pre ride, check your brakes

oldbird

Registered
05 busa 8000 miles. went for a four hour ride this saturday on second gas fill up looked at the rear rotor it had a weird color on the edge looked like rust for the rest of the trip tried to use only the front brakes removed the rear pads and found this they didn't make any noise the rear brakes just felt a little low the rotor should be fine check your brakes often it could have been a lot more expensive

pads_2.JPG

Just changed mine a while back. Wasn't this bad but were worn ... didn't realize til I really started watching how much I unconsciously used the rear brake - it wore much faster than the fronts (still good and still stock). 06 Busa with 8500 miles ... Its a good tip ... one pad on the rear was 2mm and the other 3mm ... book says to change em at 2mm. Put on ceramics - not a racer - immediately noticed much less brake dust etc. Hope it helps.

pad.jpg

'03 with 22 thousand miles stock rear brake pads fresh from the show room floor!
biggrin.gif

Some of us hardly use the rear brake at all.

cheers
ken

17k on mine, back brakes look new also!!second set up front.you guys are using the rear for what?

(rob t @ Mar. 29 2007,08:46) 17k on mine, back brakes look new also!!second set up front.you guys are using the rear for what?
You're kidding right?

Don't use the rear brake nearly as much as I used to...only in STOP IMMEDIATELY situations. Never while in a turn and it will increase wear rate on your rear tire.

Just changed mine at the end of last year along with both front and rear tires. Thought it was going to be a pain but turned out to be easy. I am used to having to fight with recessing the calipers on car breaks so it was a nice change of pace to have them go back in nice and easy. All I need to do now is change the oil and I'm ready to go.

kml, I think I can make out the molecules that make up your pads
laugh.gif
. I use my rear brake primarily in parking lots and such but there are plenty of situations in street riding that call for using it too, in my opinion.

20K on rear pads & plenty O meat left. Use at stop light & panic stops - -oh yeah & the no handed stop
wow.gif

started using the rear brakes more cause the fronts have a slight pulsation so i let off a little and use the rear brakes a bit more going to try new pads up front in a few weeks if that doesn't help may need new rotors dont think warrenty will cover them

Back