Caps quick thoughts on Gen 3

Gen2.5? More like Gen1.75 since the Gen2 wasn't a huge leap forward either.

Evolution, not revolution, seems to be the name of the game for the Hayabusa. I guess they were tired after the massive leap that the GSX-R1000 took.

Taken at face value, the new Hayabusa is a very capable and attractive bike. Unfortunately, no bike lives in a vacuum and will always be compared to its rivals. To ignore the competition is to ignore progress. Competition improves the breed.

At the end of the day though, the new 'Busa will still sell. Not in huge numbers but then it's more of a boutique ride these days anyway. Suzuki has far more mainstream machines in its line up to garner the sales and pad the books. People who want a Hayabusa will buy a Hayabusa. People who want ultimate performance will shop elsewhere.

As said by someone above, we should be happy that the bike still exists at all. It would have been pretty easy for the bean counters to pull the plug on the Hayabusa's life support.

And me? I was never in the market anyway. I wouldn't drop $20K on a car, so I'd never spend that on a motorcycle.

I've waited to post my thoughts on the Gen 3 because I wanted to have some time to digest all of the data Suzuki has released.

I started by journey with the Hayabusa in 99 when I ordered by 2000 Busa and replaced it with a 2007 and then my 3rd busa was my 2008 Gen 2.

I have had just about every mod on the bikes over the years at some point and have ridden the bike on the quarter mile, across the country on weeks long tours and had full weekends on road tracks.

On very few occasions have I ever opened the bike up full throttle and just let the bike run out to the top end speed. 1st of all there just isn't a good place to do this for top end and 2nd it's just not safe on public roads.

What I did see from Suzuki is a lot of effort in changing the motor to make it more efficient and powerful where it's typically needed as opposed to power in a speed band that very few ever touch. What I have consistently heard over the past couple of days is that people wanted the increased HP and bike spec numbers for bragging rights for a bike in which the war is already over.

I started looking at all of the mods I have had over the years and I remembered Steve Holl and Ken from Suzuki coming to the Robbinsville Bash with us and watching them go over all of the mods that we had put on our bikes. They asked in detail why we made the changes and what the benefits were. We tried to explain to them but I clearly recall the best way to explain the changes was to let them ride on so Ken threw his leg over Zukracers Gen 1 and off on the Dragon we went.. When Ken came rolling back in he raised his visor and was grinning from ear to ear he got it, he understood every single mod that Brian had put on his bike. Ken had an all new appreciation for the mods

Fast forward to Scar's 1st annual Reno event and American Suzuki was there and our old friend Steve Holl again and they asked us about colors, mods and the future of the busa. I remember telling them that some of the best mods would be HID's and cruise control and we were told there wasn't any way they could put those features on a bike because of liability.

I started making a list of the mods I have had on my bikes and the new features on the new Gen 3

View attachment 1632034

The list goes on and on of things that have been included in standard bike. What I think is important is that the top speed wars are over so why are so many focused on the HP and top grunt. The bike is more aerodynamic and if you notice the mid-range get up and go is better than the Gen II. So while I understand it would have been great to have an even bigger motor between your legs that you won't ever use Suzuki offered up a bike that really meets the needs of most of the riders out there.

Folks might want to wait until someone actually rides one before they put a nail in the coffin for the Hayabusa.

The biggest detractor for me is the price, I get there is a lot of bike there but GEESH… I will have to wait a few years and buy a used one from someone else.

Thanks Suzuki for keeping the bike going!

Someone tell me if the trashcan mod got added to the Gen 3

Cap
What a great perspective,
As for the price, Cap your are correct, they have a lot new R&D into the new bike, but not worth the almost $4k increase.
I can still buy a 2020, OTD now for $12700.
Ive been waiting for a replacement since my 2013 was stolen back in 2015, and i have to say, i may just buy another Gen 2, and make it mine again!

the Gen2 wasn't a huge leap forward either

You lost me here because there were clearly significant changes in the bike. I always used the example of a Gen I was like a power sledgehammer and the Gen 2 was was a laser. Both are powerful just in incredibly different ways.

