Brake Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstuf

Registered
I just put two new tires on my 08 Busa and now it seems that the rear pads seem to have a slight drag on the rear rotor. When I take a ride sometimes it is fine and then the next time the rotor seem to get quite hot to the touch with out using the rear brake at all. The brakes all work fine like always it's just that the rotors get quite hot even when not used. The front two rotors are always cool to the touch if not used . The calipers are good and free , the pads are in good shape everything seems fine. Any thought why the pads would be dragging? Maybe it has been like that since new and I just didn't notice before. I am on vacation this week and don't want to have any bike problems. Thanks for your thoughts.

I would suspect either incorrect install of the rear wheel, or one of the caliper pistons starts binding and doesn't want to go back into the caliper once the rear brake is released.

Don't use the rear brake for a few rides and see if the heating stops. If that's the case, I would suspect the binding piston.

Also, if you put the bike on the rear stand, and spin the rear wheel, you may get a clue what's wrong.

Let us know...

short stuff
its a easy fix,,,go to page 76 in ur OM,,,there you will see that your brake pedal is out of adjustment,,you need a yard stick[is what I used] its long enough to erst from the pedal to the front fairing and set there while you make your adjustment,,,just read that page and it even has a illistration,,,alot guys dont know about this,,i had a problem a yr ago,,and it solves it fast,,your out of adjustment,,,level it up ]your need a tape measure too,,but a yard stick will lay across the bike perfectly , and then measure the distant and adjust until its with in specs,,The use of the yard stick is a string line to where you dont hve to hold it and its not a 2 person job,,,line it up as it will instruct you,,,,its eveident,,you rear brake pedal is down to low,,rubbing constantly,,every time you put rear brakes on ,you must do this,,its easy brother,,,it even has a picture and spec;s,,,dont feel bad,,Mine after an install were rubbing to,,,,page 76 will cure your problem,,,,my pedal was down too low,,it doesnt take much to make contact,and alot of guys dont know that adjustments there,,you can adjust the brake lite too,,but pedal play is a must,,if left unattended,,youll fry those shoes fast,,,,

Last edited:
short stuff
its a easy fix,,,go to page 76 in ur OM,,,there you will see that your brake pedal is out of adjustment,,you need a yard stick[is what I used] its long enough to erst from the pedal to the front fairing and set there while you make your adjustment,,,just read that page and it even has a illistration,,,alot guys dont know about this,,i had a problem a yr ago,,and it solves it fast,,your out of adjustment,,,level it up ]your need a tape measure too,,but a yard stick will lay across the bike perfectly , and then measure the distant and adjust until its with in specs,,The use of the yard stick is a string line to where you dont hve to hold it and its not a 2 person job,,,line it up as it will instruct you,,,,its eveident,,you rear brake pedal is down to low,,rubbing constantly,,every time you put rear brakes on ,you must do this,,its easy brother,,,it even has a picture and spec;s,,,dont feel bad,,Mine after an install were rubbing to,,,,page 76 will cure your problem,,,,my pedal was down too low,,it doesnt take much to make contact,and alot of guys dont know that adjustments there,,you can adjust the brake lite too,,but pedal play is a must,,if left unattended,,youll fry those shoes fast,,,,

If the pedal was out of adjustment it would have done it before the tires were installed. . . Go back through the install and make sure everything is right. It sounds like you got something just a little bit off. How is the tracking of the rear tire? Are both the adjusters even or is your tire slightly crooked? Is the caliper mount turned the right way or is it backwards? Just a couple things to check, but go back and double check everything. Make sure it's all back on the same way it came off.

If the pedal was out of adjustment it would have done it before the tires were installed. . . Go back through the install and make sure everything is right. It sounds like you got something just a little bit off. How is the tracking of the rear tire? Are both the adjusters even or is your tire slightly crooked? Is the caliper mount turned the right way or is it backwards? Just a couple things to check, but go back and double check everything. Make sure it's all back on the same way it came off.

