Caps quick thoughts on Gen 3

I like it. I'm not sure, at that price, that I'm ready to trade my Gen2 for a new one though - and I think that's a good question Zuk should ask itself - "Did we build a bike that will compel previous owners to sell they one they currently have?"- and if that answer is no, then they needed to do better.

What I wonder is what kind of performance can it get via a full exhaust/tune etc. Remember folks, EURO4 killed the Gen2, and Even building a bike this size that would pass EURO5 at one time was said to be not worth it.

I will say I REALLY like the QS on my S1000RR, and if you can flip it for GP Shift, even better. And cruise will really help on those long interstate rides.

I'm not ready to by one, but I am ready to buy TwoBrother's when he gets one :)

Okay so lets work through this... What goal post?
  1. Top speed? > Haven't we already been through this one 186 done...
  2. 1/4 Mile? > Do you need more HP or the ability to get the power you have to the ground?
  3. Dyno numbers? > Oh my here we go again
What power do you want more of and what are you going to do with it? I will repeat 99% of the riders out there don't use what they have now..

Cap
So we have been in somewhat of a motorcycle arms race since this bike hit in 99. Do we need 200 HP? Nope. But it has become somewhat of a new standard that we should clear in our street shoes now. I agree that we would not need this power 98% of the time. Nor can the majority of us ride it to it's ability. I also don't need an 800 HP Charger. But are they selling the crap out of them?

Here is another way to look at it. The Bus is getting long in the tooth as it gets put against probably a half dozen bikes that are more advanced.

I'm very glad they stepped up some long overdue electronics. But it's just that electronics that could squeeze 200+ HP out of a litre engine. I wish they would have dropped another benchmark bike to chase by all else for a decade. They certainly have the proven tech already in place in the 1000.

BTW if I have a 200+ HP bike out of the box, we'd use about half that power 90% of the time. Making for a legendarily reliable yet benchmark new standard to chase. Now we have an expensive member of the rest of the pack.

I was hoping for something more iconic. For 10 years, all you had to do was say Hayabusa, and everyone that knew motorcycles, knew what and why it was.

I don't think it's going to be the sales king it was for the 10 years Suzuki enjoyed with the 1st bomb in the race.

I love my Busa more than any bike I've owned. But it's now an aging king that has lost its kingdom.

If I'm gonna drop that $$ on a bike. It won't be this one.

Okay so lets work through this... What goal post?
  1. Top speed? > Haven't we already been through this one 186 done...
  2. 1/4 Mile? > Do you need more HP or the ability to get the power you have to the ground?
  3. Dyno numbers? > Oh my here we go again
What power do you want more of and what are you going to do with it? I will repeat 99% of the riders out there don't use what they have now..

Cap

Come on Cap, most riders won’t get all a 600 has to offer either. A Prius would get me from A to B the same way my supercharged Caddy would but why don’t I have a Prius? The 250+hp MotoGP bikes have the ability to get the power to the ground so why not a high HP Hayabusa? Suzuki could have done everything they did (and) produce a bigger badder motor. (That’s) what the buyers wanted. To go beyond the restricted 186 mph top speed all that has to be done is flash the ECU, on (any) superbike. Many do this to get other benefits and aren’t interested in top speed. Still though, most buyers want more HP. To get there, even restricted, quicker than any other bike means something. Suzuki‘s sales goal is obviously not directed towards the king of the hill buyers. Take General Motors for example and their small block Chevy V8s. Why do you think their 265ci motor morphed into the 283 then the 2 four barrel 283 then the 327 then the fuelie 327 and so on? The new Hayabusa may very well turn out to be a top tier sport touring rig but so is Honda’s Gold Wing.

Come on Cap, most riders won’t get all a 600 has to offer either. A Prius would get me from A to B the same way my supercharged Caddy would but why don’t I have a Prius? The 250+hp MotoGP bikes have the ability to get the power to the ground so why not a high HP Hayabusa? Suzuki could have done everything they did (and) produce a bigger badder motor. (That’s) what the buyers wanted. To go beyond the restricted 186 mph top speed all that has to be done is flash the ECU, on (any) superbike. Many do this to get other benefits and aren’t interested in top speed. Still though, most buyers want more HP. To get there, even restricted, quicker than any other bike means something. Suzuki‘s sales goal is obviously not directed towards the king of the hill buyers. Take General Motors for example and their small block Chevy V8s. Why do you think their 265ci motor morphed into the 283 then the 2 four barrel 283 then the 327 then the fuelie 327 and so on? The new Hayabusa may very well turn out to be a top tier sport touring rig but so is Honda’s Gold Wing.

Fair enough I'll play.. So the bike is limited to 186 and 200 mph takes work to get there so how many people that have flashed their ECU have made 200 you think? It sounds like you might have a better chance of getting to the 200 on the Gen 3 than the Gen 2 or 1 because of the new improved aerodynamics.