People who want ultimate performance will shop elsewhere.
Again the generally accepted definition of performance; hp or quarter mile times. It means very little to me. All these bikes are so fast it’s bordering on ridiculous. I’m more concerned about the reduced fuel capacity and consumption as it would be a tourer for me. We all have our own definitions.

Again the generally accepted definition of performance; hp or quarter mile times. It means very little to me. All these bikes are so fast it’s bordering on ridiculous. I’m more concerned about the reduced fuel capacity and consumption as it would be a tourer for me. We all have our own definitions.
The huge increase in fuel consumption is a mystery to me. How have all of the engine, electronic and exhaust updates, & target of Euro 5 compliance make the bike lose nearly 16% fuel efficiency? The reduction in fuel capacity may be due to the new airbox volume cutting into fuel tank volume.

More inane piffle.
It's a new shape, has a considerable hike in torque and more horsepower in the most used range.
A nigh on completely new, stronger engine, apart from the cases.
Stronger transmission.
Improved riding position.
More electronic gizmos than you can shake a stick at.
This constitutes a New model.
We should be grateful it hasn't been discontinued.
What in the great blue sky is "inane piffle????"

As for the rest of your observations...this isn't a Toyota Camry here, this is a Suzuki Hayabusa-it was born and bred to dominate the competition-something it hasn't done in many years...if the new 2.5 Hayabusa was not designed to dominate...what is it's point of existence I ask....???

We don't need a reincarnation of the old GSXF models...

Make this thing have the ability to stomp the guts out of the competition or let it die with dignity.

I've waited to post my thoughts on the Gen 3 because I wanted to have some time to digest all of the data Suzuki has released.

I started by journey with the Hayabusa in 99 when I ordered by 2000 Busa and replaced it with a 2007 and then my 3rd busa was my 2008 Gen 2.

I have had just about every mod on the bikes over the years at some point and have ridden the bike on the quarter mile, across the country on weeks long tours and had full weekends on road tracks.

On very few occasions have I ever opened the bike up full throttle and just let the bike run out to the top end speed. 1st of all there just isn't a good place to do this for top end and 2nd it's just not safe on public roads.

What I did see from Suzuki is a lot of effort in changing the motor to make it more efficient and powerful where it's typically needed as opposed to power in a speed band that very few ever touch. What I have consistently heard over the past couple of days is that people wanted the increased HP and bike spec numbers for bragging rights for a bike in which the war is already over.

I started looking at all of the mods I have had over the years and I remembered Steve Holl and Ken from Suzuki coming to the Robbinsville Bash with us and watching them go over all of the mods that we had put on our bikes. They asked in detail why we made the changes and what the benefits were. We tried to explain to them but I clearly recall the best way to explain the changes was to let them ride on so Ken threw his leg over Zukracers Gen 1 and off on the Dragon we went.. When Ken came rolling back in he raised his visor and was grinning from ear to ear he got it, he understood every single mod that Brian had put on his bike. Ken had an all new appreciation for the mods

Fast forward to Scar's 1st annual Reno event and American Suzuki was there and our old friend Steve Holl again and they asked us about colors, mods and the future of the busa. I remember telling them that some of the best mods would be HID's and cruise control and we were told there wasn't any way they could put those features on a bike because of liability.

I started making a list of the mods I have had on my bikes and the new features on the new Gen 3

View attachment 1632034

The list goes on and on of things that have been included in standard bike. What I think is important is that the top speed wars are over so why are so many focused on the HP and top grunt. The bike is more aerodynamic and if you notice the mid-range get up and go is better than the Gen II. So while I understand it would have been great to have an even bigger motor between your legs that you won't ever use Suzuki offered up a bike that really meets the needs of most of the riders out there.

Folks might want to wait until someone actually rides one before they put a nail in the coffin for the Hayabusa.

The biggest detractor for me is the price, I get there is a lot of bike there but GEESH… I will have to wait a few years and buy a used one from someone else.

Thanks Suzuki for keeping the bike going!

Someone tell me if the trashcan mod got added to the Gen 3

Cap
I bought one saturday.or put a deposit on it and waiting.thats the only way to get one.it comes with two year maint.and a jacket.

Sorry guys but the rest of the world has moved on in the past 14 years... even bloody GS owners got 20bhp in the past 14 years.