Go thru the set up i gave you,,as you even mentioned,,,it may have been like this for a while and your just now seeing it because you just were working back there changeing a tire,,I doubt very seriously if its the caliper,,it is in error of some to think not of this,,,go by what suzuki say to trouble shoot,,,There is no doubt thats the problem,,,ive seen this numerous times,,,sorry .you getting conflicting views,,,,,,,,pull the page I gave you,,,lay on your side , to get a birds eye view,,,get some wood and put under the kickstand to level it better,,,,,there is no doubt,,youll see your pedal is depressed,,,Follow the instructions and the brake pads will zero out,,,this is not a uncommon thing,,,,,pm me if you need me,,,dont forget the yard stick and chuck the kickstand up to level the bike,,its a 5 minute fix,,,,,do what suzuki says,,thats one of their first trouble shoots for this problem,,,alot of guys dont know this,,,

Go thru the set up i gave you,,as you even mentioned,,,it may have been like this for a while and your just now seeing it because you just were working back there changeing a tire,,I doubt very seriously if its the caliper,,it is in error of some to think not of this,,,go by what suzuki say to trouble shoot,,,There is no doubt thats the problem,,,ive seen this numerous times,,,sorry .you getting conflicting views,,,,,,,,pull the page I gave you,,,lay on your side , to get a birds eye view,,,get some wood and put under the kickstand to level it better,,,,,there is no doubt,,youll see your pedal is depressed,,,Follow the instructions and the brake pads will zero out,,,this is not a uncommon thing,,,,,pm me if you need me,,,dont forget the yard stick and chuck the kickstand up to level the bike,,its a 5 minute fix,,,,,do what suzuki says,,thats one of their first trouble shoots for this problem,,,alot of guys dont know this,,,

Dude, I wasn't the OP... But on a side note, advising someone to put wood blocks under the kickstand is terrible advice. That's just asking for the bike to fall over. If you want the bike level put it on a rear stand.

Dude, I wasn't the OP... But on a side note, advising someone to put wood blocks under the kickstand is terrible advice. That's just asking for the bike to fall over. If you want the bike level put it on a rear stand.

putting a 4 by 10 inch pieces of wood of differents heights to get the bike near level isnt reckless He needs to have it up some to make it easier on him,,,if he has a rear stand ,,fine,,quit contradicting people,,,, he needs to level it slighty to view the level of the brake leveer,to fix his problem,,,,,,, I do it ,,leaveing enough room to still have it tilting to the left,,,,he wont be pulling on the bike,,,,,lay off dude,,,lay off,,the pedal adjustment IS his problem,,,,leave him alone man,

short stuff

Thanks for the giggle :laugh: Honestly, I got the giggles when I read this. What possible effect could the rear brake pedal adjustment have on whether or not the pads drag :rofl: You can adjust your pedal to any position to your liking until you run out of theads on the adjustment. The reason the manual has an adjustment range is to insure the folks who don't know any better don't adjust the pedal to a position there are to few threads are left on the adjustment to be safe.

Brake pads should always drag slightly, enough to keep the disk warm. If you touch the disk and it's warm to touch your brakes are working properly. If the disk is too hot to hold your hand on (If no brake use has occurred) then you should look into a possible sticky puck?

Sorry about giggling at you buddy but I just couldn't help myself! :laugh:

I agree, peddle adustment has no bearing on the pressure put on the brake caliper. I have beull pegs on and my peddle is adjusted almost to it's lower limit. Using your theory Bobber, my rear brakes should be on fire when i ride.

