ROADTOAD's new ride

The Ohlins forks feel so light , when I picked them up from my tech the other day , I had to check both were actually in the box !! :)
Did your bike come with an Ohlins rear shock? I saw a new ZX at a dealership last summer and it had an Ohlins sticker on it and a remote reservoir

The one I saw must have been a special model maybe? I can't recall if it had Ohlins up front as I was just walking by when I noticed the Ohlins sticker and reservoir...
No , they have been coming out with the rear now since 2016 I believe . But Limited Editions had them fitted in 2013+ . The ZX14R comes standard with Ohlins rear TTX39 and with Brembos too .

The one I saw must have been a special model maybe? I can't recall if it had Ohlins up front as I was just walking by when I noticed the Ohlins sticker and reservoir...
I have seen them. They came stock on some international versions of the ZX14. They are not on their site anymore because they don't sell them there anymore.

They are like that factory standard now , the Akrapovic mufflers are slipons as sold in Europe . No factory zx14r comes with Ohlins forks , but you can buy the latest 30mm cartridge fgrt207 for them , but people better check if they are able to fit the 100mm span calipers . They have the rear shock as mentioned and sport 100mm M50 Brembo , instead of usual Japanese 108mm .

Been sort of busy at it since last update , I gave the bike a full service , then I got onto exhaust fitment , followed by the pc5 . Today , I fitted up the Ohlins forks . The BST wheels are not fitted with tires yet , the wheels are untouched except I put the rear disc on . I have decided to see if the new wheel and tire running the stock 42T sprocket will fit with this chain , and then try out the 45T with the new chain , and see how the 14R goes . The 14R can have potential issues with shorter gearing , so I got to see what is what . It could mean a bit more messing around till I settle on the short gearing , and end up

for now , just mess around on the standard ratio .

You can loose a couple ounces by removing that foam pad behind the RH ram air tube. I sawed off the whole piece that thing attaches to on my 08. Take all the pads out of the fairings and weigh them. You'll be surprised at what they weigh...a few ounces anyway. Remove the steel indicator/foam pad brackets from the side fairings and put the indicators back in without. Also, if there is a wing shaped deflector behind the top of the radiator, that and all brackets are off my bike. The steering stem guard by the horn can com off too. I never notice stuff fly up at me and mine's been off for years. Take the horn off while you're at it. Those rubber heat shields on the engine and air box actually weigh a couple pounds. Requires cutting unless you take off the throttle bodies. Take the air box one off at least. You don't need that hose retainer on the lower RH side and you don't need the spring on the lower LH hose. Mirrors- go with a bar end mirror and mirror caps.

There I saved you at least 10 lbs right there. Can you totally remove the PAIR from the Gen2? Take it out if you can.

Those tail subframe rails are tricky to remove. Use a open end so you don't get the wrench trapped like I did. They weigh a pound. I have noticed my tail pods crack since removing them but still have not determined if running railless was the cause.

The new sprockets will save you weight over stock. Consider removing the plate, screws and damper from the sprocket cover too.

Few more pounds gone!!

Check this out. It's everything I know about taking weight off a Gen1 ZX-14. I'm going to get a hundred pounds before I'm done.

Last edited:
You can loose a couple ounces by removing that foam pad behind the RH ram air tube. I sawed off the whole piece that thing attaches to on my 08. Take all the pads out of the fairings and weigh them. You'll be surprised at what they weigh...a few ounces anyway. Remove the steel indicator/foam pad brackets from the side fairings and put the indicators back in without. Also, if there is a wing shaped deflector behind the top of the radiator, that and all brackets are off my bike. The steering stem guard by the horn can com off too. I never notice stuff fly up at me and mine's been off for years. Take the horn off while you're at it. Those rubber heat shields on the engine and air box actually weigh a couple pounds. Requires cutting unless you take off the throttle bodies. Take the air box one off at least. You don't need that hose retainer on the lower RH side and you don't need the spring on the lower LH hose. Mirrors- go with a bar end mirror and mirror caps.

There I saved you at least 10 lbs right there. Can you totally remove the PAIR from the Gen2? Take it out if you can.

Those tail subframe rails are tricky to remove. Use a open end so you don't get the wrench trapped like I did. They weigh a pound. I have noticed my tail pods crack since removing them but still have not determined if running railless was the cause.

The new sprockets will save you weight over stock. Consider removing the plate, screws and damper from the sprocket cover too.

Few more pounds gone!!

@c10 :super: :banana: :super: :banana: :super: :banana: :super: :banana:

Few more pounds gone!!

Check this out. It's everything I know about taking weight off a Gen1 ZX-14. I'm going to get a hundred pounds before I'm done.

I will be keeping that post of yours for future reference for sure Mythos , got some extensive weight shaving right there !!

I'm about to make a thread about the foam lol .
DAnG!!! over a quarter pound ......... of FOAM! I still have all mine in on the busa. Makes the side panels feel nice and snug when I put them on I guess but I don't think it does much else. Maybe dampen fairing vibration? I never have lost a fairing screw on the busa but I still think they'd all be fine without the foam.

I will be keeping that post of yours for future reference for sure Mythos , got some extensive weight shaving right there !!
While you're at it, take that frame rail off the LH side. Figure out some P-clips to attach the wire harnesses to, go with an aftermarket clutch line....there's another pound. I have had my LH side rail off for about 4 years and no trouble whatsoever. ;) I turned the battery box rear bolt hole for the rail into an electrical ground. There's how-to threads for all this stuff over at ninjaforums.

Back