Can't back up the busa

Hauie

Yesterday, I took the 2018 busa on a short ride. Ended up losing my wallet somehow, backtracked within 5 minutes on the road and it was gone. Pretty bad day. This morning, woke up - weather was great and decided to ride again. Started up the busa and realized that I can't back up. It seems like the front and rear rotors are locked up, maybe. The brake pads seem very close/almost touching the rotors - When I put it on stands, the back wheels turn, but with resistance. What can I do to fix this issue?

Start by popping the pads out and verifying that it's the braking system causing the binding.
Provide a little history, if possible, on what sort of maint & mod have recently been performed on this bike.

[EDIT] Sorry to hear about your wallet. Want us to take up a collection?

Start by popping the pads out and verifying that it's the braking system causing the binding.
Provide a little history, if possible, on what sort of maint & mod have recently been performed on this bike.

[EDIT] Sorry to hear about your wallet. Want us to take up a collection?

What is a collection?
The bike has been in storage for a couple of months now, rode it 2-3 times this week without any issues.
I haven't done any mods, have just been riding it a few times a month to keep it running since I started training for my first ironman.

What is a collection?
The bike has been in storage for a couple of months now, rode it 2-3 times this week without any issues.
I haven't done any mods, have just been riding it a few times a month to keep it running since I started training for my first ironman.

A collection ... we pass the hat around, everybody puts a couple bucks in the hat, give it to you to offset your recent loss. Oh, I see, maybe you thought I was joking. I'm not. This place does stuff like that, as you know.

And I'd still pull the pads, just to rule out an axle issue

A collection ... we pass the hat around, everybody puts a couple bucks in the hat, give it to you to offset your recent loss. Oh, I see, maybe you thought I was joking. I'm not. This place does stuff like that, as you know

That'd be helpful, but I'm not realistically looking for that - just want to get my bike back to running pace. This time's rough for everyone. I'll go ahead and pop the pads out and see is that's the case, is there any videos on the 2k18 for that? Realistically, I know the pads are too tight because it looks like theres no space in between the pads and rotors.

That'd be helpful, but I'm not realistically looking for that - just want to get my bike back to running pace. This time's rough for everyone. I'll go ahead and pop the pads out and see is that's the case, is there any videos on the 2k18 for that? Realistically, I know the pads are too tight because it looks like theres no space in between the pads and rotors.
Pad replacement vids on any modern sport bike would run you through the basics, and that's all you really need to do - or even just pulling the calipers off. Just make sure to re-torque those caliper bolts when you put the calipers back on. Yeah, lots of generic vids on that - maybe even a couple for Gen 2 Busa

The prob you might have is when you pull the calipers off is residual pressure in the system pushing the pads out and then it'll be a pain to get the caliper (and pads) back over the rotor. I'd pull the pads first cuz that's pretty straightforward

I tried looking online to see if anyone's rotors/pads are that close together, since this is my first motorcycle - I know for cars, that's a bad sign.

Yeah, they're supposed to be tight like that - visually speaking. Here's some pics I just took.
This is the '14 Hayabusa:
IMG_4315.JPEG

And here's the '14 Strom 1000:
IMG_4318.JPEG

Or maybe it's the other way around, but the point remains valid

I presume it won't go forward or back? I had the same thing happen to mine near the end of the season. All it was was that the pads were stuck to the rotors. I heard a pop and it was free. Just a little moisture. the rotors will rust a little bit pretty easily. I think I washed it and didn't go for a ride to dry it like I normally do. If it rolled when you got off, and now it wont, I think you just have a spot of rust. Sit on it and try repeatedly to roll it, not too hard. I bet it will let go. If it was the engine, I think it would roll at least a tiny bit.

Total agreement
Okay, I'm a retard. I finally managed to push my bike out from the garage and road down the street to the Yamaha shop (Suzuki is far away) some guy in a truck tells me that I'm riding a flat back tires. Got down the street, confirmed handling felt like poop. Upgraded to a 200/55 commander cruiser 3.

At least the bike problem is fixed, altho it took an even bigger chunk out of my wallet (that no longer exists) lmao. I had to help the man set up his shop to accept android pay/Zelle

Okay, I'm a retard. I finally managed to push my bike out from the garage and road down the street to the Yamaha shop (Suzuki is far away) some guy in a truck tells me that I'm riding a flat back tires. Got down the street, confirmed handling felt like poop. Upgraded to a 200/55 commander cruiser 3.

At least the bike problem is fixed, altho it took an even bigger chunk out of my wallet (that no longer exists) lmao. I had to help the man set up his shop to accept android pay/Zelle
Yeah but your transparency makes up for it. I, myself, have been a retard many, many times. Mostly with women and bikes ... in that order

Never heard of a cruiser tire on a Busa. Let us know how it works out.
I was in a rush and the yamaha store recommended it, so I'll try it out and see I guess. I looked it up and it said it would handle better than stock tires on corners as well. The bike's fairly new and I still haven't even broken into knowing how it realistically feels yet. Started training for tri's and have done 5x more miles on a bicycle than my busa lol

EDIT: I usually only use it for sunday cruises with the wife and friends anyways, I probably won't notice the difference.

Last edited:
Back