As a side note, please dont get defensive when others have a conflicting opinion. Diagnosing any issue with a bike is hard enough when you can see it in person, let alone doing it without pics and over the internet. Differences in opinions on a problem fix is how this place works. Pretty brazen to say that your fix is THE ONLY one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmech07

Originally Posted by Bobber
putting a 4 by 10 inch pieces of wood of differents heights to get the bike near level isnt reckless He needs to have it up some to make it easier on him,,,if he has a rear stand ,,fine,,quit contradicting people,,,, he needs to level it slighty to view the level of the brake leveer,to fix his problem,,,,,,, I do it ,,leaveing enough room to still have it tilting to the left,,,,he wont be pulling on the bike,,,,,lay off dude,,,lay off,,the pedal adjustment IS his problem,,,,leave him alone man,

wow
tufbusa,,,with all due respect,,your wrong,,No joke,,read page 76 in your owners manual What you stated is NOT what the manual says,,Im not talking about adjusting the light switch,[ which is on the same page] ,,It tells you that your brake pads are NOT to touch at all,,,they are [ after youve adjusted them correctly self adjusting,,,And yes,,The Brake pedal adjustment has EVREYTHING to do with the pads coniniusly dragging,,,It will tell you [p.76] that if you allow it at all to touch ,,It will wear down the pads and ruin the face of the rotors,"unquote",,,,,,Not funny now,is it,,,,No offence,taken here,,and i hope after you read ,,you wont either,,,you should be able to spin the wheels F/B without them touching,,That pedal adustment has more value than you thought,,Please read ,,Not only was mine out slightly,,but it has been a slight common problem with some of the other org members too,brake pads arent cheap,,and warped or grooved rotors really arent cheap,,,,Best way Ive found isthe above advice,,,take your OM with and a yard stick,,you can do it on the side stand,,but I use a couple of pieces of different height wood to raise it to a slight tilt,,,,and the yard stick[faceing the numbers towards you[standing up,,lay it across the foot peg as shown in the illistration and the other end will hold itseld onto the fairing,,as a string line,,then level it so that the tip of the brake pedal is beteen 2.2-2.6 inches from the top[very important] rear tip of the foot peg,,,,look closely to the picture,,,if not,,,youll misaliagn by 1/4 inch.........Some of the guys here a while back [6months] complained about their bike slowing them down when they would pull the clutch in or in their driveway,,This ussually is the culprit or a bad or over tighten chain,,,,,.Aacceehole ,,I didnt say I had the only fix,,sorry you took offense,,,please read page 76 buddy,,,,Its in black or white,,,wait until you read the manual,,,your words are futile and reckless,,,read the owners manual and let it refute you,,,your two are assumeing and rolling in laughter,,,read the manual.....If you dont like me,,, fine,,,dont post and highlit my post to refute me with error,,,,It is in the owners manual what I said, Not my theory,,,its the makers suxuki theory,,,,,,At least there are quite a few here that do appreciate help,,,quite harboring ill feelings,,,let itgo,,,,fact is,,you two were wrong on this and your futile idle words will cost someone money,or their life,,,and the sad thing,,about it it is ,,your words and advice may cost someone money,,or worse their life. You think being in error without even reading the maual,thats eveident,,,he thinks its hillarous,,and you answered out of hatred and anger,,,,,,just dont reply to my posts and draw people out by highliting their words and rebukeing them with reckless , futile thinking,, and Folly,,,,,,,,,,,,I will not harbor ill feeling to you all,,please ,I hope you do the same,,,,,,,,,Godspeed

Last edited:
IF.... everything was installed correctly, the chances are that he has a piston binding up in the caliper.

Check in the maintenance section on how to take your calipers apart and clean them the right way

Okay Buddy, I can see you are way to sensitive to giggle at so I take it all back :laugh:

I don't have an owners manual so I can't quote what it says but I assure you, adjusting the pedal position has absolutly no effect on brake drag.

I do however have a technical manual and in the trouble shooting section on page 8-11 under "Brake Drag" it says: 1 - Rusty parts. 2 - Insufficient brake lever or brake pedal pivot lubrication. It says nothing about pedal adjustment.

