Caps quick thoughts on Gen 3

More inane piffle.
It's a new shape, has a considerable hike in torque and more horsepower in the most used range.
A nigh on completely new, stronger engine, apart from the cases.
Stronger transmission.
Improved riding position.
More electronic gizmos than you can shake a stick at.
This constitutes a New model.
We should be grateful it hasn't been discontinued.
......."inane piffle" whatever that means...it sounds pretty humorous....I like it...

The Hayabusa exists to dominate...this new bike does not dominate...nor will it ever. It still looks like a Hayabusa and it has the farkles we have been craving but the power-plant should have been upgraded.

The next generation of a platform should be outperforming it's previous generation in almost every way...and that includes power delivery...

Suzuki is relying on the tuners and aftermarket to make this bike perform at least as good as it's predecessor....this thing should have been able to stomp a gen 2 out of the box.

Lots of "shoulds" in my post...

The Hayabusa exists to dominate...this new bike does not dominate...nor will it ever. It still looks like a Hayabusa and it has the farkles we have been craving but the power-plant should have been upgraded.

The next generation of a platform should be outperforming it's previous generation in almost every way...and that includes power delivery...

Suzuki is relying on the tuners and aftermarket to make this bike perform at least as good as it's predecessor....this thing should have been able to stomp a gen 2 out of the box.

Lots of "shoulds" in my post...
I think that is where we are all having problems and being divisive is in the “shoulds” or as a popular gear reviewer (and hayabusa owner) calls it “philosophy of use” (POU) - nutnfancy
@Bumblebee you and others appear to me to be saying the POU of hayabusa is to dominate, and others sabe the fastest in the world.
It may have been its POU once, but what happened when Suzuki did not update it for 13 years it lost it. And some like myself and others and I think now Suzuki saw it in a new light a new POU.
Just the best street sport bike, not a race bike, not a full tourer. It’s Philosophy Of Use has changed, and I think some are having trouble with that change.

All I have to do is work the numbers to see this bike will not be able to contend. I don't even have to ride one to know that.

I'm talking a stock bike-not modified...this bike stock should have been a world dominator in order to carry the name Hayabusa.

In my experience, if a new model does not live up to what it is supposed to, people walk away and move onto other platforms. This bike will sell, people here will buy them but it will be nowhere near the sales of the previous models.

So what exactly does a world dominator look like when the top speed wars are over? Which bike could get to the fastest theoretical top speed had there not been a factory restricted limiter? The last thing we need is what could be and more what is.... How many Zook or Kawi riders ever get near what their bikes true limits are? The argument for top power is really worthless, the discussion should be about maximizing usable power to be the fastest rider YOU can be and not my factory bike is faster than yours!

cap

Everything you said can and has been accomplished but horsepower sells motorcycles. Why is that you ask? No, nobody asks that for all the obvious reasons.

Everything you said can and has been accomplished but horsepower sells motorcycles. Why is that you ask? No, nobody asks that for all the obvious reasons.
That's just not true, HP is a tell tell sign but performance numbers tell the story.

I think that is where we are all having problems and being divisive is in the “shoulds” or as a popular gear reviewer (and hayabusa owner) calls it “philosophy of use” (POU) - nutnfancy
@Bumblebee you and others appear to me to be saying the POU of hayabusa is to dominate, and others sabe the fastest in the world.
It may have been its POU once, but what happened when Suzuki did not update it for 13 years it lost it. And some like myself and others and I think now Suzuki saw it in a new light a new POU.
Just the best street sport bike, not a race bike, not a full tourer. It’s Philosophy Of Use has changed, and I think some are having trouble with that change.
Sadly this may very well be true....Suzuki has fallen off the podium so often they've become shell-shocked...at one time they were the world leader and it is obvious that time has come and gone.

I look at the Katana, in it's hey-day it was cutting edge and a world leader then it slowly turned into something entirely different and completely neutered until Suzuki saw it in a new light and reintroduced it. It's not great but a far sight better than what it was at the end.

If this new bike is so appealing to so many people, why didn't the GSX1250F not take off so well.....it was a very sport tour oriented bike with gobs of mid-range torque.

So what exactly does a world dominator look like when the top speed wars are over? Which bike could get to the fastest theoretical top speed had there not been a factory restricted limiter? The last thing we need is what could be and more what is.... How many Zook or Kawi riders ever get near what their bikes true limits are? The argument for top power is really worthless, the discussion should be about maximizing usable power to be the fastest rider YOU can be and not my factory bike is faster than yours!

cap
I guess we will never know that answer honestly....Suzuki has decided that for us.

I would suggest not that many riders use the full power of most bikes but it is nice to know you have it if you wanted to.

The Hayabusa was born and bred as a world class street dominating monster...now it has become what it has....

