for the Hyundai models she's looking at (Tucson and Santa Fe) and they have the best warranty of all the ones we've looked at so far.

Hard to break her of her Ford habit though...

I know how she feels ! I'm a Ford guy too LOL.
PS Blaney Won the Nascar Championship yesterday driving a Ford so they can't be all that bad.

I know how she feels ! I'm a Ford guy too LOL.
PS Blaney Won the Nascar Championship yesterday driving a Ford so they can't be all that bad.
I was a Ford guy having 4 F-150s back to back...then I switched to Ram pretty much only because I wasn't a fan of the early aluminum F-150s...if I had my time back, I would most likely get a Tremor as I like that package....a lot....

At one time I had an F-150, the wife a Focus, our younger son an SVT Contour and our older son a Focus hatchback...we were an entirely Ford family.....I even had a Ford lawn tractor and chainsaw....

What do you base this on? JD Power has them way up on the ladder. That’s a nation wide consensus. many safety recalls
hyundai recalls (1 of many) telling u to park outside a garage (nhsta) due to vehicle fires. insurance companies dropping kia/hyundai bc they are so easy to steal (all national news). so easy in fact their was a tiktok challenge showing how easy u can steal them. spun rod bearing recall a few years ago where they had to fix a bunch of engines. ever opened a used kia/hyundai engine?

spun rod bearing recall a few years ago where they had to fix a bunch of engines. ever opened a used kia/hyundai engine?
Yes more than one; I just retired from 45 years in the automotive business. That's how I was able to advise Bee that the latest Hyundai product is much improved. There's a reason they are stolen so much, they're desireable, but of point, the ones that were being stolen were the turn key ignition vehicles through 2019, not the passive push button start the new ones employ. Kia/Hyundai is still paying for putting out a less than excellent producy a few years back but the current product is admirable. As Bee mentioned his wife is buying new, I advised accordingly.

SUV's are such a huge market. Even Ferrari has one on the way. Old school station wagons are nearly gone. And now we have a funky cross-over field. I'll bet with those three styles, you have 25+ vehicles to choose from. A daunting task.

When my company took away our SUV's for AWD station wagons a few years ago I was not pleased. But after a 100k miles I will begrudgingly say that it goes places I had no business going (snow). Carries a bunch of stuff and gets decent mileage.

Good luck!

Lol my first driver was a ‘64 Impala wagon. It had a big block, three on the tree and I had a beach towel covering up a torn front seat. It was quite the barge lol.

I was a Ford guy having 4 F-150s back to back...then I switched to Ram pretty much only because I wasn't a fan of the early aluminum F-150s...if I had my time back, I would most likely get a Tremor as I like that package....a lot....

At one time I had an F-150, the wife a Focus, our younger son an SVT Contour and our older son a Focus hatchback...we were an entirely Ford family.....I even had a Ford lawn tractor and chainsaw....
You got me beat with that Ford Tractor and Chainsaw LOL. I got 2 Escapes, Thunderbird, Taurus, F150 and a Falcon sitting outside.
I don't know if this counts as a Ford motorcycle ? LOL.

P1040048_zpse45fae6b.jpg

Buddy of mine with a brand new Subaru went inside a store and left the motor running with AC, as he had two dogs in the vehicle. Caught on fire, he saved the dogs, could not save his or the vehicle parked next to his.

Eat your heart out Bee, it wasn’t an EV

Back