As far as brake drag goes, if you have one that has no drag on the disk, WONDERFUL! However, in the real world they all drag enough to keep the disk warm. I have a brand new GSXR1K in my garage that has never been started. I just went out and gave both wheels a spin. Guess what? Both wheels drag slightly. All Four of the other bikes do the same and the brakes on all will lift the rear wheel with little effort.

Do you REALLY incorporate (Require) a yard stick to adjust your brake pedal? Sorry man, I just can't help myself. :rofl:

No offence given and no offence taken but you have a LONG way to go in order to catch up! :beerchug:

Humor goes a long ways in life. Use it, you'll live longer! :thumbsup:

no offence taken sir...but the brake pedalo adjustment has EVERYTHING to do with rear brake drag,,,,
but until you get the manual,,or pull it up on line,,dont admonish..And the Om says,,No drag,,if you have warm rotors,,youve got a serious problem,,..... [if you had a OM,,,is to use as a guide line,,,You must measure from a stringline to adjust,,,,,,please sir,,,just get the book,,,,,,,,,,its a no brainer,,,the manual gives you a imaginary line from the back tip of the rear foot peg to the front of the bike,,I actually used a 3 foot level,,,,,then you must measure from the tip of the brake pedal to the imaginary line,,,this is where the yard stick[but I used a 3 foot level for accuratcy],,,,,the point of non drag is 2.2-2.6 inches or 55-65 mm,,,,,,,,,,,,When useing a level,,it fits well and you can pull the slack towards the rear of the bike,,,Your string line {level ] must be on the rear tip of the foot peg due to it being tilted forward, as illistratuion shows and the front part or the level lays nicely against the fairing so you can have both hands free

Last edited:
Okay, I'll try this one more time!

The only way the pedal can create drag on your disk is to apply pressure to the mastercylinder. All the pedal does is create a link from you to the mastercylinder. It has absolutely no other purpose. Unless the pedal is applying pressure to the mastercylinder it has no effect whatsoever on brake drag. None - Nadda - Zippo!

No matter where you decide to adjust the pedal within it's range of motion the pedal simply hangs there awaiting your application. Adjust it up or down to suit your foot position and it still has no effect on brake drag.

I adjust my pedal as low as it will go and it makes NO difference on drag.

By the way, your owners manual is written as a guideline written in a manner to keep the vultures we call attorneys at bay such as tire pressure (42 psi). How many of us ever run 42 psi? Only the ones who live by the manual, eh? If Suzuki were truthful and gave you a range depending on the tire make and model of 19 - 42 psi cold (Which is Factual), there would be lawsuits stacked up a mile deep from guys who ran their Pilot Powers at 20 psi causing tire failure. Same with brakes. Suzuki does their very best to make their Owners Manual "Fool Proof"!

I've been poking a little humor at you and my appologies if that offended you. How you adjust your pedal is your business. However, don't emply
There is no doubt thats the problem,,,
shows your lack of hands on experience.

One other little tid bit I'll share with you, your pads, like tires function much more effeciently once they warm up a bit. Not so much on grip but on feel there is a ton of difference. You'll notice this most when hard braking is required on cold pads such as at a track day. When you hit the first corner they never feel as good as they do on the second or third corner.

Have a great weekend! :beerchug:

Tuf, why sir do you have a new GSXR1000(possibly the best bike ever made)in your garage that has never been started?! What are you waitin for?!!!:laugh:

It's actually my spare! In case I crash the one I ride, I have a spare to finish out the day on.