I am a die hard Suzuki guy and have had some sort of Suzuki sport bike since the '80s. I was even sponsored by Suzuki while racing so it pains me to say anything against this new bike.

I agree with Terry's post, I'd rather drive a Hemi 'Cuda over a slant 6 version.

Last edited:
Your killin me smalls, your assumptions are that the Gen 3s aren't as fast as the previous bikes when in fact even the data from zook says otherwise. Your cracking me up with the slant 6 comment. Zook didn't put a smaller motor in it there reworked the excellence that was already there..

Your killin me smalls, your assumptions are that the Gen 3s aren't as fast as the previous bikes when in fact even the data from zook says otherwise. Your cracking me up with the slant 6 comment. Zook didn't put a smaller motor in it there reworked the excellence that was already there..
I love my Suzukis and especially my Hayabusa but Suzuki could have done so much more with this new bike when it comes to their choice of engine. They did all the work to re-shape the body work and message the GSXR electronics, they could have bumped up the engine...

The data shows marginal gains in the curve and many techs say a regular person probably wouldn't even feel the difference.

I guess it's just frustrating to wait all these years and finally get a gen 3 only to find out it is not the top tier bike it once was.

cap
You know, you can use that power in gears other than 6th. The point is to thrill the rider. That can be in 3rd gear. More power does a better job of that. I almost never fully used 6th gear on any of my Busas. One group thinks they should have increased the power and made the same splash as they did in 1999, or even a small splash as 2008. The other group is accepting of a product that doesn't rock the world as much as the previous generations. If you are in the second group, you may well have the best bike ever made.

You know, you can use that power in gears other than 6th. The point is to thrill the rider. That can be in 3rd gear. More power does a better job of that. I almost never fully used 6th gear on any of my Busas. One group thinks they should have increased the power and made the same splash as they did in 1999, or even a small splash as 2008. The other group is accepting of a product that doesn't rock the world as much as the previous generations. If you are in the second group, you may well have the best bike ever made.
So from what I read this bike is faster (Gen3) than the Gen 2 inmid range and has launch control and other doo dads that are there for safety and to maximize not just the bike but the rider...

I love my Suzukis and especially my Hayabusa but Suzuki could have done so much more with this new bike when it comes to their choice of engine. They did all the work to re-shape the body work and message the GSXR electronics, they could have bumped up the engine...

The data shows marginal gains in the curve and many techs say a regular person probably wouldn't even feel the difference.

I guess it's just frustrating to wait all these years and finally get a gen 3 only to find out it is not the top tier bike it once was.
I keep seeing you type that but no one has even ridden one yet and you've already decided it's a piece .. I have ridden with literally THIUSANDS of other busa rides in 20 years and I promise you only a handful ever truly owned that bike. If bragging rights is what you guys want then jump on over to the H2 if you need to or ride the heck out of the one you have now....

Dayum, “thousands”. I’ve only ridden with maybe a dozen Busa riders at any one time. Other than my solo trips into outer space speeds, I’ve only once been around that speed with another bike and that was an R1 I was passing. It’s not just the speed, it’s the helmet ripping a c c e l e r a t I o n! :laugh: I’d like to see the comparison performance numbers between all three Gens.

95% of the people can't ride a Gen 1 to its full potential. If you like the Gen 3 buy one, if not, don't. I like it from what I have seen and will more than likely be buying one. Several of my close friends feel the same way. I will never sell my 05 Gen 1. I love the way I feel when I am on it, and probably will the Gen 3 also. Now, to sell the Concours and have a nice down pmt on the new Gen 3.

cap
If all this is true, or the way you feel, you need no more than a good 300cc bike. I know there is more than pure power but Hayabusa had both and that is what drew me to them in the first place.

Dayum, “thousands”. I’ve only ridden with maybe a dozen Busa riders at any one time. Other than my solo trips into outer space speeds, I’ve only once been around that speed with another bike and that was an R1 I was passing. It’s not just the speed, it’s the helmet ripping a c c e l e r a t I o n! :laugh: I’d like to see the comparison performance numbers between all three Gens.

I've had the honor my friend to have ridden all over this country with incredible people. I've made some of my closest friends right here on the org and I've ridden across the US just to have a few hours of time with them. Ive had so many riders that have slept at my house at one time you couldn't take a step without squishing some sleeping on the floor. I've ridden with older wiser riders, younger with no respect for the bike and learned something from all of them.

I really want to see one in person and take it for a spin before I can form a true opinion. My issue is my Gen 2 is heavily modified and then Gen 3 is just very expensive. I love my Gen 2 to death so I could not let her go.... The performance isn't everything to me because I do not top out the busa. This bike is a monster even at 3/4 throttle!

Back