The Busa is about being kick-ass....

if you are prepared to forgive Suzuki for not evening bothering to make the bike competitive against modern machinery, that’s possibly more a reflection on how you have aged than anything else.

I wanted a bad-ass bike, I could care less if I use the power or not... but to give us less and make it uncompetitive against modern machines is unforgivable. That isn’t Busa DNA.

Sorry guys but the rest of the world has moved on in the past 14 years... even bloody GS owners got 20bhp in the past 14 years.

if you are prepared to forgive Suzuki for not evening bothering to make the bike competitive against modern machinery, that’s possibly more a reflection on how you have aged than anything else.

I wanted a bad-ass bike, I could care less if I use the power or not... but to give us less and make it uncompetitive against modern machines is unforgivable. That isn’t Busa DNA.
Could you at least wait until some has ridden one before you throw it out!

As @captain said this bike hasn't even hit the streets yet so it may just surprise all of the those that are putting it down and I really hope it does. Wouldn't it be something of that extra work they did on the mid range was enough to make it put enough distance between it and another bike to keep it from being able to reel it back in. I think it'd be awesome that if they had enough hidden in it to shut down the zx14 without having to enlarge the engine.

I’m taking the wait and see stance. I like the up grades, but the power is a big disappointment. The price is up a little high, if you have to do mods to make it kick ass the cost is going to be very high. I’m old not grown up , I want the power.

What in the great blue sky is "inane piffle????"

As for the rest of your observations...this isn't a Toyota Camry here, this is a Suzuki Hayabusa-it was born and bred to dominate the competition-something it hasn't done in many years...if the new 2.5 Hayabusa was not designed to dominate...what is it's point of existence I ask....???

We don't need a reincarnation of the old GSXF models...

Make this thing have the ability to stomp the guts out of the competition or let it die with dignity.

I am saying it's not the end of the world.
I suspect if the engine had been 60cc bigger, most of the naysayers would have been far less negative as then it would be a 'new' machine.
I think it's puerile all this Gen 2.5 rubbish.
In my experience, people who criticise a new model, either end up buying one eventually or at least have a pang of wistfulness the first time someone tools past on the 'disappointing' new model.
Knee jerk reactions are seldom borne out.

Last edited:
I suspect if the engine had been 60cc bigger, most of the naysayers would have been far less negative as then it would be a 'new' machine.
In my experience, people who criticise a new model, either end up buying one eventually or at least have a pang of wistfulness the first time someone tools past on the 'disappointing' new model.

Where are you? Fill in your profile. :)

Ahh yes I know that pang well. Hate that pang.

Reactions: prg
All I have to do is work the numbers to see this bike will not be able to contend. I don't even have to ride one to know that.

I'm talking a stock bike-not modified...this bike stock should have been a world dominator in order to carry the name Hayabusa.

In my experience, if a new model does not live up to what it is supposed to, people walk away and move onto other platforms. This bike will sell, people here will buy them but it will be nowhere near the sales of the previous models.

I’m not interested in buying one and wasn’t, no matter how good it might have been. And I’m not putting the new model down either but being a satisfied Hayabusa owner for 15 years, I (am) disappointed that it didn’t live up to it’s rep. Once there are ride results to read about most of us may not have many gripes at all as it may turn out to be a fine (refined) sports tourer. However, I think most of the faithful (us) would, and could have been even more satisfied if Suzuki Inc. had just given us back, as an off the showroom floor, the title of king of the super bikes. :D The Gen1 had an 8 year run and until 06 didn’t even have any real competition. Then the next Gen, with minimum upgrades throughout its looong azz 13 year run still only gave us a whopping 41cc increase and twin injectors. Granted, there isn’t that much difference in speed or ‘quickness’ between all of the contenders but the king is still the king (that) is why we all felt let down by Suzuki’s decision. Unmodified, in the 1.3 liter and above class (the) king of all superbikes (the) Uber sports touring machine (the) quarter mile and top speed king was the Hayabusa, at least in was in 1999. If they weren’t going to give us a lighter bike, a kickazz 1.5 liter well balanced high hp motor would’ve been (completely) satisfying for all and would sell like hot cakes!

Back