Makes perfect sense to me! :thumbsup:

You could say it's my good luck charm! I started keeping two back in 2005 and found I crash far less often as long as I have a quick replacement! :dunno:

no offence taken sir...but the brake pedalo adjustment has EVERYTHING to do with rear brake drag,,,,
but until you get the manual,,or pull it up on line,,dont admonish..And the Om says,,No drag,,if you have warm rotors,,youve got a serious problem,,..... [if you had a OM,,,is to use as a guide line,,,You must measure from a stringline to adjust,,,,,,please sir,,,just get the book,,,,,,,,,,its a no brainer,,,the manual gives you a imaginary line from the back tip of the rear foot peg to the front of the bike,,I actually used a 3 foot level,,,,,then you must measure from the tip of the brake pedal to the imaginary line,,,this is where the yard stick[but I used a 3 foot level for accuratcy],,,,,the point of non drag is 2.2-2.6 inches or 55-65 mm,,,,,,,,,,,,When useing a level,,it fits well and you can pull the slack towards the rear of the bike,,,Your string line {level ] must be on the rear tip of the foot peg due to it being tilted forward, as illistratuion shows and the front part or the level lays nicely against the fairing so you can have both hands free

The brake pedal thing is a lawyer tab, pure and simple. So you don't set it too HIGH, resulting in your foot resting on it, causing the pedal to be depressed, thus causing the pads to drag and overheat.
The actual setting of the pedal HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BRAKE DRAGGING. It's a disclaimer clause that they put in the manual, to release them of warrenty resposibility if it's set a mm too high.
Since I seldom ever use my rear brake, I've set it a bit below their "manual recommended" level, the rotor is seldom more than warm to the touch.
Yes, the "spec" is in the manual, but it's not something that has to be taken to heart like a valve setting spec, or a bearing clearance measurement. Just set it down to where you have to WANT to use the rear brake to swivel your ankle down enough to activate it, and you'll be alright.

And for the OP, take your caliper off and look to see that the pads are in right.
Also look to see if one pad is wearing more than the other, I believe this is an indication of a sticking piston in the caliper.

Another thing.. mind you this is a CAR thing I've had happen (and seen happen many other times), but I'll throw it out.
The inside of a brake line can collapse, causing the fluid to bleed back very slowly. Sometimes it only is noticeable after you hit the brakes fairly hard, and not be a noticeable problem at all with only lite usage of the brake. If your not dragging it with your foot somehow, and the caliper pistons are not sticking, this would be something else you might have a look at.

Okay, I'll try this one more time!

The only way the pedal can create drag on your disk is to apply pressure to the mastercylinder. All the pedal does is create a link from you to the mastercylinder. It has absolutely no other purpose. Unless the pedal is applying pressure to the mastercylinder it has no effect whatsoever on brake drag. None - Nadda - Zippo!

No matter where you decide to adjust the pedal within it's range of motion the pedal simply hangs there awaiting your application. Adjust it up or down to suit your foot position and it still has no effect on brake drag.

I adjust my pedal as low as it will go and it makes NO difference on drag.

By the way, your owners manual is written as a guideline written in a manner to keep the vultures we call attorneys at bay such as tire pressure (42 psi). How many of us ever run 42 psi? Only the ones who live by the manual, eh? If Suzuki were truthful and gave you a range depending on the tire make and model of 19 - 42 psi cold (Which is Factual), there would be lawsuits stacked up a mile deep from guys who ran their Pilot Powers at 20 psi causing tire failure. Same with brakes. Suzuki does their very best to make their Owners Manual "Fool Proof"!

I've been poking a little humor at you and my appologies if that offended you. How you adjust your pedal is your business. However, don't emply shows your lack of hands on experience.

One other little tid bit I'll share with you, your pads, like tires function much more effeciently once they warm up a bit. Not so much on grip but on feel there is a ton of difference. You'll notice this most when hard braking is required on cold pads such as at a track day. When you hit the first corner they never feel as good as they do on the second or third corner.