Those bikes that are putting all the power to the ground or on super special sticky tires on sticky tracks with suspensions setup for the rider and the bikes are monitored by a crew with real time telemetry. Most people dont have a mobile pit crew..

I haven't heard a real good reason for more HP except bragging rights... It seems like even if the bike is designed better and is faster some of you guys don't care because it's less HP and that my friends I find to be sad. What you really want to be is the king of the hill and the fastest out there with the least amount of HP right... The guy that can say I can outdrive your corvette in the mountains with my Prius and then go do it.

Just sayin.....

On the glass is half full front, we could be on a KTM forum right now! Seems that none of the new 1290 KTM's are now coming to the US until 2022! Kind of bums me out, as the recently announced ADV 1290S has many of the same gizmo's the New Busa has, plus it has the Intelligent Cruise control I have been harping on Suzuki to put on the Busa for years!

I totally agree with Cap. I measure it by fun factor. The Tuono with it's 160 hp is huge on the fun factor, straight line or especially in the curves. Magazines' reporting of HP and 1/4 mile times gets into our heads and maybe skew our judgement as to which bike is best for each one of us individually. Sure bragging rights when we're standing around looking at our bikes has a certain prestige, but let's remember why we ride.

I totally agree with Cap. I measure it by fun factor. The Tuono with it's 160 hp is huge on the fun factor, straight line or especially in the curves. Magazines' reporting of HP and 1/4 mile times gets into our heads and maybe skew our judgement as to which bike is best for each one of us individually. Sure bragging rights when we're standing around looking at our bikes has a certain prestige, but let's remember why we ride.

WOOO HOOO that's one on my side!

After sleeping on it, I agree with what Cap is saying. Do I wish it was 1,400cc+, yes but I understand why they did what they did while also having to pass Euro5 emissions.

Only a handful of us are going to go berserk on mods and push 200mph+! It’s the tech, refinement, and ride ability that will sell a bike in this day and age. The Busa is still the best all around bike available and I’m glad they didn’t let it die. Do I wish they offered more, yes but considering the market and price point, it’s not completely bad.

Heck, look at bike prices right now...

S1000RR base $17,490 M-package like you’d want $22,690
V4 $22,295
RSV4 $25,499
R1M $26k
CBR1000RR-R SP $28,500
V4S $28,685
H2
M1000-RR $32,900
V4SP $37k
V4R $40k
H2R $55k
V4 Supperleggera $100k

The cost of everything has gone up, Busa is still a bargain...

Don’t need to... after 14 years to not even put the time and effort into improving the power (which for me is the DNA of this bike) is unforgivable and has completely put me off even trying one. Suzuki are spitting in our faces and unfortunately it seems a lot of you are ok with that... pure cost savings on their part.

I don’t want ‘drivability’, I want, after 14 years, to ride something new that moves the goalposts forward and shocks me like my Gen2 did the first time I got it past 7k revs... that’s a Busa!!!
H2 Stock 1/4 mile 9.62
Busa stock June 1999 9.84
Busa Gen 2 stock Feb 2008 9.70 seconds
Busa Gen3, we will find out, but at the end of the day once power goes above 160hp it is about managing rubber and pavement.

I like it. I'm not sure, at that price, that I'm ready to trade my Gen2 for a new one though - and I think that's a good question Zuk should ask itself - "Did we build a bike that will compel previous owners to sell they one they currently have?"- and if that answer is no, then they needed to do better.

What I wonder is what kind of performance can it get via a full exhaust/tune etc. Remember folks, EURO4 killed the Gen2, and Even building a bike this size that would pass EURO5 at one time was said to be not worth it.

I will say I REALLY like the QS on my S1000RR, and if you can flip it for GP Shift, even better. And cruise will really help on those long interstate rides.

I'm not ready to by one, but I am ready to buy TwoBrother's when he gets one :)

Charlie is the Guinea Pig

I like what they have done with the bike, but I wanted more. I’m one of he dumb asses that uses all the power sometimes, like when zx14 thinks he’s bad.

Most are disappointed because you wanted more, the busa is a great bike so stop with the coping.

I still say the Hayabusa was originally built for a specific purpose, to "dominate"....once it stops dominating, is it still relevant? Do we need an expensive sport tour bike which leans more on the sport side than tour? It would make more sense if the bike came with a higher windshield and hard bags like the H2SXSE. Maybe that's the way Suzuki should have gone with this bike.

The very soul of the Hayabusa is to be the meanest, angriest bike on the road. It was born in a wind tunnel, raised on a high speed test track and it's sole purpose was to win the speed war. If it wasn't for the "gentleman's agreement" regulating top speeds, who knows where we'd be....I note the auto industry wasn't stupid enough to sign such an agreement.

The very name Hayabusa is something which generates bragging rights...when you are standing around in your garage, what do you think about when you look at your bike? I look at mine and see a big angry "bird" ready to strike at any time and something to be feared.

What feelings will the new bike generate??

Rarely do we see a generational update which didn't improve on all aspects of the original model. This bike looks nice, has lots of great electronics, has an upgraded engine but has lost the essence of what a Hayabusa was designed for.

If all everyone seems to want is fancy electronics and mid range torque, why didn't Suzuki just revisit the GSX1250F, it was a great bike with gobs of mid range torque and was versatile as heck.

Does anyone NEED a bike which can go 200mph? Not at all, would we LIKE a bike that could if we wanted? I think YES just by reading posts on this forum ranging all the way back to it's inception.

Imagine if when GM revamped the Corvette they put the same engine in it as it's predecessor, people who know and follow Corvettes would be dumbfounded and angry....

I still say the Hayabusa was originally built for a specific purpose, to "dominate"....once it stops dominating, is it still relevant? Do we need an expensive sport tour bike which leans more on the sport side than tour? It would make more sense if the bike came with a higher windshield and hard bags like the H2SXSE. Maybe that's the way Suzuki should have gone with this bike.

The very soul of the Hayabusa is to be the meanest, angriest bike on the road. It was born in a wind tunnel, raised on a high speed test track and it's sole purpose was to win the speed war. If it wasn't for the "gentleman's agreement" regulating top speeds, who knows where we'd be....I note the auto industry wasn't stupid enough to sign such an agreement.

The very name Hayabusa is something which generates bragging rights...when you are standing around in your garage, what do you think about when you look at your bike? I look at mine and see a big angry "bird" ready to strike at any time and something to be feared.

What feelings will the new bike generate??

Rarely do we see a generational update which didn't improve on all aspects of the original model. This bike looks nice, has lots of great electronics, has an upgraded engine but has lost the essence of what a Hayabusa was designed for.

If all everyone seems to want is fancy electronics and mid range torque, why didn't Suzuki just revisit the GSX1250F, it was a great bike with gobs of mid range torque and was versatile as heck.

Does anyone NEED a bike which can go 200mph? Not at all, would we LIKE a bike that could if we wanted? I think YES just by reading posts on this forum ranging all the way back to it's inception.

Imagine if when GM revamped the Corvette they put the same engine in it as it's predecessor, people who know and follow Corvettes would be dumbfounded and angry....
To continue down that road, imagine if there was no new corvette for 13 years. When the new one finally comes out, it has the same engine as the last one and a new radio, some new speakers and traction control. The plastics changed on the outside but thats it...Oh and it makes less power and worse gas mileage. lol

Better?
EtoUk1QUcAIIEXB?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I really like what Suzuki did here. I've had my Gen 2 since 2010 and have over 60K on the clock. I can ride but am by no means close to pushing the limits of the bike I have now and do not desire to do so. 60 K is by no means a record but it's time for something new. I was thinking about maybe an adventure bike, or a cruiser like the Rocket 3R or M109 just for something different. Now my decision has been made and I will definitely go with the Gen 3 for the following reasons.

Never rode a bike with electronics like this one and am looking forward to figuring it out.
The bike looks fantastic.
Love to have some of the goodies the Gen 2 lost like a true trip computer for gas mileage and range.
Lot's of potential for more power if I want it, probably leave it stock.
Cruise control and heated grips are two things I always wanted on my current bike. Just didn't like the aftermarket stuff.
Still far beyond by capabilities and maybe the electronics will instill the confidence to explore those limits.

Bottom line is the bike is still likely a sub 10 second quarter and 186 mph top speed. More than quick and fast enough.

First thing I'll do is pull off that chrome strip and shoot it with some tint to make it look like black chrome.

I kinda wish Suzuki had a more aggressive color scheme for the intro. This bike would look good in Suzuki race colors, Blue and gold or a deep burgundy red. I normally don't like Busas in white but the white pearl is nice. Maybe they will come out with a Carbon version!

I bought my 06 bus brand new as a birthday present to me. It was my first busa. Shortly after that I discovered the org. I remember how many org members talked about how the busa was the king of speed and even when the first zx14 came out many believed many believed the g2 ws still every bit a match and rightfully so. In 2012 the debate ended with the zx14r. I remember lots and lots of people talking about a g3 busa and hoping it would surely have a 1441 motor and be the king of speed again. But it didn't. Whether we use that power or not it really was bragging rights. The busa was born on that idea. If being the king and if power was not the issue of owning one then why did Suzuki have one in 99 was really all about that. I love the new look and I love most of the new features but clearly Suzuki has just given up the fight and let Kawasaki take over in that market. And if Kawasaki can make the zx14r euro 5 compliant then surely Suzuki could have also especially at the asking price. I just cant see that many units being sold because of price alone. That said nows the time to get a gen 2 for sure. just my thoughts

we live in a corporate world :( i watched the Suzuki engineers video when the chief engineer said i took it to 200 kmh ( 112 mph ) and it felt really stable ( is that it !!!!!!)

no longer will any one say i rode it to 186 mph anymore in Marketing

Back