Have a great weekend! :beerchug:

One insult after another,,,you are the one without hands on,,plus you lie to no adavil with reckless behavior,,,and the Om isnt for lawsuit,,,,Did your parents hold your head under water for long periods of time when you were a kid ?,,,you better get a cat scan,,,conatck a sponsor when you need parts,,,,your a real pieace of work and a joke,,,,its called "Projecting you image onto another person ",,you dont know crap about bikes and engines,,,,,run you pads into the ground,,,melt the rotors son,,,guys like you are not only ignorant ,,but learn the heard way,,,and are cowards/weasels.........have a good day,,,my glueless nole....,,There are alot here who arent posting,,,but theres alot who communicate,to me,,,,,your ungratefull and dont know didly about mechanics,,,I knew that you and the other knitwitts wouldnt admit your fault once you read the manual,,,because your not men,,,but cowardly weasels,,,with pride as a neckless,,,,,,,better wear good gear ,,when that bike goes down,,,,your gonna need it,,,warped rotors arent good,,,,,have a nice day and by the way to the rest of the board,,pay no mind to the upper posts,,that guy will get you killed,,,,,,,read p76 and go by what suzuki says,,,,,,,,,,the pedal adjustment will ruin the rotors and pads,,,,,follow the book and the tips I gave you,,useing a 3 ft level makes the job easier,,,,,,and by setting it to the proper specs,,,you wont be touching the pedal going dowm the road, Thats a lie as well,,,,,that kid doesnt not only not know what he is doing,,,he;s making it up in his mind as he goes along, ,,,,,he;s just trying to save face,,,theres ,plenty of room with no foot drag,,,,unblieveable,,,,,,,,go by suzuki,,,,,read the manual and do the math,,This is a international site,,and I m conviced that thers at least 200,00 people who did read p76 and are checking their clearance to save the pads and rotors,but dont want to get into this thread ,but they are adjusting those pedals as we speak,,,the owners manual,,didnt stutter,,,Oh yeah b4 pulling calipers and what nots,,do the obviuos first,,sync your pedal buddy,,chances are very high,,thats the problem,,,Ive seen it numerous times,,,,,,, have a ,good weekend fellas,,,,,,you too tufbusa,,,have a good weekend buddy,,,,

Last edited:
One insult after another,,,you are the one without hands on,,plus you lie to no adavil with reckless behavior,,,and the Om isnt for lawsuit,,,,Did your parents hold your head under water for long periods of time when you were a kid ?,,,you better get a cat scan,,,conatck a sponsor when you need parts,,,,your a real pieace of work and a joke,,,,its called "Projecting you image onto another person ",,you dont know crap about bikes and engines,,,,,run you pads into the ground,,,melt the rotors son,,,guys like you are not only ignorant ,,but learn the heard way,,,and are cowards/weasels.........have a good day,,,my glueless nole....,,There are alot here who arent posting,,,but theres alot who communicate,to me,,,,,your ungratefull and dont know didly about mechanics,,,I knew that you and the other knitwitts wouldnt admit your fault once you read the manual,,,because your not men,,,but cowardly weasels,,,with pride as a neckless,,,,,,,better wear good gear ,,when that bike goes down,,,,your gonna need it,,,warped rotors arent good,,,,,have a nice day and by the way to the rest of the board,,pay no mind to the upper posts,,that guy will get you killed,,,,,,,read p76 and go by what suzuki says,,,,,,,,,,the pedal adjustment will ruin the rotors and pads,,,,,follow the book and the tips I gave you,,useing a 3 ft level makes the job easier,,,,,,and by setting it to the proper specs,,,you wont be touching the pedal going dowm the road, Thats a lie as well,,,,,that kid doesnt not only not know what he is doing,,,he;s making it up in his mind as he goes along, ,,,,,he;s just trying to save face,,,theres ,plenty of room with no foot drag,,,,unblieveable,,,,,,,,go by suzuki,,,,,read the manual and do the math,,This is a international site,,and I m conviced that thers at least 200,00 people who did read p76 and are checking their clearance to save the pads and rotors,but dont want to get into this thread ,but they are adjusting those pedals as we speak,,,the owners manual,,didnt stutter,,,,,,good weekend fellas,,,,,,you too tufbusa,,,have a good weekend buddy,,,,

Dude.. you just owned yourself soooo bad! :rofl::rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back